How extensive is your vocabulary?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by BillyxRansom, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I was once reprimanded by a couple’s councilor (that’s a whole other story) about my vocabulary and my use of polysyllabic verbiage. The ‘doctor’ in question told me that my use of words outside of the common diction was an aggressive action on my part.

That was the most ridiculous load of cow-plop I had ever heard. I told the ‘doctor’ (oh yeah, go ahead and do the really sarcastic air quotes with me now!) that I was not about to apologize for my vocabulary and grasp of grammar.

This is what the guy told me: “The average newspaper is written at the fifth grade reading level.”

I told him: “Well, go ahead and speak at the fifth grade level if you want.”

I walked home from that visit.

2. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually
    Ahahaha, it's hilarious when people do that. It's a defense mechanism because they can't grasp a college level vocabulary. It's horrifying that people think you should speak a certain way so you make yourself clear to people that read at a "fifth grade reading level".

On a related note, I have weekly meetings with a psychologist. Mine seems to think that drawing cartoons is my way of subconsciously expressing my fears and self-hatred.

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

In writing, my vocabulary is transient...it travels far and wide, generally as a function of my intended readers' expectations and the limitations/attributes of my characters. For some reason, I seem to like 'hanging out' with characters who spit on the ground, swear and use "ain't" in every third sentence. I feel more at home with the unpretentious riffraff of life! LOL

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I have a pathetic vocabulary. Period. But, enough to write a normal teenage or young adult novel. So yeah, I have nothing much to worry. Just have to keep reading. :D

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I would say above average since I tend to read a lot more than my peers.