Im getting really tired of Vampires.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

haha i agree Twilight makes want to throw the book into a burning fire it's so bad haha.

2. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

^^That is what I've been trying to tell my sister.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I haven't read Twilight. I did read New Moon, and was unimpressed. Not quite as nauseated as I expected to be, but certainly not converted.

To be clear - I did not waste good money to read it. There was a copy available in a book swap bookcase in the local laundromat. I borrowed it, read it, and returned it.

4. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I read both Twilight and New Moon. I didn't like either of them. Twilight just dragged on, and New Moon was just Bella whining constantly and it didn't help the story along very well.

5. LostBreakingDevelopment

LostBreakingDevelopment New Member

I see what you mean, I actually thought the plot was somewhat engaging I just had major problems with the poor writing. Some of the dialogue pieces are just plain laughable.

The great Stephen King recently talked about how Harry Potter is a great series because it's about friendship, growth, and good and evil on multiple levels while Twilight stresses the significance of having a boyfriend.
    Glad you didn't have to waste your money pal haha

6. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

i just find it unfortunate that now because of averyones craze of twilight (good or bad) any vampire novel that comes out now is being conected to twilight and the fact that all these ya novels have come out after twilight; cause my freind writes about vampires and warewolves but this was before she had even hearrd of twilight and befor the films and before this huge craze over the books so if she ever published it, it would be complained about that itss another vampire novel. by the way i am a twilight fan but everyones entitled to there own likes and dislikes :)

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Everything. :D It's so bad!

I think eventually this whole vampire craze will blow over and those books will stop appearing on the shelves. I remember in 8th grade how practically the whole school was reading them... I'm going into 11th grade this year and you don't see the books around much anymore, thank God.

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Wow, I'm so glad someone revived this thread...

9. Cogito

Dragged it back from the undead. Yay.

10. YoungCreature

YoungCreature New Member

Good. Because I hate vampires.

11. Cogito

I'm not sanguine about them either.

12. Gigi_GNR

I don't know many people who are.

13. Wrathnar the Unreasonable

Wrathnar the Unreasonable New Member

Generally, I find the original vampire folklore much more interesting than modern vampire novels. Some notable exceptions are 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova, and 'Carmilla' by J Sheridan Lefanu - the original vampire novel (novella), pre Bram Stoker.

On the subject of the watering-down of vampires:

My grandfather had researched the mythology of the wampyr for most of his life. He had travelled extensively in Hungary and Romania, collecting ancient legends, many of which were preserved in the strange, sad folksongs of peasant musicians in remote mountain villages. Those folktales bore little resemblance to the modern vampire mythology of Western Europe. The millsandboonification of the wampyr that had been started by Bram Stoker had given rise to stories which were more bodice-ripper than throat-ripper. Grandfather had believed that the original wampyr legends may have had some factual basis; this much was clear from his letters.
    (Extract from my story 'I vill come', posted on short stories/horror.)

14. Gigi_GNR

All things considered, I prefer zombies myself. :) Not really a way to water those down.

15. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

hahaha this made me laugh, you never know! you can never tell what may come along and a twilight version of zombies may be on the way hehe :p

16. Gigi_GNR

Oh god, I'd hope not. :eek:

17. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

I think I just lost my lunch...

18. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I'm not sick of the vampire novels yet. Bring 'em on!

I like this trend. I'm a romance/ero writer and I wrote about vampires falling in love with humans before Twilight became so big. It completely turned me off the idea and the work I'm producing now is getting far better response. So, thank you whatever-the-author's-name-is!

I've only read a few YA books so I don't even go near that section in the book store. ;) Read House of Night on recommendation from my friend and they weren't too bad at first but I became fed-up by Bk 4.

19. Gigi_GNR

I got fed up with House of Night as well. My best friend is a vampire addict, but the books she picks are more or less all of the same variety. :p

20. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

This kinf of infestation is very annoying to me because I always loved the literary figure of the vampire long before they became popular, or better, long before this washed up revisitation of the old myth became fashionable. I always loved stories with vampire that tore people apart and fed in fountains of arterial blood, vampires like "the lost boys" or "near dark", outcasts of society, sort of rebels of the status quo, and now all I got are a bunch of EMO kids in heat.

Utterly disappointing.:mad:

21. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Vampires were popular with the emo-crowd pre-Twilight (easiest way to summarise when it came about). Now they're just popular with everyone.

22. Cogito

Well, not everyone.

23. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The other types of vampire stories are still out there. Just read those instead.

24. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

It's difficult today to find a good vampire story, I'm starting to think that the popularity of a genre is inversely proportional to the number of good novels, in short, it's more difficult to write a good story of a popular genre than writing a good story for a niche market. Deflaction perhaps?

I would disagree: in the 80s vempires were quite popular, yesterday they aired "lost boys" and I forgot how good that movie was, but I suspect that today's EMOs wouldn't like it at all.

25. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

They do seem to be harder to find. Though I wonder if there have ever been more than a small handful of good vampire stories being published at any given time, and if the popularity of things like Twilight simply make the already small number seem even more diminutive by comparison.

I liked The Historian well enough. Simon Clark's Vampyrrhic was OK. Dan Simmon's Children of the Night was quite good, but we're going back to the early 90s for that one I think. I also quite enjoyed The Traveling Vampire Show, by Richard Laymon.