The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

P4 is an excellent game, my favourite of last year. Persona 3 is my favourite game of all time- the plot, characters and atmosphere are excellent and the battle system is deep and challenging enough to satisfy.

A few pages ago, someone asked about scary games- the scariest game I've played is a little indie-game from Russia called Pathologic. In the game, you're trapped in a village infected with a plague for a period of 12 days. Events happen in real-time and appear differently for each of the 3 playable characters, and it is entirely possible to miss out on something vital for your success. Pathologic has the most oppressive atmosphere of any game I've played. It is also one of the hardest and most frustrating- but very unique and memorable.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Gears of War 2

I've been waiting for this one XD. This weeks Zero Punctuation is pretty good and actually spot on with what I was thinking about the game.

3. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Somebody please give me a PS3. I'm going to die if I don't get it.

4. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Someone give me a 360...or a PS3. Or something other than the Wii. I want me some shooters and good graphics.

5. rory

rory Active Member

Well... I'd give you guys my PS3, but I'm far too in love with it. You can come to the wedding though. Good graphics and stories for all!

6. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Damn, Street Fighter IV comes out on my birthday and I probably won't get it unless it's coming out for the Wii I
    might be able to play it at my brother's house. Yeah of course it's coming to the Wii SFII and all the Anthologies were on Nintendo systems.

7. Kratos

Kratos New Member

It's not coming out for the Wii. I know, it sucks. RE5 isn't coming out for Wii either, even though RE4, Umbrella Chronicles, REmake, and RE0 all came out on Nintendo systems. That's so...stupid.

8. kyle777

kyle777 Member

I don't get it. Is the Wii not powerful enough to handle the graphics or something? It could handle RE4, so it should be able to handle RE5. The Wii gets left out of a lot of game rings, for sure. It's always "...for PS3 and XBox 360..."
    Kind of forces you to buy the other consoles.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I'm sure the Wii could probably handle RE5. There's probably another reason why it's not on the system at release (Probably gamer demographics). Capcom is a big porter company though. I wouldn't be surprised if the game came to Wii a year or two later. Plus, prots always rip those of us who buy the original's off big time by have extra content, or content that we had to pay for built in. Ports > than original systems almost all the time (it's actually a little infuriating).

That, and the PS3 and the XBox are more game ring friendly (unless its one of those rings that plays mostly single player). Only a handful of Wii games are conductive to bringing friends over to play with (mostly Mario Kart and Smash Bros).

So I guess technically Nintendo forces you to buy the other consoles if you like party play because they don't put to many games on their consoles that fit the multiplayer niche.

10. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

They have a lot of mulitplayer games, they're just casual.

11. Kratos

Kratos New Member

It's why I want a 360. I got a Wii for Nintendo exclusives, but it seems like every good game these days is for 360 and/or PS3. I have a pretty good gaming PC, but that means I can't play with my friends or brothers.

12. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I don't know, I like owning strangers as much as I do my friends. Maybe I'm just weird.

13. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

MOON for DS is a freakin awesome game. There is no reason why I descent FPS should be on a DS but they pulled it off.

14. kyle777

kyle777 Member

Wait, MOON...? I think I've heard of something like that. Gamespot said it was a really good game or something...

15. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Active Member

RE 5 not coming out for the wii? That's pretty dumb considering all the games on the gamecube and stuff :S Anyone played Animal Crossing : City Folk? I love the DS version and the original cube one, but i'm hesitant to buy it if it's basically the same game with a couple of upgrades as that's just lazy. Considering it's the next generation i'd want it to have a lot to offer.

16. apathykills

apathykills New Member

Dude re4 was a ps2 game, and from the clips i've seen it looked better on the ps2 then the wii.

There's a reason so many games aren't being ported to the wii despite it having a massive install base; it's just not powerful enough to run them.

Up until now the only ports the wii managed to run at an acceptable level were ps2 ports and when a next gen games attempt are ported to the wii then, well… just look at the left for dead port as a cautionary tale.

17. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

What are you talking about? RE4 was released first on the gamecube and then ported to the PS2. And there is no Left 4 Dead port on the Wii, it was just on the xbox 360 and steam.

I do agree with what you said about the Wii not being powerful enough, though. It's like 2 gamecubes duct taped together.

18. Corpsetastic

Graphics on the wii do disappoint me, but i guess reflecting the original release price and how they're focused on bringing a wider range of people into gaming, it's expected. I don't mind the graphics obviously, but i just think it could do more.

19. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I don't think that's it. Nintendo just makes reliability and gameplay it's core focuses. That's why Nintendo systems are always the most reliable of the systems available and why their games have a rather large hard core fan base. I think the claim that Nintendo is for casual gamers is a bit untrue. Nintendo caters to Nintendo fans and just happens to make games that tend to be family friendly as a result. That's why the third party titles for their systems tend to suck.

20. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Nintendo does cater to Nintendo fans, but what other good games, excluding the exceptional jewel, comes from a third party? All Wii games I have are Metroid, Zelda, Mario, SMBB. The Wii, by choice of the majority (third party publishers), became a casual console. And Nintendo likes it this way, remember the E3? "What hardcore games will we see for the Wii?" "Animal Crossing." Seriously?

21. apathykills

apathykills New Member

ha?

*slaps self on head*

ah sorry, i meant dead rising.

22. Corpsetastic

Nintendo's always been my console of choice, as i can't really afford to buy more than one, i love their games like Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and all manner of others, but as Acglaphotis said, their third party support is very poor compared to the other consoles. It's just annoying as the main titles are very good but after that the choice is pretty poor.

23. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Apologies if this has already been covered, but has anyone got a verdict on Skate 2? I quite liked the first one, but there were some frustrating mechanics that really got to me after a while (often re-starting a failed goal in front of a car and stacking/failing immediately annoyed me no end, to name one >_<)

24. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Yeah, but it was designed for the Gamecube first. RE5 might make it onto the Wii, but I don't expect it to anytime soon.

25. apathykills

apathykills New Member

Didn't know that at the time, came as a bit of a shock really. But okamy is still a ps2 original so there :p

Not in its current make, if it was ever ported it would have to be watered down and not only in graphics.

It's possible that enemy a.i will have to be cut down, as well as the number of enemies on screen. gameplay mechanics may have to be cut out (like in dead rising, were you're no longer able to take photographs in the wii port.)

It is much more likely that they will design a brand new wii exclusive game instead.

now to be fair, my opinion on the wii is mostly from what i read online as it's not very popular in my country and almost no one has it; but since it is so weak in terms of graphics and processing power i doubt it will be possible to port high end games to it without seriously crippling them.