1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Contributing Member Contributor

Side-Villain Location Plot Hole

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ToeKneeBlack, Apr 24, 2016.

I'll start with a little background - towards the end of the first story in the series one of the henchmen (Vee) takes his payment and leaves, not to be seen again. The heroes go on to take down the main villain, but one of them (June) is incapacitated.

Two years later, we catch up with June, who seeks revenge on Vee for the murders of her mother and brother. The trail has gone cold, but a new threat arises in a distant city. June's mentor wants her to investigate because it's the kind of thing he trained her for, but she wants to put her efforts into her vendetta. Upon hearing that Vee is in the city, June decides to head over there.

So now I need a valid reason for this plot convenience. Vee is trying to evade capture by the police, since the gang he led is responsible for a seven year long reign of terror over a large city (a different location to the one in this story). The people in the city in this story are under attack from "waking nightmares" and has largely been evacuated, so it could be that he went there intending to get away from the crowd and loot to his heart's content, but this doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to me. I'd like to know what you think of this reason.

2. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

I'm a little confused as to what the convenience is. Is it because Vee happens to be in the same city that June happens to be having to go to, because of her new assignment?

What was Vee's reason for coming to the city originally, when he killed June's parents?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  3. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Active Member

The phrase "waking nightmares" interests me. Are they something Vee would be resistant to or have an advantage in fighting? He may consider it a safe haven because most of the people who would want him dead would be more threatened by the nightmares than he is.

4. ToeKneeBlack

June doesn't want to chase up the assignment because she's trying to find Vee. I think it's convenient that he happens to be there, but I can't think of any other way to motivate June to investigate the problems in the city.

Vee killed June's family during a robbery on their house, but the residence was quite some distance from his usual territory. He was being paid a huge sum by the man who had hired him, and previous attempts at the same crime had failed due to June's intervention.

Vee has no involvement with nor defence against the waking nightmares, which he doesn't believe in until he experiences them. Essentially, the more things you're guilty of, the worse the waking nightmares affect you - given his criminal record, he ends up in a coma.
    There are only 2 characters in the book with any resistance to the nightmares besides anyone without guilt. One of them is June, but not until the end of the story when she realises her extra senses don't register them, and her friend Boris who's "ability to see only the truth" (I need a better name for it) makes him completely immune.

5. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Active Member

How well do you have your setting mapped? Maybe Vee isn't in that city, but the shortest route to get to where he is goes through there.

6. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

What if Vee wanted to go to the same city, to come after June, for payback, for the times that June kept intervening against him before?

7. ToeKneeBlack

June's mentor, Stuart could lie to her and say Vee was sighted there.

Vee's in his 40's and June is 14. Despite this vast difference in age and experience, June possesses the abilities to create portals and to manipulate energy. When they first met, Vee fired his gun at her, but she opened a portal and sent the bullet away.
    In the 2 years since their first encounter, June has been hunting him down, so Vee is hiding from both her and the police. This has forced Vee to go under the radar, so the prospect of an almost deserted city could appeal to his greed.

But I like Ryan Elder's suggestion - if Stuart lies to June about Vee's whereabouts, she could go there in search of him. Vee, spotting June's alter-ego in the news might head that way to take her down while she's looking into the source of the waking nightmares, thinking she's pre-occupied. She might even think he is one of the waking nightmares at first, since they take on the form of each person's individual fears. She know's he's deadly, but he also knows she could blow him up if she creates a plasma ball with her energy abilities.

8. ToeKneeBlack

The answer has been staring me in the face the whole time. I haven't explained this in this thread yet, but...

The universe of the book has four "universal elements" which can be controlled by people called "Stormbringers". These elements are Time, Space, Gravity and Energy, sort of like the classical elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

June is a Stormbringer who can control Space and Energy. Her spatial control manifests itself in the form of portals.

In the city where the bulk of the story is set, there are 4 new Stormbringers who have power over one universal element each.
    June could be asked by her mentor if she's been to the city, since her portals can be detected via a characteristic spectrum of radio frequencies. She would then head to the city both in search of the other Stormbringers and in search of the source of the waking nightmares.

Vee wouldn't need to make an appearance.