The Road to Dragon's Peak Discussion/OOC Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by murasaki_sama, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

Personally I've been hiding the character's thoughts and inner dialogue for the most part. I tend to do this to try to avoid spoiling the character's backstory as well as to give an air of mystery to the character, which is something I'm seeking with Crispin. If you'd rather I be more explicit, that's fine, but I just wanted to give the reasons for the bare-boned nature of my posts.

2. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

lolz, i shock myself with my mind at times. *smug face* again, i am phychic. i thought of her being in a cell even as she was fighting Mason.

scarrrryyyyyy!~ :p

3. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

That's the hard part about roleplays - balancing the suspense and secrecy of a character, slowly revealing their past and motivations, while also adding depth and detail to the posts, more than just actions and dialogue. I totally understand why you kept the posts bare boned, and why you might want to continue to do so. However, you can add other details. Thoughts that only Crispin understands, half remembered references....like, Oh, thoughts that are interrupted or whatever. You can also add world details, the smell, the sights, the sounds... Little random history facts.

For Lavanya, I use her narration to explain Pohoni customs and phrases, the little things that make Lavanya stand out as different. You see, the characters would notice these things and think them odd; some might even know why she does them. The roleplayers, however, don't have that knowledge, so I explain it in my narration and then the roleplayers know what they need to pick up. Without my narration, the character interactions wouldn't make as much sense/be as realistic. And when I post as Hui in a little bit, I will explain why he can't let Tala join (yet).

Characters from Logoth, the desert, or anywhere really, could do the same, explain little things. Even just explaining that a certain phrase or outlook is different from what other people in the area might say or do. There is so much that can be added to posts. Tidbits of the past, hopes/plans for the future, motivations, thought processes, world description or development, character introspection, soooo many things. The trick is to find a way to add them without spoiling things, not to avoid adding them because they would spoil things. That is why roleplaying is writing practice; it helps with foreshadowing and suspense and keeping secrets from the readers while also telling them everything they need to know.

4. Keitsumah

ill be back tomorrow guys -got a lot of homework. cya

5. Keitsumah

*pokes mura* shouldn't you be the next one to post? *impish grin*

6. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

Yes, I was working on a post yesterday, but school took up most of the day. I will try to post after my driving lesson today, so in about four or five hours. Then I'll work on making my mage character, and trying to find someone to play the support character in group 2.
    EDIT:: Nvm, they canceled my lessons. gonna start working on my post now, although I am eating so it will take a while.

7. Keitsumah

oh you're learning to drive? ha i did that last year!

8. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

Yes, better late than never and all that.

9. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

IMPORTANT NEWS!!!

Alright, so I finished creating my mage character for group two. However, she will not interact with any other Characters for a while, since she is not in the same city. But that is what I want, so no problem. However, the combined profiles exceeded the character post limit (50k characters per post). As such, I had to move them all over to the blog post, which does not seem to have the same limit. You can find them there, now, and I provided a link on the front page, so no worries.

GROUP TWO LEADER - (Phoenix!) - Feel free to start move to the Departure date/time for that group. You can post as Balefore or just let me know and I will post as Lavanya heading toward the Inn at dawn.

GROUP ONE - We can set out soon too! Just waiting on Fox/Fan7 and Loves. Erik, are you around? You might want to post as Mags again!

I'm putting up my first Amemiko post now (I finished it before I put up the profile, just to save time.) Remember, no one is near by, and this is all taking place in the past, at least a month ago. I will make it clear when the other characters can/would hear about the events in that will be explained in my first few Amemiko posts.

10. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

I don't see my character profile there.

11. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

Dammit...I don't know how that happened. I will go find it in my inbox and add it. missing Tala's profile too. bahhhh. one second.

EDIT:: there. all profiles are up. I don't know what happened to them, I was just looking at them earlier, but they seem to have been lost when i transferred them over, which is very odd. either way, they are back.

12. Keitsumah

posted. it took more than i thought so she's not at the boss yet, but it doesn't really matter. that will come with the next post okay mura?

13. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Sorry I've been absent for a while, life y'know :/

Anyway, Imma write a post! :D

14. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

I will try to post in my roleplays sometime tonight or tomorrow.
    However, I have like three essays due in the next two days, long essays, so I have no idea when I'll be done and if I'll feel up to posting when I finish.