1. writewizard

writewizard Contributing Member

I need a book on bipolar...

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by writewizard, Dec 26, 2009.

I need a book on bipolar. The thing is, I don't want an informational book on bipolar. I want a book about someone who has lived through the experience for me to write on my character. I found a really good one but it was written in the 1950s. I'd like something a little more recent. Preferably someone with the Bipolar I or Bipolar II: Hypomania disease, but anything is fine.

- Thanks
    Writewizard ;)

2. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributing Member Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    My autobiography is due out soon, try that!

Okay, not really. The book "Impulse" by Ellen Hopkins has a bipolar character who slef-medicates through self-harm and attempts suicide before being placed in a suicide-rehab center sort-of place with two other psychotic individuals.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributing Member Contributor

Try the bell jar by Sylvia Plath. Pretty much reads as the description above ^

4. TyperShark

TyperShark New Member

Check out Manic by Terri Cheney, a psychologist AND bi-polar patient. One of my favorites for psychology

also, An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison, yet another psycholoist and patient. I think, personally, Manic is much more graphic when it comes to the mood swings. Read both if you have the time. I love them both.

5. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributing Member Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    I was going to mention Jamison as well, but my mind immediately jumped to "Touched with Fire" having read it for a class.

6. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost Contributing Member

Google Canadian alternative musician Matthew Good's blog. He writes there about his own struggle with bipolarity over the last few years. It is extremely honest and well-written, I find. Do a search for his story of the recording of his album Hospital Music; that has the best account of how he has dealt with bipolarity.

(Not to mention Good's music and lyrics read like poetry and are beautifully orchestrated)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't know about not being allowed links.