I can't make decent fantasy names.

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Link the Writer, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

In fact, doing so would make your MC seem that much better with the comparison.

2. thabear637

thabear637 New Member

Of course theres nothing wrong with that. Theres a book called Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. His main characters name is Richard Cypher.

Granted, he does have a wizard named zeddicus zul zurrander too...

3. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Hey Ink? You say that this is a children's book? I'm wondering what age group you are targeting your story for, cause honestly that makes all the difference. Someone said something about if they are hard to pronounce or not, which is very important.

I think it was Arc that said research plants, flowers, and stuff in the forrest for names. That is a brilliant idea. You want this fantasy in the forest right? Perfect for name picking....like picking the flowers themselves.

And something else too. The story is about a girl, are you gearing it towards only girl books and magazines for your audience? Like New Moon or Brilliant Star?

or a general audience? If so, you want soft for girls and strong for boys. Maybe the flower names for girls and a plants(being sturdy) for boys.

Last suggestion. I would stick to naming the girls with names ending in a vowel...any vowel except O...o is for the boys. Like Frollo, Han Solo and stuff like that. Consenents are ending in k's and c's sounds are escpecially strong names, IMO names like...(if your using real names then the "E" idea doesn't apply. So names like Drake, Jake, Nick, Rick, Darrick and other names like that.

As for girls...Garnetta (just whipped that up now) or Ambrie, Pearly, Emeralli...so the a's the e's the i's and the sometimes y's

Oh, one more thing. The syllable count...which for that too. One or two for boy characters and up to three for girls. Girls love the lacy long, pretty names. like umm Cinderalla? (oh thats four syllables...even more, see?) Haha...ok you get my point.

Good luck on your project.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Good advice. The book's aimed for general stuff, probably the same age group that Harry Potter was focused on. Children to young adults.

5. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Is this the one you're gonna use my name for? :p

Anyway, yeah, I had difficulty in my fantasy story too, but more with place names. I just used medieval names for the characters. Seriously, if you google that, you'll find a lot of interesting names. Ooh, I have this cool link, you can make names yourself and have a meaning for it too.

Link: http://www.keesn.nl/names/en4_list_ele.htm

The website www.behindthename.com (I think it's that) is pretty cool too.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Link the Writer

Thank ye, Lydia. Yeah, this was the one where the main character was gonna be called Lydia. XD

I was thinking of Lydia (insert Bulgarian last name). :3

7. Lydia

8. Link the Writer

Thank you, Lydia!

Hey, would I have to do any research on life of an 11-year-old Belgium (Sorry for saying "Bulgarian", what was I thinking. XD) girl or do I just go ahead with the name and write her in it? I say this because I don't want to accidentally protray her as an American if she's supposed to be from Belgium.

Things like school, sports girls play in over there, things like that.

9. Lydia

Lol yeah, she was supposed to be Belgian... *smacks self*

Hmm, I don't exactly know, I guess there's a difference, but for now I'd just write it how you think it, and then maybe if you'd ever post an exerpt I could say if something was wrong.

And as for the Belgian surname, lol, make your pick: http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Western/Belgium/Surnames.htm

10. Link the Writer

I can already see her pulling a Poriot now. XD

"I AM BELGIAN!!!"

lol.

Lydia Clessens. I think I like that.

11. Lydia

Don't make her as evil as me... she's only 11. :cool:

12. Link the Writer

I won't.

I'm working on her backstory now. Wanna read it?

13. amateur

amateur New Member

i made anagrams of my friends names for a jokey dragon book

14. Lydia

Yes sir!! :D

15. Link the Writer

Here it is:

PLOT: Lydia Clessens is an 11-year-old orphaned girl living with her uncle in Antwerpen, Belgium. She’s constantly bullied by her peers in Batte Middle School, especially during the softball games they play during recess.
    One day, she looses her lucky hat (that she always wears, regardless of what her teachers say) as it flies off into the Schelde River. In a desperate attempt, she dives straight into the river…only to reappear in a strange, wooded area far away from home. She’s rescued by a rouge (a class of people in the Altransic kingdom that trains with the bow) who takes her to see the Altransic king who, she is surprised to learn, is NOT some evil overlord enslaving everyone like in the books she reads. Instead, he’s a very worrisome, OCD king with a dark secret. As she explores the land, she learns of the great tragedy that befell the kingdom, the sinking of their mighty ship, The Solarwind and uncovers a conspiracy by nobles to overthrow this inept king.
    Lydia must unite the people to fight for the king, but, as she learns, she must learn the true meaning of courage and determination, that she too could be a hero without her hat.

16. Lydia

Coowl... :cool:

But ehm, yeah, they don't really play softbal over here. What I can remember (when I was that age) is that we didn't really play any sports during recess... More like hide and seek, tag, stuff like that. The boys played football, and the girls talked. :p

17. Link the Writer

Ah, I see. Good to know. *makes edits*