1. Erin Drello

Erin Drello New Member

Agents How to look for an agent?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Erin Drello, Mar 8, 2013.

I am a new blog writer and I am having some mild success with the two blogs I am writing. Especially considering I only market through social media. So I am wondering where to start in looking for an agent. Can anyone help?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

agents don't represent bloggers... they only rep books...

what did you think an agent could do for you in re your blogs?... what you are probably looking for is a 'publicist'...

3. live2write

live2write Contributing Member

Then how do you find an agent for publishing a novel/book?

Especially with blog writing, isn't there a way where she can write an exclusive book that is an extension from the blog?

4. Erin Drello

Erin Drello New Member

Thanks... This is exactly what I wanted to say.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

agentquery.com is a good place to start.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

Follow them on twitter. A lot of them post a lot of good stuff, and also link to other blogs and websites of lit agents. Also, if you can go to writing conferences, that's a great place to meet agents.

7. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

Anyone know of a good resource for finding agents in the UK? ...or should us Brits be going for US agents where possible?

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have several good agent listings for various parts of the world... you can email me for them... maia3maia@hotmail.com

if you want the widest range of publishing opportunities of course you can seek a US agent and publisher, no matter where you live...

as for a book of blogs, i can't imagine any agent or publisher being interested unless the blogger is as well known as arianna huffington...

9. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

Agent Hunter is a very new website. It has a searchable database of UK agents, and is impressively comprehensive and detailed. You need to pay for it, but it's only £12 per year, and if you're seriously looking for an agent then I can imagine it will more than pay for itself soon enough.

10. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

Thanks Mammamaia and Krishan. When I'm ready to start peddling my wares I'll be sure to do that. :)

11. MushroomAnna

MushroomAnna New Member

Go to Agency Websites

My experience was pretty straightforward for finding an agent. I searched through literary agency websites and found agents that represent the sort of work I'm into. Most agency websites have a number of agents listed, along with a 'mission statement' that includes their interests. Often, agents also have blogs, and sometimes lists of titles they've represented. I do recommend going straight to agency websites because they're intended to promote the agency, and given that they tend to give a lot of information about the different agents, their careers, and how best to submit work for consideration. Then, put together a query and shoot it out. For a novel, do note that it's expected that you'll have a complete manuscript before you seek a publisher or agency representation. If you want to write nonfiction, then put together a proposal along with some sample chapters. Good luck!