The WF Book Club: The Road

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by arron89, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

For me, more than anything, the lack of conventional marks of punctuation and such are less a symbol and more a a tool in this work. There is a strange inner silence that I hear when I read the dialogue. As if the words are being spoken under very cold water. I can hear them and I cannot hear them. The words fall leaden and smooth and cold and silent.

I don't know how else to describe it.

I was ready to hate the whole no punctuation thing. I was. I've come around. It's as if the lack of the punctuation equates to a failing in my inner voice to activate, like it is waiting for that signal and never gets it, thus the words have meaning but no sound.

2. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

I just finished reading The Road, and I liked the book thoroughly. It took me a while to get used to his writing style, but after after a few pages I was completely absorbed. I had already watched the movie, and was pleasantly surprised by how similar the movie was to the book.

I also was impressed by how belivable the characters in this book were! The boy acted exactly like a young boy would act, the things he said and asked. I even laughed with some of the lines. Nonetheless, the book left a sad feeling, but I suppose that was the author's idea in the first place.

1. In fiction, the idea of the journey is inextricably linked to ideas of progress, development and the attainment of the ideal. Is this true of The Road's journey?

In this case, I don't think so, there was obviously a journey, but I didn't think it represented any progress other than physical progress. There were no psychological or emotional changes in the characters other than their health and location.

2. Neither of the main characters are named. What, in your opinion, are the reasons for this?
    Because they could be any one. It could be your father and you, or you and your son. It doesn't matter. In my opinion, he was trying to show what could happen to any good person who finds himself in this horrible situation.

3. Do you find the ending of The Road to be optimistic or pessimistic about human nature?
    The ending itself is optimistic. The good guys found the boy and "adopted him", but the whole book is pessimistic, showing how horrible and gruesome our nature can be in a life or death situation.

4. McCarthy's style is unmistakable. What are its key features, and how, in this case, do they affect the story?

Well, he does not use quotation marks, the pontuation is not that present, and I thought he abused the word "and". Anyway, this style fits the story perfectly, like it was written in that time, by a survivor of that situation, when the knowledge and rules we have know would be long forgotten.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Has anyone seen the movie? I just wanted to know if it was worth watching and how close it was to the book.

4. Chudz

Chudz New Member

If you've read the book and enjoyed it, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the movie. I think Viggo and Kodi both did well with their respective roles in the film. Plus, I'm a big fan (Note: Not a stalker) of Charlize and what she brings to the table.

Having read the book roughly two years ago, I don't feel qualified to comment on how closely the movie follows it throughout. But I will say that the big scenes I remember from the book are present in the movie, and didn't seem to be drastically altered.

Of course, we are talking about an old guy's memory here. ;) So take it with a grain of salt.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

The movie does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the book, which is quite impressive. The plot is more or less the same as the book, with just a few lesser scenes edited out, and the back story involving the mother slightly expanded. Basically, it's as good as an adaptation of such a complex and language-reliant book as there could be.

6. thirdwind

Thanks. I've seen some mixed reviews online, but since both of you recommend it, I'll check out the movie this weekend.

7. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Is it significant that The Road takes place in America?

An interesting question as you say. There is a tendency to over-interpret but as McCarthy purposefully chose not to name his characters and pesist with his bleak style his choice of location is also likely to have been very consciously chosen.

I'm less inclined to believe he simply plumped for America because it's his home. As you suggest, there is a certain darkness to his prophecy taking place in "the land of the free, the home of the brave". True, the characters are free from a lot that the 21st century has to offer (or impose), but they are now shackled with a whole lot worse. True, they now have their opportunity to be truly brave, but I bet they would revert to pre-apocolyptic times if given a chance.

Moreover, I think the significance if America is important because of the inherent and understandable nature of American literature to focus on the American Dream. Hitting the road in America is an icon of freedom, a metaphor for possibility. The American Dream and its open roads are inextricably linked in my mind, particularly in literature and film. Travelling this Road however is clearly somewhat more of a nightmare - the implications for which I don't think I have to clearly spell out.

Yet, it is interesting that largely the characters do stick to the road. This could well be allegoric. They are seeking direction, sticking to the path no matter what (religious). Or by sticking to the road they are clinging to the past, to an ideal, to a dream, to the American Dream. And potentially others but then I may be risking over-interpretation.

I think it unlikely that America was chosen haphazardly and would very much like to think at least some of the above was close to McCarthy's intentions.

8. Zieki

Zieki New Member

As there's still a few days left in July and I read the book earlier this month, I'd just like to say that I thought the book did exactly what it set out to do. Through his use of minimilist language, no quotation marks, etc. McCarthy established a world that was devoid of most of what we know. I especially like what Wreybies said earlier about the lack of an inner voice - I felt it myself. The characters were talking but it was quiet, if it was there at all. Although I did not feel that it was a depressing read I felt something empty when I finished it. Perhaps it was due to the fact that, like many said before, I don't know that there was any progress in the story of a physical journey.

Is it significant that The Road takes place in America?

At first I would have said no. I tend to dislike anything resembling over-analyzing literature and film. I would've attributed the setting to the author writing about the country which he is from/knows. But reading Gannon's answer definitely changed my mind. In a book so meticulous in its choice of language, structure, and naming. I think the choice of setting certainly has something to do with it. I liked Gannon's take on it as sort of an antithesis of the American Dream and hitting the open road - an American Nightmare.

9. thirdwind

Gannon, the message in the book would have had the same impact on me as a reader even if it took place in some other country. The American Dream aspect is certainly one way of interpreting it. However, one can never be sure if that is what the author intended. As I mentioned earlier, I don't like jumping to conclusions. I found no hard evidence in the book to suggest that America as a country plays a large role in the grand scheme of things.

It's interesting that you mention a religious path. America is certainly a religious/spiritual country, but I feel that most countries around the world have some kind of religious past. So, even if it were set in another country, a reader would be able to connect the book to the history of the country it was set in. Therefore, I think that country is sort of irrelevant to the larger picture. Hope this makes some sort of sense.

10. Manav

Manav New Member

Sorry for joining in so late.... I got my copy just two weeks ago :(

Perhaps you are right. But considering the universal nature of the story I would say, it won't matter if it takes place in any other place than America. A father and son duo facing the same situation in any poor country would have felt the same misery and the sense of lost, hopelessness. The feeling of losing one's home/house (doesn't matter it's a hut or a condo), one's love, one's world is the same everywhere. The love for a father for his child is the same everywhere.

Place the father and son in a poor African country, replace the shopping cart with a crude wooden one, make them move towards north to escape the summer heat, yet still, the essence of the story will remain the same. I have no doubt the readers will feel the same about the duo and their journey in these circumstances too. And that I think is the most beautiful thing about this story. So, I believe saying that the story taking place in America has some significance will be like taking away the soul of the story, or, bluntly put, missing the whole point of the story.

Given the over pessimism of their journey and therefore most part of the book, saying the ending is optimistic will be an understatement. Throughout their journey everyday for the boy was a matter of life and death, his father being his only source of life. When his father died, it was inevitable that he would die....very soon, but he get to live another day, and a day, I think, in those harsh conditions were equivalent to hundred years in normal condition.

Apart from that, when all hopes ceased to exist the illusive 'good guys' suddenly appearing is nothing short of a MIRACLE, and miracles I think are much much more than just optimistic.

Would like to share few more things. But its mid night here and my brain is not functioning properly ;)