Let's try asking for the stuff I need again.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Isaiah Harden, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

Um, no. I already have a plot down, friend. I need a conflict to revolve it around, though.

2. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

As too many posts to count have already told you...That is your job. With no conflict, there is no plot...These boards and writers are not your Magic 8 ball. Do your own research. What books keep you reading? What is it about those books that keep you reading? Ask the basic questions. You keep trying to get us to give you answers you need to find for yourself.

This might be blunt, but have you ever even attempted to write a story before. I have honestly never come across a more backward and obtuse approach. Start with a character, follow said character and see what plays out. Diagrams and charts are great for presentations, but for creating fictional worlds...They stink.

3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I need some clarification. The phrase "animal, weapon" is ambiguous.

By that, do you mean an animal and a weapon, an animal with a weapon, an animal that looks like a weapon, a weapon that looks like an animal, or an weapon for an animal, etc.

Would a "fire animal weapon" be a command to an animal, like, "Hey, beaver, fire at will!"

Would an "air animal weapon" be a shotgun for a Macy's Parade balloon 'Garfield'?

As you can see, I'm confused. And, boy, you should see my e-mails on this...

4. DayOwl

DayOwl New Member

...If somehow The Tourist ends up writing your story, I will be reading it.

5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I'm working on the arc right now.

The air animals walk on two by two, the fire animals walk on two by two...

6. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

I mean animal and a weapon. An animal and a weapon that represents the element respectively.

So far, I have:

Fire: Eagle, Twin Swords
    Water: Shark, Boomerang
    Earth: Bear, Hammer
    Lightning: Falcon, Bow
    Wood: Stag Beetle, Dual Pronged Spear
    Air: Hawk, Bow
    Ice: Wolf, Daggar(/Gladius).
    Light: Lion, Lion Claws (like the claws Wolverine have. Except there like gauntlets and retractable).

After staying up late at night looking for the info, I came up with this. Now, I just need some advice/help i.e reading the list and adding on to it and improving it.

7. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

And no one is stealing this story from me. Or they will find themselves chewed up and spat out.

8. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I don't think anyone wants it.

9. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

So was that, "I'm making a story arc stuff,": 1. Sarcasm. 2. Serious. 3. Pure and Utter crap?

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

The stuff I'm getting seems to be that we don't exactly know what you want, or how to interpret the fire-air-animal thingie. People are confused.

I think if you asked something like, "Mary Sue needs a fire totem for her favorite animal and I'd like her to have a nice gun," then people might give you some direction.

If that's off base, explain the issue. The people here are good folks, they love writing. But give us a compass and a road map on this one.

11. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

Oh.... Whoops, heh.... Well, in that case: I need an animal, weapon, superhuman ability/power, and a gemstone (for reference) for each character of my characters in my story ASAP please! The weapons should carry/have/represent a physical attribute of the animal. In other words, the weapon should look like a part of the animal and/or carry the attribute/trait of an animal be it a physical, mental, or spiritual attribute or trait and have a name in relation to the animal, the element, or both. Meanwhile, the superhuman power should be unrelated to the element but more to the animal. The gemstone should represent the superpower my characters possess or in other words be a kind of, "container/vessel/can," for the power. In other words, it should be the the kind of object which holds the power and can be possessed by anyone under a certain condition (which I'm not going into detail about and don't ask me to. You'll need to read the book when it comes out ;) ). I also need names for the weapons like Pyre Twin Swords or Wolf Dagger for the weapons listed. And they don't necessarily need to be the same names/types as the weapons already listed below and your free to change/modify/improve not only the weapons, but also the animals and the names for the characters which haven't been listed with the exception of the elements I'm using. In other words, they don't have to be the same weapon or animal. The ones that say the names of the categories/preferences i.e Superhuman Power and/or Gemstone mean that I need ideas and your opinions/ideas for those respective categories/preferences

Fire/Conner: Eagle, Twin Swords, Superhuman Power, Gemstone
    Water: Shark, Boomerang, Superhuman Ability, Gemstone
    Earth: Bear, Hammer, Superhuman Power, Gemstone
    Lightning: Falcon, Superhuman Power, Gemstone
    Wood: Stag Beetle, Dual Pronged Spear, Superhuman Power, Gemstone
    Air: Hawk, Bow, Superhuman Power, Gemstone
    Ice: Wolf, Dagger(/Gladius), Superhuman Power, Gemstone
    Light: Lion, Lion Claws (like the claws Wolverine have. Except there like gauntlets and retractable), Superhuman Power, Gemstone

Thanks for your help guys!

