Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I believe it's to do with the fact that American studios have an agreement to make Godzilla films as well - that's why Shin Godzilla was so hard to get hold of in the west.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I guess the disclaimer was it had to be a positive integer, huh? I suppose "small" implies a non-negative.

3. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Right. The people writing the question never considered that negatives were also perfect cubes. So instead of barely crossing 100 with 3 digits (125), you approach -999 with negatives.

I'm sitting there thinking "say 125, say 125" and then he rings in with an answer that made no sense. I thought he was joking at first. One of those Norm MacDonald answers.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

While the actual answer is 001

5. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Speaking of movies. I highly recommend Jerome Bixby's "The Man from earth". It is done like Twelve Angry Men, where it is a small cast, in limited settings. But the dialog topics are mind blowing! It is the kind of quality story that the industry has forgotten about, in favor of special effects.

Not the Territory and Set2Stun like this.
  6. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    This is one of my favourite (sci-fi?) movies. Minimalist as you say, but very impactful. I rewatch it every few years.

w. bogart likes this.
  7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

A new front door. PVC, not wooden.

8. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Swing dance lessons, a gift from my lovely new girlfriend for us to share together, since we’ve both talked about how we want to learn to dance.

Also, said new girlfriend, who after nearly a year of hanging out after improv classes, going to shows together, and singing innumerable karaoke duets together, finally realized that she wanted more. I always thought the “friends to lovers” trope was just for romance novels, but I am sooo happy to be proven wrong. Life is good :)

9. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Hell yeah. Happy for ya, bud !

10. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I got some crampons (shoe spikes) and some trekking poles for walking in these woods out here, which are all ravines and ridges, with precious little flat ground anywhere. I just went out for a test walk, because the crampons just came in (had the poles for a while), and it makes a massive difference!! It rained quite a bit last night, so the ground is still very wet (not quite mud but close), and I headed straight to a nearby spot that's extremely steep and difficult to navigate even in dry conditions. Oh, and the woods are now floored with fallen leaves, which, even when it's dry, can create treacherously difficult walking conditions. It was like magic! Only once did a foot slip, and the poles and the other foot kept me anchored nicely.

I also recently tested an ice axe my neighbor left behind when he moved out, for when you hit one of those almost vertical banks or hillcoks, where normally you just have to grab onto tree branches or roots or whatever's available. That also worked like a charm. Just sink the pick end into the ground and you've got a nice convenient handle to pull yourself up with. This is a real game changer.

11. Homer Potvin

Crampons are awesome. Never left home without out them when I lived in NH. Literally... you couldn't leave the house and walk two feet without breaking your neck once everything iced over.

Xoic likes this.
  12. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Active Member

A gift at Christmas; 'The Complete Calvin and Hobbes'; a four book set. A quirky and wonderful gift.
    Until this I was unaware of the comic strip; a huge fan now.

13. Homer Potvin

Yeah, good shit. I still have all of my comic anthologies from when I was a kid. Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, Garfield, Far Side... probably two dozen all told. I used to keep them in a bookcase in my bathroom until I moved in with my future wife almost 20 years ago. That was the end of that, unfortunately. I also had poetry books, sports trivia, short story collections in there. Friends from all over would come by my house just to use the bathroom. Take a dump, leave a joint was the arrangement. Good times!

Catriona Grace and Xoic like this.
  14. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I killed my airfryer a week or so ago, the wife just bought me a new one. A 26Q ‘restaurant grade’ monster. I’m not sure how well this thing is going to fit with my already limited counter space.

15. Homer Potvin

Never seen one in a restaurant before. I suppose if you ran out of stovehood coverage or were otherwise detached in a pantry setting it might be necessary, but only if Helen Keller was doing your layout.

16. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Broke my heart when Bill Watterson retired. The final strip was published on December 31, 1995.

Our comic anthologies are all beat: dog-eared, pages falling out, dirty. Both our children learned to read from Calvin and Hobbes books, which may in part explain how they turned out.

17. Xoic

I just got a hankerin' for the salmon patties my mom used to make when I was a kid. Isn't it weird how, when you think about a food, you can actually taste it? Looked up the recipe and I'm gonna start keeping a few cans of salmon in the cabinet like she always did, next to the tuna (I usually don't keep tuna either, but I should).

18. Catriona Grace

One of my favorite meals. Last summer, we went to Alaska and part of the party spent several days fishing. I told my daughter-in-law how to make salmon croquettes. She promptly cooked a salmon that hadn't been out of the water 12 hours, flaked it, and turned it into croquettes. Heaven. No, seriously. Culinary heaven.

Xoic likes this.
  19. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I was kind of resistant when we bought the first one, but I actually like it. It uses less electricity than my oven, plus I’m not waiting around for 20 minutes for it to preheat. It also doesn’t heat up the whole kitchen in the summer. It’s quicker than my oven, but it still has limitations. All it is is a table top convection oven. I don’t use the regular ove for much anymore.

20. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Active Member

I recently bought a few books. Among them is "Viking Women" by Lisa Hannett, which I've now read. It's an interesting account of Viking women in sagas and history.

Why am I reading this? Because I'm writing a historical fiction set in Iceland, in the year 1000 AD, and I'm trying to find inspiration. :)

21. Catriona Grace

You might look at Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years. Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times by Elizabeth Wayland Barber.

Rath Darkblade likes this.
  22. FrigidWriter

FrigidWriter Member

The Birds of Opulence by Crystal Wilkinson
    I bought Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, Seneca's letters from a stoic by Lucius Annaeus Seneca, and the Daily Stoic 366 Meditations on wisdom, perseverance, and the art of living by Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman. Also, today I bought two five-layer burritos and a small coke from Taco Bell. I am absolutely one hundred percent hooked on Taco Bell, I love it. Their food scientists have definitely got my number.

Xoic and Louanne Learning like this.
  23. Catriona Grace

Practice stoicism. Eat Taco John's.

FrigidWriter likes this.
  24. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Active Member

Indeed. As Seneca argues, "Virtue is sufficient for happiness. One's virtue, unlike one's circumstances, is within one's power."

Besides, he continues, virtue doesn't go with beans and chicken.

FrigidWriter likes this.
  25. Xoic

I'm gearing up for doing some hiking and camping soon, and I'm super glad I now have some really good warm clothing like a puffy jacket and some puffy pants and booties, all down-filled, plus some good wool base layer stuff (formerly called long johns). Sometimes I need it in the house these days, but especially any time I need to delve outside, even briefly.