1. FutureAuthor

FutureAuthor New Member

Strong motivation for wanting Main character dead?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by FutureAuthor, Nov 14, 2016.

My MC is a witch and a witch hunter is after her... Its different types of witch hunters, each with unique weapons and skills and intelligence but all have the same motive...KILL THE WITCH.... Each book will follow the MC escaping and trying to defeat the witch hunter....

Is the witch hunter motive strong enough for the villain? They say a killer just doesn't go around killing people for fun, he has to have a reason.... I wonder can my witch hunter seek out to kill my MC because shes a witch and hes a WITCH HUNTER or would have to come up with some contrive motive?

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Well, I think the question you need to ask is WHY he's a witch hunter. Yeah, he hates witches, but why? Did a witch kill someone he loves? Does he think they're unnatural?

He doesn't need a reason to want to specifically kill your MC. But he does need a reason for why he's a witch hunter.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

What she said - plus how many books are you writing ?, so far you've asked for help with one about mob wars, one about a boy and his body guard, one about a character with a magical treasure and now this one. My strong advice is to pick one and stick to it.

4. Stuart B

Stuart B Member

I agree with everything above. A villain is a much stronger character when they have a good motive. An important thing to remember is most villains don't think of themselves as villains. They just think of themselves as someone doing something that has to be done (in this case; hunting witches). So give them a strong motive for wanting to hunt witches. It could be a personal tragedy that they blame on a witch. Maybe they were a victim of a witch once. Maybe they had strict parents that raised them with the view all witches are bad. Maybe their father was a witch hunter than they have been forced to follow in their footsteps. Maybe someone in the family was revealed to be a witch and they were conflicted.

Personal I always find it interesting when a villain has something that makes them slightly simplistic. Something that shows how they might have once been a good person once but made some bad decisions or a miss guided choice that lead them to the person they are now. In other words; you don't have to agree with their views but you can understand how they came to believe them them self.

Inspector Javert from Les Miserables comes to mind. He was not a villain but he was so blinded by his belief in law and justice that he was unable to see that someone (Jean Valjean) could be a good person. It was his inability to understand some else point of view that made him the villain (for lack of a better word).