How many pages should a good action sequence be?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    2-4 pages depending on how in depth you want to get with it. Since you have limited your word allotment going over 2.5 will eat into your story line. So use your words and your action sequences sparingly. 3 Full pages is about 2400 words in Times New Roman 12, just to give you a rough idea of what you can do considering your limitations of words. I hope this will help you in your endeavors and good luck with your WIP. :p

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

For most manuscripts, 3 full pages would be about 750 words. (every other line, 12 pt).

I'm not sure how you would cram 800 words onto one page in 12pt font, but this discrepancy does show why it's best to use number of words instead of number of pages when talking about length.

And hopefully the action sequences are part of the story line, as well as being part of the characterization, setting, etc. So I'm not sure it makes sense to talk about action eating into the story line...

Oscar Leigh likes this.