I'm desperate. My novel is growing too large!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Man in the Box, Apr 20, 2012.

1. simplyrachel

simplyrachel New Member

take out things that dont really need to be in there. things that dont necessarily move the novel along.

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    But only do that when you've finished. And remember that things might need to be in there to control the pace and to immerse the reader in the world of the book; advancing plot is not the only reason for something to be in there.

3. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
  4. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

It doesn't matter if it's long, you shouldn't really put too many restrictions on the creative part of writing. I've been told that when it comes to editing and revising, you have to change it and take a lot out anyway.

5. Dryriver

Dryriver New Member

There is nothing wrong with writing a long novel (e.g. 500 pages). Stephen King does it all the time. As long as your story, characters, ideas are interesting, and your writing is good, most people will gladly spend a few days reading through your novel.

Publishing is another matter. It is often said that publishers don't like material longer than 80,000 - 100,000 words for first-time writers. Don't know if that's true in real life, or not.

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

It should be as long as it needs to be. Case in point, I'm currently working on a sequal to The End, which is a short story of fifteen thousand words or so. I just did a word check on it and its over forty thousand words and there's a ways to go. This may confuse readers a little, as they expect one thing and get another, but in the end it is what it is. I'm not going to worry about it - about my fingers growing shorter by the day maybe, but not the length of a book.

Cheers, Greg.