1. Micecd

Micecd New Member

Series Writing Tips *1

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Micecd, Dec 28, 2012.

Hey, I'm new to this forum, and I've never written real in-depth prose unless it was for random essays in school, which had no grammatical issues or mistakes.

I've been considering writing actual stories since a few years back, and I've had these "movies" or visions of my own little stories from themes of movies I had seen throughout my life.

I had a comic like series which I had done in 4th Grade that was written over ruled paper, with a comic strip on the middle of each page which took up 8-10 lines.

The stories were very straight to the point. The actions, the characters, and the plot didn't have a twist or anything, they were just simplistic.
    Most of them were inspirations from a combination of the first Tron film, and X-men in 2004.

I had about 7 of these "Comics" but ever since I didn't do much else to improve my writing skills.

Now, here's where I want to continue, but my question is; How do I string together stories like this?
    (Not my original group of stories, but new ones.)

I want to be able to have the ability to implement local motifs (A single separate theme for each story) and a global motif (A theme that is included in each story)

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

Over in the Plot Development section, you will find pinned to the top of the thread list Cogito's piece on plot development. That's a good place to start. It will give you the sense of the mechanics of plot structure.

The other thing I would suggest is to do some reading. Well, actually, do a lot of reading, both within the genre you wish to write and outside of it.

Good luck.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good advice, as usual, from ed... i second it...

4. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

Ed's right. I agree.