The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Following up on my CDR/DVDR Rom problem. I found one one sale for $21.99 on Newegg. It also had a $7 instant rebate and free shipping. So I have a new one coming for only $14.99. :cheerleader:

2. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

@Andrae Smith it sounds to me that even if you did walk out, you would come across as a good candidate at another job. Just to say in the worse case scenario of "losing" the job, you'd probably just "win" another pretty quick. Sounds like you'll be fine once you weather the storm.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  3. Lewdog

I had to deal with a lot of the problems like the ones you are talking about. OMS (One more sale) UPT (units per transaction) and the profit margin. I can tell you some of the things we always did but I don't know how much it will really help. Sampling, which isn't going to work for you, you won't be allowed to sample food. Putting the highest margin item RIGHT next to the register. You want that last chance for a customer to see it. We also would have the cashiers mention the item with each sale. "We have a good deal on some batteries today." The last and most effective is cross merchandising. Have batteries in the kids section next to the toys, having them next to radios in the Electronics section, have them next to the massagers... I think you get it. You might already do these things, but I thought I would share some of my experiences.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  4. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

I hate that I have such little confidence in my abilities as a writer, which keeps me from writing at all. Logically, I know that I'm an alright writer, but my perfectionistic tendencies paralyze my fingers, and it's the most frustrating cognitive dissonance I'll ever experience.

Adhulari likes this.
  5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

If we get into semantics, you would call that a HARD disc drive, because you could still have a FLOPPY disc drive, for external discs. But yeah...

6. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

and it still wouldn't ever open. Unless you dropped it from a dizzy great height.

7. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Can a floppy disc drive become a hard disc drive?

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Only if she flashes her software.

Jaro and 123456789 like this.
  9. Lewdog

No but if they have kids together you get a 'Card Reader/Writer.'

10. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

It sounds like your skills and hard work are going to waste, to be honest. Perhaps with the experience you've got now, it'd be possible to find a better job? Not sure if your economy has perked up and if there are now more jobs available, but if it looks like you've got options, I'd go for it. Just make sure you've got it before quitting the old one! Good luck. :)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I like your stick-to-it attitude, as usual. But I'm also worried that you're feeling so stressed. Challenged is one thing. Stressed is another. Unappreciated is yet another. Make sure you don't get dragged down working your tail off for a company that doesn't give a shit. There are companies out there that will offer you the same kinds of challenges, but will appreciate you more.

12. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Thanks @KaTrian I'm thinking about applying again at the movie theater. If I can get an Assistant manager position, the pay will be pretty comparable and the environment very different. But it would be a welcome challenge. It is much more service oriented. There are other jobs around too, I just haven't been digging because I'm not sure what I want to do. I've come to enjoy the fast-paced action of retail. Working anywhere after being in the highest volume Super center in the state, might just seem a tad slow >_< but We'll see ha ha.

@jannert thank you so much for caring. You know I was stressing over it for a long time. But then the other day I had a strangely deep sleep and woke up rejuvenated an hour early. As I awoke. y first thought wasn't "what time is it?" or "wow I feel great" or anything like that. (They came later lol.) My first thought was moreso the awareness that I had been putting entirely too much energy into my job and it was time I stepped back and get back to who I am. It was more a feeling than words. Idk who I was talking to in me dreams, but since then, I've not really been stressin' about it - at least not as much. I may very be taken for granted in this store, but they'll learn. either while I'm willing to do the job or when I walk like EVERY OTHER D82 Manager they've had in recent years.

I think the biggest thing keeping me in it is that I'm too proud to let go of this job without having my skills and my work reflected in the results. I've got more talent than is showing because of obstacles I can't get over on my own. but best believe they will know what's up next time they want to talk to me about not meeting company expectations. I'll throw their words back at them. I'll challenge them with the company's core values which they aren't meeting. I've been fairly docile, but at this point, I can't afford to play nice and take criticism over someone else's mistake. As a DM I own my dept. I take responsibility for everything that happens because that's the expectation. But at the same time, I've realized I can't do that. I can't clean up after people, take on their work, or take the fall when someone drops the ball. I've been keeping track of names and faces. If I'm the expert in my department, then management ought to take my word instead of blow me off. I only have so much patience and I sense some people are starting to see I'm reaching my limit before I turn the heat up on them.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  13. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I picked Up Steven Kings -Doctor Sleep" for under 7 buck...... to tired to star it tonight. Yet just reading the name Torrance again made me think I should move this to the happy thread.. but then if it was truly happy I would be page deep in his adult life.

14. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Pissed off at how grandiose and difficult I have made this novel idea. Pissed that it would be too unrealistic, and want to toss the whole thing in the trash. Good thing I haven't written much. But I'm still attached to the idea and am going to keep trying to work it out to make it possible. Mad sad sad mad mad sad mad sad sad sad. Mad.

jannert and Andrae Smith like this.
  15. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I've been there... It's not an easy one to get over. I ultimately had to learn when to let it burn. I'm not saying that that is right for you, but I'm sure it won't hurt to reevaluate what you're working on and perhaps find a mine-able vein, a worthwhile nugget that can be used to craft a story that s more workable. in my case it almost worked, but I lost interest because it wasn't the story I wanted to tell, but it may ye work for you. good luck!

16. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Bunch of CMEs headed this way from the Sun, no rain, no clouds, and the dang sky is absolutely smoky. Sigh...

17. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I'm consistently reminded why I don't like one of my siblings because she never contacts me except to want something.

Aaron DC likes this.
  18. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I hear you. Tough love saved me there but dayam it sucks.

edamame likes this.
  19. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

We're having some remodeling done at the house. It was supposed to begin with the master bathroom, but when the guys got here this morning, they insisted on changing the plan to the main bathroom. They are now ripping out the main bathroom, and we weren't prepared for that. Now we have to rush around looking for new fixtures and a new tub etc. for a bathroom we thought we wouldn't have to think about for a week or so.

They also want to rip out our kitchen in a day or two. We thought that wouldn't happen for two more weeks. We haven't even picked out counter tops or lighting yet. And I'm busy enough as it is, without this pedal-to-the-metal remodeling work.

Fuck. Gigantic fuck.

jannert likes this.
  20. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

*slides a pack of your favorite liquor over to you*

Drink. You need this more than I do. :[ Sorry to hear this is happening, must be a very chaotic blow to your routine.

21. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I noticed I reached 1,000 messages on the forum and the thought hit me that I might be a failure.

I don't feel like I have added much to the forum. Thus I feeling like more of a burden than anything helpful. :cry:

I AM SORRY GUYS!

22. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Can I join you? Sometimes I wonder if I only joined to hang out because I hardly do any critiquing here. Despite having 'writer' in my username.

:cry:

GuardianWynn likes this.
  23. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

:friend:Of course! HUGS!

Link the Writer likes this.
  24. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Nothing matters when nobody cares about you. Sorry feeling deeply depressed, and wondering if there is more to life than the hell that I suffer everyday. Not that it matters, as I know now that I am suppose to be miserable. Perhaps my suffering grants others happiness? IDK. What is the logic in my suffering for my ex's infidelity? Her life got better and I am left alone and bitter. Then again what is nine years worth? For that matter an entire life of misery and being ostracized? I may never find out. Like I said what does it matter. One life isn't worth anything, when weighed against the world, let alone the universe. (Don't flip out and worry about me, just in a deep depression and questioning reality). What is the point of paying for others mistakes, while they get off guilt free?

jannert likes this.
  25. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

When I'm depressed I find a book to live in.

KaTrian, Ben414 and GuardianWynn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.