Tags:
  1. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

Rewriting question

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Man in the Box, Jul 2, 2013.

I read through some pieces of an unfinished story I wrote a year ago and realized they're cheesy. But the story is not finished yet. Is it recommended to rewrite earlier pieces of the story only after the first draft is finished or can I revisit those chapters during the drafting phase. I ask because some plot points have been changed due to the pieces being written out of chronological order.

2. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

There are no rules dude, o what works for you. It would bug me If I knew something was completely wrong or shit and I would have to fix it straight away.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Yes - do whatever you can work best with, that lets you keep going. There are no rules as to when to rewrite.

4. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

Cool stuff, that motivates me to rewrite a scene that's been itching me for centuries... After a year of leaving it untouched I went back to it and couldn't believe how cheesy it was.

5. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

I have to go back and un-cheese my writing on a regular basis. But I usually just write through it until I have a good draft to work with. Otherwise I spend too much time on decheesifying as I go (yes - I just made up a word!) and not enough time on just writing the darn thing!

6. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Sometimes 'fixing' cheese, or whatever your problem is, will get you into writing modeā€”as long as you don't tinker the thing to death. Some people routinely begin each writing day by revising what they wrote the day before. I'm one of them. By the time the revision is done, I'm ready to move on. I usually find that what I produce after revising is more useful than if I'd started cold.

7. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

This is in no way meant so sound like a jerk, so please don't take it the wrong way. It's possible, after reading your post, that your 'voice' may have changed and that story's not feasible anymore. There's someone a wise woman once told me about the subject. A lot of beginning writers (and I was guilty of it too, which was why I completely changed characters and tone for the world I created) work on a piece then either sit it down or keep reworking it over a lengthy period of time. What happens then is that the writer's 'voice' changes, so the writer keeps changing this, rewriting that, in the attempt to make it fit. What happens in the end is a patchwork quilt of writing that generally becomes a mess.

I might be misunderstanding your post, but I'm wondering if there isn't a possibility that may have happened.

8. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

I enjoy a little editing. The more you edit, the smoother your work will be. Eventually you will read it over and not see any problems. Sometimes an edit can be difficult if you've written yourself into a corner. Then all you can do is go back and remove what you did to get there and start over. But it helps to edit a bit as you go (me anyway).

If you aren't happy with it, go back and fix it a little. No rush.