Martial Artists?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sabreur, Oct 12, 2009.

1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Gone Wishing -- the combative applications are hidden in the form elements and many T'ai Chi "teachers" are not proficient in interpreting the fighting applications of the form. They simply repeat the form mindlessly, never quite understanding the power within those movements. And, of course, they can't teach what they don't know.

2. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    May have my first trip to a Kyokushin dojo on Monday.

I'm very excited. From what I know, there are three classes. Classes on Monday and Wednesday are conditioning, both strength and cardio, as well as technique introduction. Friday is a sparring class. I'm required to do the technique/conditioning classes for a month before I do sparring, which is fine by me.

I can't wait, actually. Kyokushin is a very "hard" style, focused entirely on ending the fight through strikes, by knockdown or knockout. However, its traditional training and martial values appeal to me more than most modern "combat sports" or traditional martial arts. Not to knock either of them, but it seems a happy medium between the physicality of combat sports and the spirituality of traditional arts.

3. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

But that is my issue...lol. I didn't want to learn from someone that didn't have a full understanding of what they were teaching. Tai Chi is a martial art, first and foremost, and if you're not learning the full aspect of it then I don't see how you can get the most out of it. I realise the benefits are still there, but if you do have a full understanding of the movements you are going through, you're going to get more out of it... Not to mention that it becomes easier to understand and apply some of the techniques that are incredibly important in the practice of it, like the breathing (when, where etc) - you may not want to put the martial aspect into practice, and you don't need to know why you're doing this and that, but I just think it makes a difference if you do - otherwise you may as well just learn yoga or something. :p (I've read articles that suggest tai chi was derived from yoga, actually).

Though most movements aren't exactly immediately obvious in terms of their martial applications, I wouldn't necessarily say they're hidden, (some, like the jump-kicks are quite obvious XD) but many of the forms have variable applications in defence and offence, which can leave them open to interpretation.