Tavern's General Life Issues Corner.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

Hey everyone,
    I need 20 bucks by the end of the week but I don't know how to make it. The twenty bucks lets me go to a lan gaming place but I won't be there to play lan. I will be there to play Oblivion! The best game of all. Any suggestions how to make that twenty bucks?
    p.s. and no I'm not going to get a job because I am fifteen and it is not summer but I am willing to do odd jobs. If this is not in the right thread let me know.
    thanks

2. ugu

ugu New Member

I feel like I'm running out of time. I know in the long run I'll be fine (or so I hope), but right now I feel very behind compared to other people my age. I'm vaguely jealous of people who know what they like and/or are good at what they like to do. Why can't it be June 2009 already?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are too intent on looking ahead to June 2009, it will be hard to see where and what you are right now. Put a bit more focus on living in the moment, and maybe you'll discover who you really are right now. That will certainly help you discover where you might want to aim toward moving forward.

If you are feeling you are running out if time to do things, it is hsrd to motivate yourself to start projects, even in those things you would otherwise enjoy. Let go of that pressure, and give in to the urge to do something that sounds like fun. You'll develop a sense of what you enjoy most, and that can help you pick out a future.

Does that make any sense? It's late here...

4. Tears

Tears New Member

Thoughts on the flooding here..

06-09-08....Monday Night...

Hundreds driven from their homes..Thousands watch in fear that it will only get worse from here. Will this hell end?
    I have seen people go out in canoes, paddling to their homes that are half way under water. I have seen them walking back in water up to their necks holding on tightly to their pets, belongs, or loved ones as if they are all they have because it is all they have left.
    I have seen a elderly man get into his car, but stop and turn around only to see his garden completely buried under three to four feet of water as well as watch him cry before leaving his home for the last time.
    I have seen and heard people talk about how they can't get home. I have heard them tell me they are worried about their families and pets but that there is nothing they can do because they are trapped in town.
    It really hits my heart hard and I really feel for these people. Why? Because this is within my community, right in my town. I know that any minute it could be me. That I could lose everything in a blink of an eye. It's really a terrifing thought to know that all could be lost in a matter of minutes.
    I do not know how many people have been effected by this flooding in the midwest but I know if people have seen what I have seen, witnessed this the way I have, or even be in the middle of it, I am sure you understand how it feels to watch these people as well as know any minute it could be you to.
    The situation scares me more and more every hour. My family and I had gone out early morning to take pictures. We had just gotten to the far west side of town only to hear that they were closing the main bridge in town in less then an hour. My family and I had to make a mad dash back across that bridge. because of the flooding it's not exactly safe to drive right now.
    Not more then a hour later after we had heard this the bridge was closed. Water from the Baraboo river was spilling onto the bridge of my small little town called Reedsburg. I couldn't believe this was happening to me..to my small town.
    My family and I quickly realized that nearly every road in and out of my town was flooded as well as not passable. The only way out of my town is toward Baraboo as this moment.
    We had watched the water slowly rise all day. The river ran over and is about four feet deep at the power plant on the west side of town. Not only that but the water is slowly rising up to the east power plant and I know if the water gets to high in there we will have no power at all for days.
    Water has flooded nearly every factory, every house, and every building on the south and west side of my little town. It's scary to watch that water rise more and more and know there is nothing I can do but pray and hope for the best.
    One of the major lakes in the area is no more. Lake Delton that feeds a lot of the Dells for spectators has gave and is no more. It was a man made lake but still is a huge deal to people. With that lake giving, it took four houses...washed right away out into the lake.
    So many times in the last twenty-four hours, we have heard them say the Redstone Lake dam is so close to giving way. We hear that and we know that if it does, it will send a huge wave through my town. There won't be any warning nor will there be anytime to evacuate the people in it. Exspeically with there is only one way out of town.
    Knowing this, I know that if that dam does give way and break lives will be lost as well as nearly, if not all, the house and buildings here. Sure, many of us younger people can start over and make a new life the best we can but the elderly will not be so lucky. They will lose everything and not be able to get any of that back and that only is a heart wrenching thought.
    I go to bed now hoping and praying for the best. I hope I walk up and there is power. I hope that I walk up alive and well, not at the end of death's rope crying out for help. I just hope for the best.

