The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

They say it's only when things get difficult that our true selves come out. :( People we once thought were kind-hearted, compassionate souls suddenly undergo a 'Jekyll and Hyde' transformation where they suddenly couldn't give two shits about a group of people in desperate need of help. Hate to sound morbidly cynical, but I suppose it's easier to feel less sympathy for those who are from a completely different culture than yours. :( That's the ugly side of humanity. We don't know just what kind of person/people we are unless we are truly tested. From what I understand and have heard, we, the 'western world', are completely failing at this test.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

One of my front teeth is killing me. It's SO sensitive. Even breathing with my mouth open hurts because the cold air flows over it. I have no idea what's caused this because I haven't eaten anything that generally causes sensitivity, like ice cream. Last thing I ate was salted popcorn at the cinema and I don't usually get this problem with popcorn.

It hurts and it's distracting me from editing crucial scenes :(

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Adult cartoons!

We import them by the truckload here in the UK; Brickleberry, Southpark, Family Guy, etc, etc, etc.

They're so fucking clichéd and unoriginal nowadays... "I know, let's make yet ANOTHER adult cartoon in which we try to offend as many people as possible by adding loads of sexual references and controversial / taboo content."

Grow up, you cock ends!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  4. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Member

I use to love watching adult cartoons, but you're right, they've become so predictable it's stupid. Every show has a similar episode back-to-back with the other. Take Family Guy and the Simpsons. Both started off as great shows, now they are desperate for ideas that they are using one another's old episode stories with their own twist.

This is one of the reason I don't watch TV so much any more. XD

5. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Hate to say it but I STILL LOVE ME SOUTH PARK!!!

If South Park ain't funny or you have to be immature to think its funny, then I'm so damn GLAD I'm just one big kid!

I still hold a big place in my heart for classic Simpsons and even a couple Family Guy episodes at varying degrees. But I think pretty much every episode of South Park has at least made me laugh more then once.

Just something about it that captured my imagination.

Though still understandable as to why people wouldnt like it :p and I am a self proclaimed big kid ;)

But I've never heard the term cock end before as an insult?

Is that a British thing?

6. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Member

SouthPark is the exception to the rule. They are still making good shows, and aren't afraid to push the limit.
    I wasn't saying all adult cartoons sucked, just most of them. They all share ideas and share episode themes, but some do stand out... South Park being one. Rick and Morty being another...

Kingtype likes this.
  7. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Oh trust me, I totally feel ya on some of them ending.

Simpsons needs to end and FG and I think American Dad is nearing that time as well. I've never watched Brickleberry or whatever that is though

And I TO LOVE RICK AND MORTY! :D

ClassyCanuck likes this.
  8. OurJud

Yes... probably a me thing if I'm honest.

However, 'brickload' is total nonsense and I have no idea what I meant by it. Well, I do - I meant 'truckload', but I have no idea why I typed 'brickload'.

9. OurJud

Went to the docs last Monday to get the results of my recent blood tests. I'm type 2 diabetic with slightly raised cholesterol (of the bad type). He put me on Metformin for the diabetes and Atorvastatin for the cholesterol with instructions to improve my diet and make sure I get my 'five a day'.

So since Monday I've been eating my fruit and veg like a good boy, and have had nothing but headaches, stomach cramps, and the shits as a result :bigmeh:

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

So did he say anything about your hypoglycemia?

OurJud likes this.
  11. Tenderiser

:friend:

If the shits last more than a few weeks, ask to be switched to slow-release metformin. Feel free to PM if you have any diabetes questions.

OurJud likes this.
  12. OurJud

Not really. We didn't discuss it. The nurse who I saw a couple of days before said it was just down to my body not controlling my sugar levels properly, and to try and eat something that releases sugars over a longer period if I have any more episodes. Eating sweets and chocolate when I have a hypoglycemia attack is a quick fix, but very short lived and is more likely to leave me feeling fatigued when the sugar rush falls off.

I will. Thanks. As it stand, just imagine Richie and the cattle prod, and you'll get the picture :D

Tenderiser likes this.
  13. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Just generally down and cheesed off.
    Pissed off
    Going nowhere fast.
    Going nowhere at all really.
    Does this downer ever end? I'm so sick of telling people "look at what you have, not what you want ..." And them being all "Oh, wow! Thank you for that!" but when I'm curled in a corner blubbering like a dying animal, all those people I've helped are nofuckingwhere to be seen.

14. GingerCoffee

Look at people that have less, and be happy. Don't look at people that have more and be sad.
    :friend:

cutecat22 likes this.
  15. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Worst day in... uh since new years? (Sunday, well and today). My ex-friend managed to ruin a friendship of mine (a friend of his too) on purpose... WITH A JOKE. I can't fucking believe it. If he still lived in my city I'd beat him up (and im against violence against others) anyways, the friendship he ruined was merely an acquaintance, but the sad fkin realization that he can AND keeps fucking me over even when we're not friends astonishes me. And why? For a laugh? He is such a fucked up douchebag it's insane.

