The Horse Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SonnehLee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

:( Today, I wished I had more horse friends. ones to ride with and stuff.

2. rory

rory Active Member

So... the Calgary Stampede is coming up!! I'm kinda excited, can you tell? It's just over a month away! I've never been before, even though in the past I've lived in Calgary, but this year I fully intend to go see a bit of it. Heck, if I play my cards right I might even get to ride in the Parade! *keeping fingers crossed*

Also, anyone watch that TV series "Heartland"? Based (loosely, I imagine) on the books by Lauren Brooke. They're growing on me, I admit.

3. SonnehLee

they made a tv series out of those books????

4. SingToMeMuse

SingToMeMuse New Member

What a fun thread! Horses have been a part of my life since I was about 10 years old, my first horse was a Thoroughbred and she quite literally was my rock during the hardest time of my life. As a result, Thoroughbreds will always be my favorite, but I also LOVE Freisians, dapple grey (color, not a breed I know), and Arabians of course.
    What style does everyone ride? English or Western?

5. SonnehLee

Definitely Western. English riding scares me. Ha.

6. rory

rory Active Member

You betcha! Going into the third season! They say they broadcast it internationally, but they say a lot of things, don't they? Here's the site, if you're interested.

Horses do have an uncanny ability to keep us humans "grounded" through all the ups and downs of life. I don't know where I'd be without them.
    Have you ever seen a Canadian horse? People call them the poor man's friesian, cause they look similar, but not as expensive to buy. ;)
    I ride both english and western. I love them both and can't decide between the two. What about you?

7. SonnehLee

*sigh* I can't watch the show. They look too different than I imagined them. Not fair. Except Jack. Jack looks exactly like I'd imagined him.

And when I was six and lived in a subdivision, I wanted a Canadian so badly!

8. rory

rory Active Member

I actually never read the books, so that's possibly why I can watch the show without cringing. As far as I can tell, from reading character profiles and synopsis, they aren't really that similar. Like the presence of Mallory and Jake, who I don't think are even in the books, but as it happens are my favorites in the show. Besides there were only what, 25 books? There have been way more episodes than that. Unless one book is covering several episodes, which is doubtful seeing as Amy usually 'fixes' the horses within the hour long program.
    Ah, how I love obsessions! :rolleyes:

9. SonnehLee

Yeah, the books are very very different. Some of the horses stay for a few books.