The Bible

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by colorthemap, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I think Jesus may have exemplified that quite a few times (though the whole turn the other cheek sermon is a discussion for another day ;) ), however, without delving into a doctrinal discussion, it's quite clear that other authors in the new testament did not share this view of equality. Paul is one of those characters I find rather chauvanistic (sp? Not sure, it's late and I have a cold so pshh on the big word spellings). Sure he praises one or two, but it's very clear that he believes women should hold a quiet and meek position of subservience to men. And he didn't like being disagreed with...but maybe that went with the chauvanism. Haha.

2. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Well in the Talmud it is said they wrote bad things about Jesus Christ therefore I understand why they decided not to include it...;)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Those passages are thought by many scholars to have been added later, not part of the original Talmud.

Please refrain from inflammatory comments.

4. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Interesting. I've actually never held it in my hands, so all I know is what has been given to me via oral rendition. I didn't realize the Talmud was that shoot, what's the word I'm looking for....not modern...but ugh. Brain fried. I'm trying to say, I always assumed it was CONTEMPORARY (that's the word) with the Torah.

Or is it like the Bible in that it has sections attributed to earlier authors, and later authors? I'm learning something here.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Many of the translations, and worse yet, transcriptions, are unreliable.

6. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    But it is true that myths can point to the truth. There are thousand of world flood stories (in fact a Hawaiian flood legend is quit close to the biblical). They've even found some proof of the parting of the red sea. The wheels of Egyptian war chariots and horse bones (and human) have been found. Many things that you probably don't believe could ever happen, have happen in the bible, and there is quite some proof supporting some of these things.

7. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

The Talmud was written after the Torah, and completed about one century AC, so it's relatively new, the problem is that it's not completely translated from hebrew, anyway as far as I understood it's the interpretation of the Torah.

Some parts of the Torah itself are relatively new, about 200 BC, there's different material from different eras.

8. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

All the more reason for me to geek out over ancient texts. Must try and find some...but translated to English as I can't read Hebrew to save my life.

9. EMSchell2009

EMSchell2009 New Member

I think each of the religious texts from all over the world have something to say. If nothing else they have much to say about our moral evolution. From punished, to free thinking. All of these books teach lessons in morality and love. They aren't always well written, but the stories are timeless. What child has never heard of the Ark?

10. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Exactly.

11. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Well if they haven't heard of the ark, they probably heard of the barge. ;)