1. Keyvee

Keyvee Member

How to call book parts

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Keyvee, Sep 26, 2011.

I am currently wondering how to name the parts of the book. This is what I have done so far:

- There are 3 books to be in a trilogy, so I called each book an episode (0, 1, 2,3)
    - Each book consists of 5 parts (independent?) each part is separated by 1-2 week break in plot, I called them "parts"
    - Each part lasts about 1-2 days in plot, and every break longer than 10 minutes ends a chapter.

All in all, I have Book title Episode 1, Part 1- Subtitle

The question is, do I use the names episode and parts in a correct way? I found someone using the word "volume", but I don't really know whether replace an episode or a part with this name (if necessary)

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

"Episode" makes me think of television. I've only ever heard of each book in a series being called a "volume".

"Parts" works fine. A book I read a few weeks ago, Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase, was split into parts with each part containing several chapters.

3. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I have only ever heard of series being labeled as "Part 1" or "Volume 1" or "The First Book in the blah blah blah Trilogy" etc.

I completely agree with Yoshiko, episodes sounds like TV.

Edit: To clarify, I would name each book in the trilogy with "Volume 1 of blah blah blah Trilogy" "Volume 2 of blah blah blah Trilogy" "Volume 3 of blah blah blah trilogy" and I would stick with Part 1 through whatever inside the book to keep it separated as you want it. Then in each "part" I would keep the chapter numbers as well.

I hope this made sense.

4. Protar

Protar Active Member

Volume would be more suitable, but I have to wonder what is the point in all this? How is the book benefiting from such a system?

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'd go with "part". "Volume" sounds pretentious to me. And "episode", as has been said above, sounds televisual.

And this sounds like a fairly gargantuan work.

6. Timothy Giant

Timothy Giant Member

You can also do it like: Book title, book 1, part 1 - subtitle. I agree that volume might sound a bit pretentious, and I always think it's more for encyclopaediae and anthologies and so.

7. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I was thinking the same thing, but he/she wants to have it separated as "parts" inside the actual book. Using it twice seems redundant to me.

8. Keyvee

Keyvee Member

All in All, many of you believe that "volume" is not suitable any more. I will go with :

TITLE: Book 1- subtitle

Thank You guys for feedback

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

All books have the same characters and the plot timeline is 4 months, so I wanted to divide the whole project into separate units, each dealing with something else.