1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Question mark? Or no?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Rumwriter, Jan 12, 2015.

"...What evidence is there for any of this? How about the twisted look on a student’s face when the challenge of learning is put before them."

This comes from a blog post I'm working on. My question is, should I end the second sentence with a question mark or a period? It's a rhetorical question, so I think I tend to prefer the period, but I want to know what the accepted standard is.

2. D'hai

D'hai Member

I don't know what the accepted standard is but I would use a question mark in the second sentence as well.

3. lustrousonion

lustrousonion Contributing Member

I would say yes. Question mark!

4. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Yes, in both sentences.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Another vote for yes.

6. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

It depends on what you second sentence is trying to say. If you are trying to respond to the first question with a question or an uncertain suggestion, then you would use a question mark. If you are simply making a statement, you would use a period. However, in this context, it seems like the question is the most natural.

7. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Contributing Member

I think the answer is in what you said: you think of it as a question. Questions end with question marks; it's that simple. If you thought of it instead as an answer to the former question, it would not be a question and a full stop would be the correct punctuation mark.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Question mark, yes. With the "how about", it's phrased as a question. To eliminate the question mark, remove the question phrasing:

"...What evidence is there for any of this? The twisted look on a student’s face when the challenge of learning is put before them."
    "...What evidence is there for any of this? One piece of evidence is the twisted look on a student’s face when the challenge of learning is put before them."
    "...What evidence is there for any of this? Well, let's consider the twisted look on a student’s face when the challenge of learning is put before them."
    "...How can we prove this? One piece of evidence is the twisted look on a student’s face when the challenge of learning is put before them."

Edited to add: The "how about" is also rather informal and slang like and a slightly angry-sounding challenge. So I'd eliminate it anyway.

tonguetied likes this.