The Food Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Cogito, Dec 31, 2012.

1. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Tonight I ate tunafish sandwiches.

2. MainerMikeBrown

I could go for a pulled pork sandwich right about now.

If I feel the same way tomorrow, I'll be headed into town and order one at the local diner.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Pretty basic summer dinner coming tonight: charcoal-grilled burgers and corn on the cob. Beer, too.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Mmmm, went to Trader Joe's tonight, lots of ready to eat stuff in the fridge now. :D

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Think I'll daydream myself over for a visit. Thanks for the invite. :)

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Lord, how did I miss this thread? Oh, wait, I wasn't around when it started. Damn. Just read through the whole thing and I'm STARVING.

I love to cook as well, but have had to make huge changes since I moved to Scotland.

On one hand, I now have access to all the continental foods like fabulous cheeses and ditto wine. I also have not only discovered curries, but I know how to make them from scratch, and we own just about every spice in the universe. My husband (a Scot) is also a foodie - a picky foodie, but a foodie nonetheless, who loves to cook as well - and we have TWO spice cupboards in our house. And of course there are local delicacies such as haggis, neeps and tatties ...yummm... and great seafood. And on the pre-prepared food side, I don't think I could live without great British chutneys and Branston Pickle.

The down side: Why do British people like their meats so bland and their game so "well hung?" No, not what you're thinking. They actually hang it for weeks till the feathers and fur fall off. You can imagine what that tastes like. They say it tastes like 'game.' Ermm...it pongs and tastes like rotten meat.

British pork has NO TASTE (or smell) WHATSOEVER. And since pork is my favourite meat, this means I have had to totally re-jig my recipes and meals. Beef is bland. Whatever they feed their animals, it's not corn.

Things are improving. When I first came here 28 years ago it was nearly impossible to get a cup of coffee that wasn't Nescafe Instant. And I'm talking EVERYWHERE, people's homes, restaurants, fine restaurants, etc. When you said 'coffee' you meant Nescafe. Now we are spoiled for choice. Great coffee everywhere. It has ceased to be an issue for me.

For me? Well, I'm a huge fan of food, period. The only food I can't eat (because of an allergy) is oats. This is ironic, living as I do, in a country where Porridge Is King. But I can and will eat anything else in the universe. Love all kinds of ethnic cooking. I'm currently experimenting with Thai cooking, which is popular here. German, middle European, Italian, Greek, classic American, Middle-Eastern, Indian and Pakistani cooking are all big favourites. My favourite restaurant in Glasgow is Russian, and I have their borscht recipe which is unforgettably good.

Anyway ...nice to see this thread and read through everybody's contributions and favourite foods. Hey.

7. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Glad you found the thread, [MENTION=53222]jannert[/MENTION] .

Actually corn is bad for the cows. I've switched entirely to grass-fed, although I know some people insist the corn-fattened are better. It's better for the earth and the animals (and for us) for them to eat grass.

Re: Nescafe -- I'm glad you've got good coffee now. I knew nothing of Nescafe until I travelled outside of the U.S. -- it's nonexistent here, but it seems to predominate everywhere else. There's a lot of it in the Caribbean, which always struck me as odd, since they're so close to major coffee producing areas. The situation does seem to be improving.

I've got to make a tomato sauce today. We have an eggplant and basil from our CSA, and I've decided to use some pork and beef and I guess I'll use the sauce for a baked ziti.

8. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

I literally hate everything about that meal xD

9. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

That's an eww lol

10. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

Oh god, pulled pork sandwiches are so gross, I had one once when I ate red meat. I'm really unsure of what kind of meat that is or where it comes from lol

11. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

Oh god, pulled pork sandwiches are so gross, I had one once when I ate red meat. I'm really unsure of what kind of meat that is or where it comes from lol

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, if you don'y like meat, then pulled pork may not appeal to you. But a good pulled pork is heavenly. I like Carolina style with a peppered vinegar marinade (no sweet sauce).

13. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

Yuck! That's sounds absolutely disgusting xD

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I guess you don't eat food. What sustains you? Beams of heavenly goodness emanating from soul of the universe? 'Cause that would be cool, especially if you could establish a restaurant that serves them!

:)

15. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I do wonder if you came here just to discuss everything you hate about everyone's favorite food... or if you just don't like food in general. In that case, I pity you.

I made fish nuggets today for the first time! Used some sort of tempura batter to coat them, made from flour, beer, sugar and spices. They were quite tasty, I'll have to remember this way of preparing fish.

16. Cogito

Oohh, fish fingers! With custard?

Seriously, though, beer battered fish is scrumptious. I don't usually use sugar in the batter, but it could work. Try folding soft-whipped egg whites into the batter.

17. Kaze Araki

Kaze Araki Member

I love sushi, especially tuna.
    I am a disaster when it comes to cooking but still I am a good eater.
    Unfortunately, I am always filled with guilty conscience whenever I ate them.
    But in my defense, I only do it once in a month or two.

I am very well aware of the perils overshadowing the tuna and salmon stocks.
    If worst come to worst, I will stop eating them altogether.

18. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Tonight I tried the best refreshing drink. Fill half a jug with ice, add a few thin slices of lemon and a few sprigs of basil (crush it lightly) and fill with water. No sugar, no additives, absolutely the tastiest drink ever.

19. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I'm having a vodka freeze after a day on the 4-wheelers:D

20. Cogito

Lime slices and mint work well too. Both are very refreshing and fragrant. Sugar only makes you thirstier if you add it.

21. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

[MENTION=1349]Cogito[/MENTION]: Lime and mint, of course! Thank you for that, I'll try it tomorrow lunchtime. I normally use lime with raspberry, and some others worth trying are blueberry and sage, lemon, cucumber and mint, watermelon and rosemary (a close second, for me) and pineapple mint. That's all I have for now, and I'm not the most adventurous cook so I always wait for recommendations :)

[MENTION=53984]Garball[/MENTION]: funny you should say that, I'm drinking vodka right now :D For the first time in a year so I haven't been too bad, but tonight the anxiety got the better of me.

22. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

I love chicken

23. MsScribble

MsScribble Member

I'm broke, there's no money for my daily cappuccino! And I do so love going to the magical place where handing coin to a woman in a window will make one appear, instantly and seemingly from nowhere, and just the why I like it! I know I'm not the only one who finds this place fantastic - whole families of rotund appearance that speak of great wealth stalk across the car park, shoulder to shoulder with the thin and the chain-smoking.
    I'm bereft.

24. MainerMikeBrown

I love having Chinese food on occasion. But sometimes it's awkward for me when I eat at a Chinese restaurant because so many of the names of the food are unfamiliar for me.

25. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

My latest acquisition: a bag of powdered naga jolokia aka ghost chili. I love all things hot and this one is pretty damn hot. I used to have Blair's Death Rain Nitro, but stupid EU regulations make it practically impossible to get in Finland nowadays. It wasn't quite as hot as the naga powder, but came pretty close. I think the main difference, concerning the behavior of the "heat," is that the Death Rain took a few seconds to kick in while the naga fires up your mouth almost instantly and the heat is somehow... sharper? If that makes any sense. I combine it with a couple other spices: one bbq / general dry rub and another chili powder, but I don't know which chili it is, just the hottest stuff an Indian store sold. The latter isn't that hot, but tastes better than the naga although when the three are mixed, there's tons of heat and taste.

Nowadays it feels silly that at some point I thought Tabasco was hot. :D *Exits humming 'Hopeless Case of a Kid in Denial' by the Hellacopters* "You eat tikka, I eat vindaloo."