As a result I did (thank the gods) not cut myself, but I've been tilting the entire night and gave myself a swollen cheek...and now I'm going to sleep. It's three hours till school, but I honestly doubt I'll be awake or mentally ready for that...then there's the cheek I'll have to explain to everyone. I hate everything.

Ok I think I let it all out now, didn't really have anywhere else to bitch about it so...#RantOver

16. cutecat22

I'm glad you didn't cut yourself (was this a metaphor or have you actually cut yourself before - I'm not being funny or anything, it's just, my daughter has done that in the past so I'm not totally on the outside). That's a big step to take - well done you.

The cheek thing, I'm not sure what tilting is but you could explain is a bad tooth/infected gum.

But, friends do that. And not so good friends do that too. (((hugs)))

17. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

I have cut myself before.
    Tilting is pretty much being extremely mad, raging...so yeah. My cheekbone swell up after a few..uh punches (it's hard hitting yourself, like literally)

and no, friends don't do that.

18. cutecat22

My friend recently did. She totally destroyed a thirty year friendship with one sarcastic comment and then followed it up with three little words (definitely not 'I love you') which put me totally on the back foot for a full week.

Punching yourself is the lesser of two evils - you've probably heard this a thousand times but, you really are not alone (((hugs)))

19. OurJud

Terribly irritated by the voice-over on these movie promotions we see on TV, where the guy reads out a list of quotes from critics and newspapers as though they're facts, as opposed to opinions...

"From the producers of The King's Speech; Macbeth is 'Stunning', and 'Magnificent'. 'Michael Fassbender is Terrific'. 'Marion Cotillard is Magnetic'. Macbeth, in cinemas Friday."

Now that's funny, because I always thought Michael Fassbender was a colossal twat rather that terrific. Just shows you how wrong you can be, doesn't it?

cutecat22 likes this.
  20. GingerCoffee

Oh how sad. Two cars collided in a nearby intersection yesterday sending one up on the sidewalk where it killed a little 2 yr old in a stroller. On my way home tonight I drove by the corner and it's covered in flowers and stuffed animals. What a horrible thing that the car hit right at the time the mom was walking by.

21. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

:bigfrown:

I can't help but see my occasional walks with my own two year old in that scenario. What an absolute tragedy. I do hope that stupidity such as texting or drinking wasn't involved.

22. GingerCoffee

It was mid-day, drinking has been ruled out. Someone turned in front of another car that was going straight. Not sure yet who wasn't paying attention but it's very common around here. I see intersection collisions relatively often.

23. Tenderiser

I've been in that type of accident twice - other drivers turning right, cutting across my path. Thankfully the worst injury anybody's had was bruising, but it's scary how many inattentive or downright reckless drivers there are.

24. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

I wonder if we can get something like an Equanimous thread. That a word? Equanimity. I'm not happy or sad. I'm kind of sad, but accepting of reality. Just wanted to post that I'm happy that if my relationships in life fall through completely and my career fails, I can just be dirt poor and continue writing. It will always be something I can come back to. It may never pay the bills, but it will always be an enjoyable thing to do. Right now I feel like I'll just never have solid, long-lasting relationships with anyone, that I'm not cut out for them and no matter how much therapy I do, self-help books I read, there will just be something eternally wrong with me. (Cognitive distortions abound, I know. Venting here.) So if my catastrophizing comes true, there's still writing. That's happiness forced, overlaying sadness. Balancing out to something neutral, almost numb good.

25. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My generalized anxiety disorder. A ceaseless rumble of worry that churns in the background, the fear that something bad is going to happen. Fear of some unseen threat. Despite all evidence to the contrary it tells me that this unnamed dread is something to be afraid of. Sometimes I have to play the mental "calm yourself" game, which gets tiring after a while.

Sometimes it's not even fear, sometimes it's whatever caused me anxiety/disturbed feelings in the past that it "helpfully" resurrects and fixates on. For instance, just now I was going to go write my fantasy when my anxiety said, "Hey, hey, remember the time you asked yourself what would happen if someone raped your main character (it was a female on female rape)?" and gifts me with a horrible image of said thing happening. Even when I told it that (a) that would never happen in the story and (b) I was inspired by the 'where are you not willing to go' thread to ask myself that question. The feeling doesn't care. It just fixates on that, the image, and tells me I'm a mental nutcase for fixating on it.

So yeah, that's my anxiety disorder. A frantic hamster endlessly running on its wheel (as I picture it) while reminding me of things that disturb/frighten me and fixates on them until it gets bored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.