1. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Judging in a vacuum

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by BallerGamer, Jul 31, 2012.

I've heard this term being used before though I don't exactly comprehend its full meaning, and whenever I've tried looking on the internet it leads me to articles in which it's being used rather than giving me explanations. There's a point in my story where I think I want to use it but I have a feeling that I'm mistaking "vacuum" wrongly in this situation.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

Usually it means trying to assess something without having the proper context. Often this might be used with respect to a piece of writing or a moral dilemma.

3. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I see, so I did mistake the use of vacuum. At first I thought of like a vacuum cleaner and the phrase was another way of saying stereotype, like if I met a person from New York and they were rude, I would automatically assume they possessed all those other stereotypes. I had a feeling the term vacuum here was being used to mean "nothing".

Thanks!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that is what it means... as in you are making judgments with nothing to go on... no background/experience/knowledge of the subject/person you are passing judgment on...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A vacuum is a space which contains nothing. It has come to mean an airless space, but the original neaning is just emptiness.

Judging in a vacuum therefore means coming to a decision with nothing to base it upon.