Things to Torture Us

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by J.P.Clyde, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I watched scary movies and stuff as a kid, too, and never really minded them. The one that did scare the crap out of me wasn't even a horror movie, though....it was "Jumanji" when I was like 5. :p

2. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

LOL .... Well ... Robin Williams can be a little.. ummm.. yeah...

It wasn't so much the movie but the kid that kinda freaked me out.. My nightmares though weren't really related to the movie... it was a weird nightmare about nothing in particular.

3. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Same here- I LOVED scary movies like The Puppet Master, and The Gremlins... Anyone remember those movies the black little hairballs from outerspace that shot poisonus darts from their mouths?--- CRITTERS!!! (sorry, had to google that)--- LOVED those movies! And Tremors.
    But It? The clown? Gave me nightmares for years (sporatically of course) but literally, years.

4. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^haha, I watched Jumanji for the first time when I was fifteen, and I couldn't fall asleep that night. I kept hearing bongo drums echoing in my head...:p

5. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

lol.

Isn't it funny that the most "friendly" and "inviting" movie is the one that openly scared us.

And I wasn't even afraid of the Gremlins. They were kind of cute actually.

6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I loved Gremlins and my Furby's :p Actually the only toy that ever scared me was a talking Pikachu doll. This big stuffed Pikachu that talked when you squeezed it's hand, foot, tail, eyeball, IDK, something. It wasn't mine, it was my sons and it started talking on it's own, in the middle of the night. So I replaced the batteries. It kept doing it. I left a tape recorder on. It didn't talk... all day. All evening. I fell asleep (my son had really bad asthma until he was 3 so I used to sleep on his floor next to his crib) and this thing would start talking 30 minutes after I feel asleep. I braved it for 3 nights to make sure it was creepy. He really loved that thing. After I was sure though... it had to GO!

7. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Blasphemy! I loved Matilda! :eek: Just kidding, I do love that movie but I can see your point. When i re-watched it a while ago I did find myself thinking "Woah, that's pretty near the mark". I s'pose that's just Roald Dahl for you. :p

I completely agree about the Cabbage Patch dolls...I hated them. Their big, squishy, vacant faces were just weird. I hate Boobahs for their horrid faces and shifty eyes. How can kids like these things?! D:

1 person likes this.
  8. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Jurassic Park was an awesome movie, except for one part in the second movie. The part where that dude gets eaten by like a hundred of those tiny raptor looking creatures...god his screams made it so bad.

I think the worst scene I've ever seen in any movie is in Saving Private Ryan. Near the end during that battle in the town where the German guy kills the American with a knife. God it so slow and horrible...and the begging made it worse! What made it even worse was when the German dude was like "shhh shh it has to happen..." Then theres that chicken of a soldier sitting in the stairway crying and listening to his friend dying. Worst scene EVER!

9. Taylee91

^The worst part of that scene in Jurassic Park was seeing blood trickle through the bushes and down the stream....

10. Daydream

Yeh...doesn't go down well when your 12 lol!

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I've never seen the second one. Kinda shockng as I've seen the first one (almost religously) and the third one (that I stopped caring about after the first viewing)

However, there was one thing that scared the ever living crap out of me. The one thing that plagued my dreams when I was six.

Yea, its so terrible that I'm going to have to put it in spoiler tags. The abomination, the horror of it all!

[​IMG]

See that long thin puppet? That...thing haunted my dreams. The cowboys, I can handle. World's most stereotypical jazz lady? I can handle. That girl who looks like she came from an 80s sitcom? I can handle.

But that puppet in the middle? The pianist? WHAT KIND OF SICKO THOUGHT THIS CREATURE WAS A GOOD IDEA TO PUT INTO A CHILDREN'S SHOW ABOUT TRAINS?

12. Daydream

Haha! He does look pretty creepy to be honest...

13. Link the Writer

Especially when he moved and talked...

...All twitchy...

