The spelling of 'sentence'...

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Lucy E., May 27, 2008.

1. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

That's what schools, colleges and universities are told to teach around here, so yes, the majority agrees.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I am glad to see that the educational community in your area appreciates the idea of linguistic diversity.

I am all for it.

As I stated earlier, some languages, like my native Spanish, have official ruling bodies which attempt to enforce controls over the evolution of the language in a manner which is not at all natural or healthy.

Latinos love bureaucracy.

I am familiar with all the arguments for attempting to maintain a standard Spanish for the Spanish speaking world, blah, blah, blah. Enforced standardization for a language which is spoken over so large an area of the globe is, first, simply impossible, and second; it bleaches away all cultural information.

When I say impossible, I mean just that. I work as an interpreter. This is my livelihood. All day, I speak with people from all over the Spanish speaking world. No matter what the official language might sanction or condemn, there is huge diversity in the Spanish language. Grammar, vocabulary, and accents that are on the verge of creating true shifts in the language abound!

The peoples of Paraguay and Uruguay have a beautiful accent which replaces all of the Y’s and LL’s within a word with a Zh sound. It’s gorgeous! They still spell all of their words the same way I do, but only because the Real Academia Espanola demands it. The truth of the matter is that a significant change has taken place in the Spanish spoken in these countries, and I think the spelling should be allowed to reflect this new and vibrant version which is a part of the culture of these countries.

Culture is being suppressed!

Here in Puerto Rico, we are infamous for not pronouncing S’s and also D’s at the near end of words. There is a reason for this. We have a huge African heritage here in Puerto Rico which includes the languages of the peoples of West Africa. The suppression of the S and the D reflects rules of pronunciation from these African languages. It is not just the way I speak; it represents a part of my cultural heritage which is very important to me.

Culture is being suppressed!

*Wow, this soapbox is getting rickety, gotta' get a new one!*

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

That was the same rationale for teaching "ebonics" in minority schools here in the US...sad truth is, those kids who were encouraged to ignore "proper" English are largely unemployed today. Wonder why?

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I beg to differ. Not quite the same rational. What she is being taught is considered standard for where she lives, making her quite employable. Teaching Ebonics in American schools was/is a multi-headed issue which caused children to be taught a system that was/is not the standard for the workforce community where they live.

5. Speck

Speck New Member

Of course. If that's what is considered correct where you live, I don't blame you for using it. There's a few strange words considered correct that I absolutely hate...but I'll still use them for the sake of being correct. So more power to ya'...I just hate the word.

How about this: you take over the world (or your country) then change the word 'spelt' into something less...'spelty'?...lol

6. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Lol! Sure, I'll give it a shot. ;)

7. Myopic Chihuahua

Myopic Chihuahua Banned

My favorite tortillas are spelt! Mmmm so yummy!