(I am working on a few albums on my WF profile of pictures of the flooding in my town. P.S. Go from the last page to the first..it shows the rising in the water through out the day. Thanks..)

I really don't know what else to think about on this matter or even how to handle it...Anyone got any suggestions?

5. ugu

ugu New Member

...I think my brother got a girl pregnant. It doesn't bother me as much, but my mother is sure to get a heart attack if/when she finds out. She hasn't fully recovered since my other brother decided he's both gay and metrosexual and he's not ashamed to tell the world.

Wait till I come out with my own little secret. And the hits just keep on coming...

6. Tears

Tears New Member

Thats about has bad as my blood sister having a affair with our step brother. >.> And they are still dating and messin around..

7. lessa

lessa New Member

ugu Mothers are tougher than you realize.
    She may be in shock but believe me she will live through anything
    life throws her way.
    She has to. Too many people depend on her.
    My advice is don't leave life altering things a secret.
    Once they are in the open they never seem as bad as they do in your mind.
    Mother's are also very forgiving given time.

8. Firefly

Firefly Member

When will this nightmare end? I've got bad vertigo, plus increasing hearing loss. My vision is pretty blurry, too. My eyes don't focus very well anymore. I hope this is only temporary. It probably is, but I hope it ends soon. I don't want to be in a silent, spinning, blurry world. I'm overwhelmed with all the things it could be.

9. ugu

ugu New Member

Oh, my mother is the toughest woman I know. I just like to spare her the pain, what with the things she had gotten through in the past five years (my brother coming out of the closet being only one of them). I also don't want to be the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

Go to the doctor?

10. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Okii, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for overcoming fears. I need a tetnus injection, and was meant to have it at school this morning. However, I got into the line, cried for 20 minutes infront of the nurses and a few classmates before walking out without having the injection. I have to have it done at the doctors soon, but the thought of needles just makes me hysterical.

Any advice or calming down tips would be sterling. Thanks :)

11. ugu

ugu New Member

This probably won't help unless you know what I'm talking about, but have your mind set on facing your fears. Talk yourself into believing you don't need to be afraid of needles.

12. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

Lots of calming breaths and try to distract yourself before you have it done. Needles have never bothered me, but I'm scared to death of heights. My hubby (then boyfriend) wanted to take me up in a hot air balloon...I thought I was going to have a panic attack. I had to take a few minutes, take deep breaths, and talk myself into going up. Once I did, it wasn't so bad. Needles aren't fun, but if you don't look, they're really not so bad. Take a 5 minute pep talk before you walk in and psych yourself up to do it. Good luck! :)

13. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Or you could always take some nice prozac beforehand.
    :)

14. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

:p That too!

15. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I guess it wouldn't do much good in conquering the fear...but if you just want to get it over with...

16. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

the docotr suggested diazipan for normal anesthetic neddles, but with the tetnus shot you can't be on most medicantions or anything apparently ....

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm just gunna man up, suck it in and get it over and done with. I only need it once every 10 years so .....

17. Firefly

Firefly Member

I did. The doctor said that if it's still there by four weeks from when it started to come back. And it's almost been four weeks.

And I've got an update. My hearing is really bad now. I can still hear people talking and stuff, but they have to talk louder. It seems like I have half the hearing I used to (in both ears, though my right ear was always bad). But at least now nobody can blame me for not listening. :p

18. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

In short, I've decided that I need new friends. The problem: I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm home for the summer, and I'm really not sure what I can do to make some new relationships.

