1. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Is Rosetta Stone any good?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thomas Kitchen, May 11, 2013.

Hi all,

I've decided I want to learn a language (not sure which one yet, but Russian and Mandarin grab my attention) as I wish to expand and talk with people from across the world - I only speak English and Welsh! :( Anyway, I've heard Rosetta Stone is fantastic for learning languages, and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with it in some way, in any language.

Help would be nice.

Thank you! :D

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Staff Contributor

I used it somewhat to learn spanish. It's a really good program, but the way that it teaches you is through associations between pictures and words, and LOTS and LOTS of repetition.

I think that it will give you a good basic understanding, but you will still have to study the grammar to really progress.

Learning a new language isn't easy, and it takes time and effort, there is no silver bullet for it. But, I think the Rosetta Stone program will help you get on your way.

3. Michael O

Michael O Contributing Member

Bought the Rose Stone for my son and he clepped a Spanish class in college.

My sister had a drop-dead gorgeous friend. Never build-up the nerve to hit on her. Some time later I learned she went to Italy and had sex with a stranger by the leaning tower of pisa. All because he a-spoka Italian and had-a penis. Had I known she was that frigging easy....I would have bought the Rose Stone.

Think I bout covered it all...money and sex. Hope that helps you.

4. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Lessons by a native/fluent speaker and immersion into said country are way better. Speaking from experience.

5. muscle979

muscle979 Member

Agreed. Programs like Rosetta Stone can help build a good survival level knowledge of the language but to really understand it at the next level you have to interact with native speakers.

6. Terralala

Terralala Member

I am using it to learn German and I love it. My husband speaks German so that does help but I find Rosetta stone easy to use and a great independent study tool.