...Eyes staring at you like they want to kill you, drink your blood, and devour your soul...

The soul-child of Dracula and Satan...

Just what were they thinking?

My sad llama avatar best describes how I feel about that thing now.

14. Taylee91

^Oh my gosh, Link! What show was that? I remember it now! *blast from the past* Haha, I wonder why I even watched that show now...those puppets are super creepy looking. The think puppet with the black hair reminds me of a character from a drama series I used to watched, Dr. Quinn.

@Daydream: No, I'd imagine so. My brothers were younger though when they watched the first two. About nine and six, I think. The thing was, my neighbors invited them over for a movie sleepover. And my mom trusted them of course. They were so scared they slept with the light on in the room. Crazy. My mom was so angry with my neighbors after that...

15. Link the Writer

*sings*Shining TIIIIIIMES station!*sings* Complete with clip of an actual old train snaking across the British countryside. at the end with the credits. (Just out of curiosity, where in Great Britain was that clip filmed?)

That was my favorite part of the whole show. No, not just because it was finally over, but because of the scenery. Somehow it was like, "Since we just scared the crap out of the little kids, let's give them a calming montage....BEFORE WE DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!"

16. Mallory

I can totally understand how a little kid would be scared by that -- when I was 4 or 5, I thought the scene where Trunchbull made the little boy eat a whole cake was scary, as well as the chokey -- but when you say "Why is that okay for children to watch? Why is it rated PG?" do you honestly think kids shouldn't be allowed to watch it? I'm just asking this to clarify.

Kids like having some scary scenes in movies (provided that it's not something horribly gory/sexual/swear-filled etc for a small child, I'm not an idiot). Think about it, the villains in the Disney movies are much more horrible than Trunchbull. In Harry Potter, the villain killed his parents and tried to kill him when he was a baby, and the Durseleys are extremely emotionally abusive. In Shrek, there's a dragon that eats people. These are all movies that are totally appropriate for kids, though.

If a particular kid is disturbed by one of those movies, they don't have to watch it, but I don't think kids' movies should all be about sunshine and kittens and tiptoeing through meadows. Don't get me wrong, because as noted above, I'm not advocating for young children watching graphic violence or sex, but I think a good amount of adventurous scare moments is good.

If you don't have any evil, you can't have a hero who's not afraid to combat the evil. Lack of significant conflict makes any story bland. Besides, kids like excitement and scares. That's why telling horror stories at sleepovers and camp is so popular among them. Kids don't like having things dumbed-down for them.

17. CesiumLifeJacket

CesiumLifeJacket Member

Does anyone remember the dummy episode from The Twilight Zone?

18. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

I remember the autistic kid episode.

19. Mallory

The dummy scene sounds really familiar, although I can't quite recall it.

When I was younger, I played the Nancy Drew detective games - none of them scared me, but there was a part in one of them where an ancient theater dummy breaks down and makes weird noises, and it tweaked my friend out really bad. :)

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Which one? The mannequins coming to life after hours, the Chatty Cathy doll, (with Telly Savalas I think), Caesar and Me?

Based on The Clue of the Dancing Puppet?

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I used to have this little antique clown that was stood up on a stick and a platform... I don't know how to describe it, but it was like a display. My family used to watch Poltergeist a lot, and I watched it repeatedly when I was about 5, and that clown reminded me of the one under the boy's bed in that movie. That was the only part that scared me, too. :rolleyes:

I knew I shouldn't have clicked spoiler. :eek:

I know! How could something so sweet turn into something so scary?

Oh my god, Jumanji scared me too! The drums were so creepy, it was just this feeling of dread.

22. Mallory

I think for me it was the fact that anything creepy could come out of the game, no matter how alien or monstrous.

Also, when I was 5 or 6, I watched this "horror" movie (the kind that's supposed to be comical, like "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" genre) about giant ducks that planned to eat people in stew. I thought it was scary, then felt like an idiot when I saw it a few years later lol!