1. Sarrup

Sarrup New Member

Sarrup ... aspiring historical fiction writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sarrup, Feb 27, 2017.

Hi all, I'm Sarrup; a lifelong writer who is finally putting her skills to use in a novel. I've participated in NaNoWriMo multiple years and met my goals, but never moved past to editing, and haven't thought much about publishing until just recently.

I am a former middle school writing teacher too ill to be a reliable educator anymore, so I spend my days researching and writing. Because I love to learn, I get really bogged down in research which puts a cramp in my writing. I'm pushing myself to "just write" and ignore facts for the time being. It's my own adventure!

My currently project is a migration tale. The Riehl and Krause families leave Bremen (Germany) for New York, and while there thriving, they hear about this place called "Oregon territory." With five adults and ten children, my novel follows the family as they make their way from the 10th Ward of New York to the "endless black soil" of Oregon. Ultimately, I hope that adventure, history, love, and loss will feed the families better than their stores of bacon and flour.

By joining Writing Forums, I'm looking to gain some confidence in sharing my writing.

2. Paul Kinsella

Paul Kinsella Member

Welcome aboard! I'm new here, too.
    How will you handle the language in the book? Will the characters have German accents? Or will they speak German, but it will be written as English for the reader's benefit?