Not interested in reading

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by live2write, Apr 8, 2012.

1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

The redhead is me

2. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

As for this predicament, it is a problem we all face. If all of the members here sat in a circle and passed copies of our stories to the left, we would all get them back with blue-pencil marks all over them. I expect it, and most times I need it. Personally, I like the arc of your work. I also get the feeling that you might feel a critique of your work is a slam against your personally. You should see the criticism I get!

Consider this, the some of the greatest men in the world have worn some pretty funny clothes.

(As for you avatar, I must admit that *gulp* I'm afraid of redheads. Oh, I have loved the redheads I have known, they have been the most coveted women of my life. But then again, my philosophy is that things that are fun ought to be dangerous. I think that explains why I use one of them in my story. "The Red Queen," many of her characteristics are that of an old girl friend. Hey, you write what you know! ;) )

3. live2write

live2write Senior Member

What is funny is that the novel I have that I am working piece by piece, the main character is a reflection of me with red hair with strong and fierce characteristics.

4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I have the first rough (rougher, roughest) introductary paragraphs about The red Queen on their way to you.

If they in anyway apply to your quirks, just ignore it. I assure you that they were based on a woman who is now 64 years old, and probably wouldn't remember me--or where her teeth are--without the help of cue cards!

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Can we get this thread back on topic please.

I think this thread has some good info in it and it might do a service to someone. The current conversation would be better suited to PMs.

6. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

If you like Philip K. Dick, check out his collected short stories [five or six volumes]. Many of his short stories have been successfully turned into movies, i.e. his story 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' became the movie 'Total Recall'.

7. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

You need to find the stories that do interest you, then. I haven't read any of the books you posted (at least not that I remember), and the titles don't really call out to me. I've read a few books where I've only gotten halfway through and set down to read another a week later. I've found that the writers that really keep me reading are Richard Laymon's and Konrath's books, horror and thrillers. For a lower read that I can just relax on, I'll go for urban fantasy, but I hardly ever read them in a day like I do with books providing tension.

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Laymon has an engaging "voice" and a quick style that easily pulls readers along. A good pick. I find there are a handful of authors who do that for me, and one thing I really enjoy from time to time is stumbling across another one who can do it.

9. live2write

live2write Senior Member

OMG that is the next book on my list! I love the original Total Recall movie (lol I still have it on laserdisc). Especially along the genre of science fiction that has the combination of technology, conspiracy and possibilities of it being fiction. Thank you for the suggestion.

I will look into the author. When reading suggestions I do research them and find some samples pieces of stories to see if it intrigues me. I told myself I would not focus on one genre and instead read books that interest me because of the voice and language of the story.

I find it very hard for me to go to a library and find a book that 'interest' me. To describe how I react when walking through the library or bookstore shelves is...

"Walking down the isle, overwhelmed by all the books. I pick the first one that my eye catches and read the first few pages. I will then read parts of the middle of the book (page or two). If I feel like it would be of interest or a good read I will write the title and author of the book and keep searching. If the book does not interest or strike my inspiration to read it will remain on the shelf until I am willing to pick it up again in the future. Sometimes I would freeze in front of the shelf and end up empty handed because it is too overwhelming and exhausting to find a good read. When a book of offered to me I will end up reading it not because I am guilty of saying no. Believe me I did this all through middle school and parts of high school and I ended up asking my older sister what was on her bookshelf. When a book suggestion is offered I subconsciously (maybe consciously now) feel that it must be a good read because somebody thought it was a great or even fascinating read.

In high school I purposely attended a class on "Science fiction and Literature Psychology." Half of the class was science fiction books that were suggested by the professor. The books ended up being "The Time Machine" "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep" and "The lawnmower man short". The rest of the class was a breakdown of science fiction movies and TV like star wars, star trek and my favorite "Firefly".
    Second half of the class was reading short stories from the brother's grimm and yes reading Harry Potter and the Hobbit. There was plenty more.

10. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

That must have been a good class if it had firefly in it. LOVE that show.
    I'll give Isaac Asimov a second on the referral list. Since you're studying the genre he is a must, a titan, a lone mountain rising from the bottom of the ocean floor. His short stories like nightfall are captivating. His novels remain timeless despite technological advancements because they are built around human nature and a solid story. Although, his novels do tend to climb and lull. They aren't exactly edge of your seat thrillers.