Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

The point I want to stress is that we need those who maintain what we have, just as we need those who build tomorrow. This, even though those who build tomorrow are whom our society selects as our usual role models

2. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

Also similar plot to far cry 3 I beleive

Oscar Leigh, jannert and peachalulu like this.
  3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

That's not the point you made at all - you would not call the maintenance guy an "idiot" (from your original phrasing) or a "sleeper" (from your revised version) if what you wanted to say is we need them as much as we need visionaries, meaning the maintenance guy is actually very important, his importance often overlooked by society. I find it odd you chose words that are so contradictory to what you meant to say?

Then it should be: The fool neglects today for the sake of tomorrow, not realising tomorrow is built upon the here and now - or something on those lines. The idiot or the sleeper should be the one who builds the future, or those who value those who build the future more highly/too highly.

4. shards

shards New Member

And you started writing 5 times in the last 2 weeks

5. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

Because I was in a mood and trying not to filter and trying to provoke so as to make it memorable.

Mckk likes this.
  6. Mckk

That's fair enough. But even if it was memorable, if it conveys the wrong meaning, then is there any point?

Tenderiser and VynniL like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I'm doing an online course at the moment, and I'm spending a lot of time reading the transcripts of the lecture.

So, there's one lecturer who begins every paragraph with So. So, as you can see, it's really very...well, slightly...well maybe what I mean to say is...

So, the next lecture I made a point of watching the video, and this second lecturer was much better. She'd prepared her text very carefully, written down what she wanted to say, and proceeded to say it. I know she'd written down what she wanted to say, because every few seconds her eyes flicked down to the text on her desk, and then back up to look at the camera. So distracting I had to go back to the transcript!

He's got to be high if he's starting that logical fallacy from the premise that mirrors aren't real.

I knew that you were wrong, because I'd read a book of that title, and I knew it wasn't Connell whom I'd read (I went on to read a lot of his books). So I Googled it, and, dammit, Connell DID write it.

But so did Gavin Lyall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game_(novel)

jannert likes this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I know, right? Also, oops. It was the other way round. It was mirrors if eyes. But it's equally bad. It sounds a lot like he was trying to be wise and philosophical but left his sanity on somebody's doormat and screwed up. :D
    Also He Writes Like This Which Is Just Weird. Methinks this is a kid who is perhaps not used to being told "no". He comes off a bit over-indulged.

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Holy shit. I know there are often duplication in titles, but I never saw one this close before. Subject matter AND title? Maybe the only thing that separates them is that one is a short story and the other is a novel. Slightly different subject, but it's a fine line.

10. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

You may have been thinking of this:

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never really care for anything else."

- Ernest Hemingway

jannert likes this.
  11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Where did that quote come from? You could be right. Maybe my brain isn't as mixed up as I thought it was.

12. Justin Phillips

Random thought:

this thread is not about random thoughts any more

but still entertaining.

Oscar Leigh and Mckk like this.
  13. Mckk

Has the book been published? If the other two endings seem inadequate, I'd say go back to the original where the MC dies. That original one really sounds very powerful - there's a tragic finality to it that is absolutely chilling. I wouldn't let the fact that it's hard to kill your beloved MC stop you from a fitting ending. Of course I haven't read your book, so I don't know if it really is the perfect fit - but it's got the ring of perfection about it, like one of those ideas that pop into your head and you just know that it's like, wow and you gotta write it. Are you hesitant to use it because you don't want the MC to die, or because you honestly don't feel it's right for the book?

peachalulu likes this.
  14. Justin Phillips

nah just kill him off and in an epilogue have his scientist girlfriend clone him. There, problem solved. Secretly, they broke up halfway through the book, but her dna sample that she has (could get really creepy there) is from before they broke up, so he unwittingly lives the rest of his life with her not knowing how horrible she is.

haha sorry, that was fun.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  15. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I was probably more reluctant to kill him off. It did suit the story. The novel's unpublished. And right now on the back burner. I wrote it back in the early 2000 and it really shows. It needs a definite overhaul.

16. Justin Phillips

In news today, Cuba is running out of beer due to all the americans flooding it's borders. Their main beer producer is building a new plant just to keep up with demand!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Oscar Leigh

What if we're all badgers floating in bubbles? I think therefore I am only demonstrates that there is something to think, it doesn't prove our self-perception of what that is is right. Just a random thought. :supertongue::supertongue:

18. Justin Phillips

Random thought:

I realized I can no longer base MC's off of my own personality. Apparently I'm an asshole, and any attempts to base a character off of myself has proven to make them unlikeable! hahahaha
    Perhaps, I will star as the next villain in a future WIP!

In all seriousness though, I guess it's really never a good idea. If people really knew what I thought from time to time... they would hate me. I guess that's we internalize everything right?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. Justin Phillips

you probably weren't going there, but that's mainly the argument that we all live inside a matrix.... but who built the matrix? hmmm??

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Oscar Leigh

Well, my character Oscar Leigh is based of parts of me. Along with aspects of people I know and aspects I just pulled out of the air. And I think he works.

Justin Phillips likes this.
  21. Oscar Leigh

That's kind of where I was going. The Matrix of that realisation that while we know something exists to think it's us we don't know what it is. We don't even know whether there's more than one of it. It could just be a huge blob. That is all life in the universe. And the blob just thinks it's living our lives.

22. Justin Phillips

Random thought:

I love owning my own business.

But sometimes I goddamn hate it.

shards and Oscar Leigh like this.
  23. Oscar Leigh

What does it feel like to die? :superthink::superthink::superfrown:
    Sorry if this is too serious.

24. Justin Phillips

I swear the explanation of death, going towards the white light, is so ironically similar to the act of birth, heading out through the birth canal.

25. Oscar Leigh

People associate the two. What with one being the entry and the other being the exit. But I don't believe in any "light". So... darkness. And then nothing. But I don't know exactly. Which is the point of the question. Imagine. Or don't. You might not want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.