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Actually, that's the question we have all been asking you.

13. Lunatia

Lunatia New Member

Isaiah Harden, just to point out what everyone here are saying: You are asking other people to do your work. You're asking us a shopping list of 36 items. If you already have, say, 29 items and are truly stuck, then you'll find the people here very helpful. But, to me, it looks like you're not even trying. I immediately thought a few up just by looking at your list. It's easy enough if even I can do it. Give it a go, you might love it. :)

14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If you think it's that easy for us, then surely it's just as easy for you. Since it's your story, it seems logical that you, not us, should do the work.

15. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

I have around 24 out of 40 of my items and I've been stuck since LATE LAST YEAR, FRIGGIN DECEMBER TO BE EXACT! I've been asking for help this whole time! Come on, man! Refer to post 36 on this thread

16. GhostWolfe

GhostWolfe New Member

Gemstones: google websites about semi-precious stones. Look at the colours, the names, the 'powers' they are traditionally associated with. Pair them up to your elements.

Superpowers: google websites about superpowers & superheroes. Take inspiration from old RPGs like "Mutants & Masterminds" which included entire books describing just about every power ever used in a Marvel comic. Think about the qualities of a person who would be associated with an element & what superpowers would suit them.

17. Lunatia

Lunatia New Member

Ah, clumsy me. Here I was referring to post #1 this whole time. ;)

GhostWolfe here gives very good advice. Also, if you really can't come up with anything else, check out Bulbapedia. It's a Pokémon website. They have pretty much everything you are asking for already done for many years now so you'll be consulting real experts in this field. Good luck. :)

18. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Have you considered the idea that you're making this too complicated? As in - have you done any actual writing of the story, or are you totally stuck on getting this list done? Because I'm thinking you should worry about this list as the need comes up - and in writing the story, you may find the answers you're looking for.

19. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

I've done the writing, thank you very much. But there are still blanks that need to be filled in. This list is one of those blanks.

20. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

A list of random combinations, does not a story make. That is what people have been trying to tell you. Set the thing aside and actually focus on the story itself...

21. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

And I will tell you the same thing which I have said already (and if I haven't, I'm telling you now): I have already made the story, however, as this is a fantasy tokusatsu I need superpowers to complete the characters, both the antagonists and the protagonists (and possibly more). And you can't have a story without complete characters, you know. It's a impossibility that famous authors would die of laughter or disappointment. As I said in the last comment, I have made my story however! There are still parts that need to be filled in, and these, "random combos/lists," whatever you want to call them, that apparently have no meaning, would fail to complete the story and fill the necessary blanks.... And apparently, an author whose been stuck on filling in these blanks with an already complete plot for so long that he's beyond his deadline could figure it out himself even after doing months of research and all. Even a flea could do it! Right?

22. shadowwalker

Well, now I'm more confused than ever as to what you need. You've written the story sans these superpowers, apparently ("I need superpowers to complete the characters"). So how important can these superpowers be if you've managed to write the story without them? Superpowers would, I assume, come in to play quite heavily in such a story. How can they use a superpower if you don't know what their superpower is? How could you have written the story without them? :confused:

23. Isaiah Harden

Isaiah Harden New Member

Well gee, maybe it's because, I dunno I only wrote the plot structure/story arc/outline. I still need one more element to complete it, in other words I need your guy's help to think of an idea.

24. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

At this point I'm not sure it matters, follow me.

It appears that you feel the central core to your lead/arc is some form of elemental-totem milieu. For the sake of a demonstration, let's suppose your lead was a gear-head. And you first you construct a plot line, create a character and devise the drama without any hardware influencing the overall concept.

So then you come here and openly ask the question. Should the lead drive a Viper, a Corvette, something Italian or ground-up custom? Does he like champ-car races, Nascar, drag racing or demolition derbies? Does he like Dalmations, Alsations or Rottweilers? Blonde, brunette or redhead?

But no matter what flavor yogurt he likes, these attributes become ancillary when the plot solidifies. And if your plot is weak, a talking Pekingese with spec-ops training won't save it.

25. shadowwalker

Well gee, maybe it's because, I dunno - we don't know what your story is about or what the overall plot is or what you're trying to accomplish and that's why we're apparently not giving you the detailed answers you want. Or maybe we just don't like the attitude so we're like, bowing out...

1 person likes this.