International Slang 101

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Gary Galah - A term for a loud, rudely behaved man (Can be Galah, but commonly Gary Gallah). Its a Loud bird.

We like bird slang here

2. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

:D
    I could say something, but I just won't.

This is fun though. ;P

3. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Aussie slang's most interesting.

ha what is it with the birds??

4. becca

Hmmm....read back through the converstation, all the way the the buggie smuggler thing. If that doesn't explain it...I don't know what might. ;)

5. sophie.

sophie. New Member

oh yeh i get the budgie smugglers....it's jst funny how birds are so popular :S

here its probably sheep. . . *convo stops*

(i live in the country lol)

6. becca

ya'll -Mostly from the southern states of the US, means all of you, you guys, collectively everyone in hearing distance.

7. Speedy

Aussie B Slang

Two Aussie blokes caught the train too Brizzie. Brisvegas was the capital of the bananabender country. A place full of Bogan’s and Boogie- boards, and barbies on hot stinking days. While the men ate bikkies for brekkie, they watched as a bludger looking like a boomer walked into the boozer. Bluey looked at Banga and said “Bloody oat mate.”. Banga looked at Bluey and said “Bloody hell, right on”

“That guy looked like a bushie from outback” Said Banga while blowing a bush oyster out his nose.

“His got Buckley’s hope of getting a drink from in their. He should have gone to the bottle-o instead.”

“Yeah but his built like a brick shi.. house” replied Bluey.

"Its ok bluey, i just saw the booze bus just than, they'll pick him up"

8. becca

I don't have any idea what half of those words mean.

rocks - As in: That rocks!; means cool, awesome, amazing.

9. becca

Yank or Yankee - Someone from the northern coutries of the US (for those of you that like to call all of us Yanks, that might make a southerner mad) mostly during the US civil war, when the northern or Union army were called Yankees by the southerners.

By the way, the Union army won, incase you don't know.

Rebel - Someone who fought for the Confederate army in the US Civil War, from the souther states. (Confederates - people from the south that fought against the Union army) Also: Someone who goes against the grain and isn't willing to conform; someone who does things their own way no matter what.

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I find it funny, that over in the UK Yank or Yankee refers to Americans in general :p

11. becca

Yeah, but I thought I would give you the tip. I always pictured in my head, a rock solid southerner going over to England, and having someone call him a yank. Then the southerner going balistic, and beating the crap out of said Englishman.

It was a very funny thought.

12. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Probably similar to an American calling a scotsman English ;)

13. star_fire

star_fire New Member

lol. my school is mostly hard-core rebels (even though i'm in ohio...anybody else confused?!) and believe me, someone calls them a yank and they would definitely regret it.

14. Speedy

Aussie B Slang

Two Aussie blokes (men) caught the train too Brizzie (Brisbane, capital of queensland). Brisvegas (Brisbane) was the capital of the bananabender (Queensland)country. A place full of Bogan’s (Rednecks) and Boogie- (boards 0 Like a surf board but square), and barbies (BBQ) on hot stinking days. While the men ate bikkies (Biscuits) for brekkie (Breakfast), they watched as a bludger (Lazy bum) looking like a boomer (Tall man, like big kangeroo) walked into the boozer (pub). Bluey (Red heair man) looked at Banga (usually construction worker) and said “Bloody oat [absolutly, I kid you not, take my word]mate.”. Banga looked at Bluey and said “Bloody hell [Your right, jeez], right on”

“That guy looked like a bushie [Country folk, old timer] from outback” Said Banga while blowing a bush oyster [Snot] out his nose.

“His got Buckley’s hope [No chance] of getting a drink from in their. He should have gone to the bottle-o [Where you buy alcohol]instead.”

“Yeah but his built like a brick shi.. house[built well, or built badly, can depend on tone andsituation] replied Bluey.

"Its ok bluey, i just saw the booze bus [Police car] just than, they'll pick him up"

15. becca

Thanks for the definitions there Speedy.

My hub gets pissed that the rebs lost. I would be a union supporter. Needless to say that if we had meet during the civil war we would have ended each other. But we are happy married. Life is a wonderful thing!

16. becca

Right now Speedy is in the lead, having the most slang definitions. I have counted, roughly, 41. EVEN MORE THAN ME AWWWW!

17. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Same in Aus.

Interestingly enough, the Aussie slang 'pom' or 'pommy', which is now slightly derogatory of those that hail from England, originated as a term English immigrants used to refer to themselves. It was, in fact, an acronym: P.O.M.E. - which stood for Proud of Mother England.

The Aussie slang that Speedy has demonstrated is commonly and collectively referred to as 'ocker', the most famous of our true blue, ocker Aussies being Steve Irwin.

Most of the slang I actually use is gathered from the world 'round, rather than traditional Ocker - I've even found myself using words like 'canna' and 'didna', particularly after watching a Billy Connoly show, or summat. :D

18. becca

It's strange what we pic up from other cultures when we hear them or see them on TV. I have found myself repeating stuff I hear.

It is also interesting that some of the slang means similar things in different countries.

19. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

All I can contribute without reading all the other replies (I only use the most common slang, I can't stand stuff like "bling bling" or "off the hook" or "sick") is a term used in northern Michigan.

A "fudgie" is a tourist of the most stereotypical, annoying sort. So named for their habit of going to the beautiful, historic Mackinac Island and eschewing the wonderful natural landmarks and lovely buildings and intriguing history of the place just so they can buy some fudge and perhaps stop by the Grand Hotel, take a few snapshots, then go home.

Stupid fudgies.

That's all I got. :redface:

20. becca

That is cute, and quite funny.

21. becca

hubby -Husband.

old lady or old man - Husband/wife or father/mother

22. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Yeah. Don't do that ;)

23. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Shmammmered and ridonkulous. I've only ever heard Canadians use these. Shmammered means very drunk, and ridonkulous is used for the most ridiculous things you can think of, or things that are completely out of this world and unexpected.

24. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I don't know why, but the meaning of shmammered seemed obvious the moment I read it.

25. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

My dad says ridonkulous. A lot.