Other GLBT writers of spec fic?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Wreybies, May 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. nolens volens

nolens volens New Member

Interesting to see this thread posted. A very similar question was just posted on writingforums.com. You wouldn't have anything to do with that would you? '-)

That being said, my completed YA novel is all about the typical "coming out" story. It is roughly and loosely based upon my own experiences in a conservative high school.

I am also writing a trilogy (sci-fi, fantasy-ish) in which the protagonist is bisexual. There will be some social commentary regarding this but the story is not in fact about sexual preference at all.

I also write lots of straight characters. It just depends on the situation I guess but I never start out thinking "I am going to have her be gay," or anything like that. If the character is, then it is, and he or she usually reveals that as I write them. (Wow I went from "it" to "he or she" to "them.")

Cheers,
    Linz

2. nolens volens

nolens volens New Member

Ditto on that. Made perfect sense to me :D

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

What? Me? I have no idea what you're talking about! :D:p;)

*steps nonchalantly in front of the rainbow sticker on his intergalactic cruiser*

4. nolens volens

nolens volens New Member

Heh. Busted. :D

5. Lauren

Lauren New Member

I'm gay, but I have to admit, I'm not entirely positive what you mean by "spec fic." Specific fiction? LGBTQ-specific? Forgive me if this has been covered by the other responses to this thread. I haven't read through them all yet.

6. alanmt

alanmt New Member

generally speaking, speculative fiction includes science fiction, fantasy, horror, and similar "unreal" genres.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Coming of age and reconciling with one's own identity are timeless conflicts to build a plot around. But if you're busy grinding an axe, the reader will know it and shy away.

Greatness comes about when you perfect the balance between letting the reader feel the character's angst and beating him over the head with it.

8. Lauren

Lauren New Member

based on that definition of spec fic, i wouldn't classify myself as a writer of such. but it's cool that there's a thread for lgbt writers.

9. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

I'm bi, and I have a short story with gay romance in the review room. It's called "The Inspiration" if you want to check it out.

10. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

Nah it doesn't bother me, I generally don't read those kinds of things because from what I've seen, either no one is gay or everyone is gay. But I have nothing against any one who writes stories with a gay/bi/or transvestite character in it, there's nothing wrong with that.

11. Cheese and Grapes

Cheese and Grapes New Member

I'm gay and at the moment, I'm writing a story which the protaganist is a gay teen. The story isn't about his sexuality, more on relationships, maturing, and being independent. His sexuality will play a part in it of course, it's just that the story won't revolve around others accepting him or coming out or any other typical GLBTQ (Q for Questioning) fiction. Not that writing coming out or acceptance stories are bad, it's just when there's 20 novels with the main focus the protaganist's sexuality and 2 on the life of a protaganist who happens to be GLBTQ is when something's missing.