1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

Taking inspiration

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by OurJud, Jul 28, 2016.

I know taking inspiration from other writers is nothing new and I'm sure we all do it, but I thought I'd share something that really helps me get words down and kick start new chapters or paragraphs.

Before I start writing, I place two or three of my favourite novels on the desk before me. These should be writers whose style you admire and enjoy reading. And then I start writing.

When - not if, but when - your flow dries up and you grind to a halt, or when you stare at the blank page of a new chapter, or find yourself asking why you're writing a particular scene and if it serves any purpose, stop and pick up one of the novels. Look at how they start new chapters, new paragraphs. Do they write scenes that a writing tutor would tell you served no real purpose and should be cut?

This takes a matter of seconds, and just reading a single sentence or two will motivate you to get going again.

It's a fairly new discovery for me, but I think it will turn out to be invaluable.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Komposten and SethLoki like this.