"Review Room" Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

While it is generally preferable to leave a work for future reading, it's not a rule. It's your writing, so if you'd like it removed, feel free to remove it.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That is true, of course. I should have been clearer that it's not a rule. It is your work, and you have every right to remov or alter it as you see fit. However, if you do decide to remove it, other writers will not be able to lbenefit from the analysis as well later.

You'll only be able to change your own posts, though. If someone quoytes parts of your eork in their comments, You won't be able to edit the quotes in other posts.

Generally, if you put something up for review, you can generally plan on it remaining to a greater or lesser degree.

Any time you post work on the web, you are, in essence, publishing it. Anyone can see it, save a copy for later reference, and archiving sites can store it. There's really no such thing as "unpublishing" it.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

But in extraordinary circumstances (i.e. it is necessary for publication) you could apply to a moderator to have the thread deleted. But you'd need a very good reason for them to do so.

4. Cogito

It wouldn't work for publication. Publishers care about whether the work has EVER been published, which includes posting on the web. However, you are correct that the mods can remove a piece and its review comments completely if there is a compelling need.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I cannot post in the review room.
    Its a .com. My parents have blocked all .coms from my computer.
    What am I going to do now?

6. Cogito

The Review Room is a collection of forums on this site for the purpose of dissecting members' writing to suggest possible improvements. In order to post your own work in the Review Room for review, you first need to post two or more reviews on other authors' pieces in the Review Room.

The intent is to learn the art of reviewing as an integral part of writing. By learning to critacally examine other people's work, you learn to look over your own work with a sharper eye.

Just do the best you can. No one expects your first reviews to be perfect, any more than anyone could expect your first story to be flawless.

Welcome to the Writing Forums(.org) site!

7. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Thank you.
    My grammar is horrible though.
    I'll try my best though and I won't give up. And thank you for clearing the confusion.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure why that has happened. This forum is a .org actually and so is the review room as far as I know. It shouldn't be a .com at all.

I think that you should PM the administrator Lpspider and question him about the problems you are experiencing.

9. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Well, there is another site : writingforums.com. I went there by mistake once.

10. Cogito

On the topic of the Review Room - please don't post the same piece in more than one Review Room forum. It's a workshop, not a gallery, and you will benefit more from having all the responses (and revisions!) in the same thread.

Duplicate postings for review may be merged without notice at the moderators' discretion.

11. mercy

mercy New Member

I checked that site out too. It has a nice layout, but I don't think the members are as good as the ones here.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i was a member there for years and left when a new member who'd followed me there from another site where he was abusive to me and others, was allowed by the admin to 'stalk' and harass me mercilessly for months, and i was actually taken to task by them for trying to defend myself from his public attacks... this site has been a welcome relief... it's currently the best place on the net by far, for aspiring writers, thanks to simon/hull's raven and the rest of the admin here... they run a friendly ship and don't allow such bullies to operate with impunity, as wf.com does...

count your blessings, that they started this one!

love and hugs, maia

1 person likes this.
  13. Myopic Chihuahua

Myopic Chihuahua Banned

I absolutely agree with you. The level of maturity is much higher on this site. That other site was the first one I went to and it was awful.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and that's with the same wide age range here, as there, besides!... which speaks well for both our members and our staff... so, kudos to our young folks and all of US! ;-)

15. Shreyass

Shreyass New Member

The problem there was, atleast for me, not enough replies and meaningful comments. Everybody on here seems to be highly active.

16. arteleis

arteleis New Member

confused

Um... I go to the review room but get redirected to vBulletin?
    I would like to review and post but I am not sure where to do this.
    Thank you for your time.

17. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Which forum in particular is doing this, arteleis?

18. John001

John001 New Member

Should there be much of a delay between the time I reply to a message and the time I get posting credit? I replied to a couple of shortstories this afternoon but it still says I cant post

19. Cogito

Only responses in the Review Room forum count as reviews. You need to post at least two reviews before you can post an item of your own for review. The effort you put into your reviews will generally have an impact on how much effort people are willing to invest in reviewing your work, too.

20. Eric

Eric New Member

I went thier and tried to login in, but it wouldn't let me, I tried to register but it said someone already had Eric for a username. What is going on??

21. Cogito

The Review Room forums are a part of this site. They are not a separate site. Your current login is what you use for posting in that area as well.

You will not be able to post your own work for review until you have reviewed at least two pieces written by other members, as I mentioned in my reply to your introduction post.

On the Writing Forums home page, read the material in the blue Important Links box at the top of the right hand side.

22. Ehoeveler

Ehoeveler New Member

Seems fair, to me!

I actually like the idea, a good insurance that many more postings
    will get feedback. Thanks, Ehoeveler

23. jesse2008

jesse2008 New Member

Good rule.

24. NovelShorts

NovelShorts New Member

Ok I'm confussed. I was just looking around and I noticed that the link to the reveiw room on the first post of this thread is this site: http://www.vbulletin.com/ When I tried to log in there using my user and password from her and it said the password or user was wrong. The thing is the review room I posted my work in was this page on this site: https://www.writingforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18 Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Write on
    NovelShorts

25. Cogito

Thank you for pointing that out, NovelShorts. I've gone back and fixed the link in the first post of the thread.

The vBulletin link is to the site that created the software the forum runs under, so it would requiore different login credentials

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.