Need Help With a Character Problem

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kirvee, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

Is it a good thing to have a sober attitude? o_O.

Ah, I see...I'll keep thinking on it then. Thank you for your help :-D.

2. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

Sure! Keeps your head screwed on straight.

Just don't get too sober; sometimes taking your chances pays off, and there's something to learn even from mistakes.

You're welcome, and good luck.

3. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

I'm going to completely ignore the reincarnation. I personally don't like it. But since you obviously want that connection between the female MC and the male MC's mother, I have another idea. However, in order for it to work, the female MC will need to be born a little bit earlier, and the male MC's mom will need to die a little bit later. In this case, all you need is that contact between the two at some point in life. I'm not sure what occupation your male MC's mother had, but lets say she was a nurse. Baby girl MC was born premature or something like that, and was about to die. Mom nurse does something special for Baby girl MC, whether it is extra time or big sacrifice. Either way, the two never see each other again, but there is that special connection. Mom nurse helped baby girl MC, and now grown up woman MC is helping the son of Mom nurse. Maybe a little cliché, but that would explain the dreams.

4. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

@Eve: Nice idea, but completely doesn't work in my story. Doing that involves lots of changes. My male MC's mom dies before the story starts (hint) and my female MC (as well as my male MC in a way) comes from a different world than my male MC's mom. My male MC was about 3 weeks old when his mom died and my female MC is therefore younger than my male MC by a month 3/4.

5. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

Your right, my idea wouldn't work then. What about an object then? Male mc's mom uses a certain object in her life, and female mc later on acquires it. It could be a very special object, since somehow it changes worlds. That is where the connection could be. You could even use this object as an important part of the plot of your story, if you wish.

6. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

@Eve: Well....I actually had thought about that a long time ago...but then I realized how utterly cliche that kind of device is. But I do plan on my female MC finding a diary written by the male MC's mom later on in the story. But the diary is only used so that she (and the reader) learn about events that happened prior to the beginning of the story and before my male MC's mom's death.

But I should point out that I like the reincarnation idea because it's part of my personal belief and, if I can get it down right, works well with my story.

7. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

Alright, if you think it will work well for your story, use it. It's a lot better than working on someone else's idea. Try to ignore this site for a while and just write. I find that I get a ton of writing done when I just focus on my story, instead of reading new things on this site all the time. That actually sounds like a good idea right now...