19. Darthgumby

Darthgumby New Member

oh overcoming fears is easy. Just remember up until the second it happens, you're not getting shot with a needle, so your life is going on as usual. After those few seconds your life will return to normal, maybe with a little band-aid but otherwise it will be normal. So just ignore the few seconds of life you will be uncomfortable. tell jokes, write something, talk to someone, do whatever it takes to keep your mind off of the needle until it is actually time for the needle, and when that time comes just think of something worse that could be happening, and you'll be fine. I mean, a needle hurts, but not nearly as much as getting burned on the stove, or someone punching you or a bee sting even. You'll be fine. you just gotta be tough. if not for you then for those around you.

20. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Um... actually, I meant things like events where I can meet people. There is a heavy dose of fear, attached to the whole situation, but I believe exposure would be the best remedy. I suppose I've moved on to the trial and error phase.

21. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Ill vent here :D
    Im having friend issues. Dont get me wrong- I love my friends. They're fun to hang out with, and I have a lot of friends. I just have issues being really close to them, because they're all very...plain. Honestly, I know Im weird and a bit different. I don't wear the same clothes as everyone, I don't like the same music, and in general I'm different. In my school, I just feel I havent found someone....like me. I havent found anyone who does things that would get you made fun of if the wrong people found out. I love writing poetry, and writing in general. I always enjoy Magic The Gathering, the card game. I just don't know if I like anyone anymore. I know this sounds like typic teenager crap- but its hard because I know they really like me, and want to hang out with me, etc. But I just cant the same to them. What to do?

22. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

tarnished- 0_0<--me while reading your post because I am going through the exact same thing!!! In fact, I have similar issues. None of the my friends write and when I try to tell them that I do, they think I am being weird. It's really hard because I've known them for a long time and I can just say that we don't have much in common anymore. Are you in high school? If so, then hope and pray that in college you guys go to different colleges. Unfortunately, most of my friends ended up in the same college and I find myself hanging out with them but I am miserable while doing so. It's a very complicated situation and even I haven't figured out how to combat the issue. I guess I just wanted to let you know that there is someone else going through the same thing as you and that you are not weird (or both of us are weird :p)...and...if you figure something out, do tell. :)

I know I didn't give you a definite answer but I hope this helped you cope with the issue. And I totally understand what you mean when you say that they want to hang out with you but you don't really want to. All of senior year in high school (last year) I started to make up excuses...good ones...but soon after...during college, they dont really invite me anymore...I'm a freshmen so I still have a long way to go and I know I will see them on campus next year but at least you can try to indirectly tell them that you don't want to hang out with them.

GOod luck! :)

23. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Thanks, Starrynight. It means alot that I'm not alone here. Its a really tricky situation, and I really thank you for the help :D
    -Tarnished

24. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

tarnished--no problem! Hang in there!

So I don't know if this is a 'life issue' because when I was reading through the other posts..my problems seem pretty minor but nevertheless I've been down since last week.

So I applied to my university's honors program, something I've been working on for the past year, and I didn't get in. Not trying to be over confident but I seriously though I had a good shot. I had well over the required GPA and a decent number of extra-circulars which I'm an active member. I emailed the lady back and she replied commenting on my essay! Now, I knew that essay wasn't perfect but it was supposed to be a personal issue you dealt with during the first year of college. I talked about a discussion we had in class about diversity and my reaction to the recent hate crime that took place.

Maybe they just didn't like it...I'm ok with that. Not everyone has to like what I write but she added that I didn't take Eng 101 (College English) which I did in high school...got AP credit for it. So I emailed her that and she replies: "I'll forward this to the committee"

I have no idea what that means and I am freaking out...It's just hard when you worked at something for a whole year. I slogged to get my GPA and gave up a lot during the second semester to maintain it. It just hurts I guess. She mentioned that all decisions were final, yet she forwarded it to the committee anyway...is there hope?

That was a long rant...sorry about that, I just hate not having a definite answer....:(

25. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I know what you mean. I missed both of my university offers, so have to wait til the 14th August to find out if either will take me anyway. The suspense is killing me! Just hang in there, and see what happens. There's still hope at least :)