My first driving lesson :D

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kit, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Won't do either! Spiders run after you to get you and well cars break!!!! oops :D:p

2. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

lol run!!!

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

They're faster - more legs

4. Torana

I hate spiders! :(

5. Cogito

Not crazy about them myself...

6. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Not bumper cars so much as forgetting which pedal's the brake and which is the acceleration.

Between manuals and automatics, I love the manuals - like Cogito said, it's so much more control. And you get to know the car more; get a feel for the engine and it's capabilities. I find you don't get that as much with automatics.

7. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Haha... you forgot the pedals? The only problem I've had regarding pedals is that my knee can sometimes get a cramp and I sometimes slip from the break pedal.

8. Torana

That is very true but I only have my automatic license as I had a bad experience during my learners with a manual and my ex partner.
    I will get my manual one day though.

I do suggest you get experience on all roads though, gravel and so forth. I learnt on a dangerous road to drive and found I can handle a car better now that I had that opportunity. Gravel roads can be hard to drive onat first when you are at a reasonable spead, so take it steady and you will be fine. Just do it before you get your license so you know what to expect later on.

Also get experience night driving. I didn't and well I wish I did to be honest.

9. Cogito

In our driving classes in upstate New York (snow country), part of our lessons including driving in snow and recovering from skids. We had to cause the car to skid on a highway and then recover control, and the instructor made us repeat it until we were confident.

Whenever I get a new car, I take it to a snowy lot at my first opportunity so I know exactly how it handles in a skid.

10. adamant

The Impreza I want is an AWD... dunno why, but I've always wanted a car like that. Also, another good thing about manuals is that they're usually $1000 cheaper.

11. Torana

we don't have that where I live anymore. Had it for a week or two but the speedway committee and council put a stop to it.

12. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

I pushed the wrong ones...my mom laughed at me for about five minutes after I did, too.

I live in Colorado, right in the Rocky Mountains, so I've got snow country too - I got my permit in January and spent my first four months driving only on ice - lots of experience skidding. Never managed to do it on the highway, though, seems like that would be a good idea, just for the experience. Both of my cars have awful traction, it's hell when I spin out.

13. Cogito

I've gone into a skid/spin on icy highways, and was glad for the training. My son, never having had that training, spun out at 60 mph a couple of years ago with his sister in the car. A snowbank and seat belts saved them from injury, but the car was totalled.

14. Torana

Some advice that I was given when I got my learners from the police officer is as follows;

"Treat everyone else on the road as a moron. Treat them as though thy have no idea what they are doing and you SHOULD be fine!"

I loved the fact that he called everyone a moron and the expression he used was absolutely hilarious as he said it too. :D

15. adamant

Eh... I do that, but it doesn't take much imagination. I've been meaning to write a list of all the stuff I've seen that irritates me on the road.

16. Torana

99% of things irritate me on the roads when I am driving, actually even as a passenger. I have bad road rage as a driver and passenger. :D:D

17. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Tell me about it. I'm normally mild mannered but when I'm driving I get agro at people for being toooooo slooooowwww down the main street when i'm late for work.

I got my learners permit when I was sixteen... I only just got my drivers liscence a few weeks ago. I'm twenty three!

18. Torana

I get agro on the freeway. It is a freeway, it has no stop signs or red lights and yet they still come to a grinding halt! argh!

19. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yeah. poncy..... anyhoo. Just irritated me when, I'm dort of late for work when the car above me stops and lets out a passanger then the passenger talks for a minute and then another person gets out.. meanwhile there are four cars behind them! It really makes me agro!

20. Torana

Yeah I hate it when they do that. I always shout and beep the horn lol
    Also when they drive slowly, like 30 kms in a 60 zone. Don't they know what an accelerator is for?

21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I remember my first driving lesson. It was in the middle of a zombie outbreak. It was bloody terrifying the first hundred miles, having to work a five speed and plow through bodies of the undead in an 80's Toyota Tercel hatchback. Thankfully the next hundred went a little bit better and I got to work on my three point turning. Sometimes you got hit 'em twice just to be sure they stay down. :p

Nah, it wasn't that fun. But the car was real, and that was the first vehicle I learned to drive. Ironically now I cannot drive a stick to save my own ass. I guess if it came down to a bicycle and five speed transmission in a zombie apocalypse scenario. CHING CHING, CHING CHING, die you dead Sons a bi.....! Well I am screwed on that scenario, just became the literal interpretation of meals on wheels. :superlaugh: