Thoughts with Orlando, FL

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

From what I've read he was more ISIS inspired then ISIS led as there seems to be no link to him and the group outside of that last call that some are claiming was just to raise the ateoin the attack would get. Maybe the hate that ISIS spews Inspired this but those are not the only ones spewing hate. The other day I found a article showing fb posts land such about how at least it was a gay club and no one that mattered got hurt. I'll try not to turn this into a debate but the fact that people good people just having fun deid and is met with such hate, from disregarding there deaths to using them to trampoline polictil agendas made my stomach curdle. If this is how we as a culture acts at a time like this....I don't even know.

Again my thoughts are with the victims loved ones and those injured, this is a truly tragic thing. I don't have a religion myself but times like this....it's nice to think mabhe they found peace somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I tried posting on this thread several times now, but each time I deleted what I had written because I honestly can't find any words for what happened. All I can say is that my thoughts are with the victims and their friends and families. This is absolutely horrible, and I hate that a mental nutjob ruined the lives of others. May the victims RIP.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

This is... I've no words. Sounds like this was a guy who took his homophobia to the way, WAY extreme level.

And now I'm overhearing witness testimonies on the news...

Can World War III just start already and put us miserable apes out of our misery, please??

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Well a couple of things, apparently this guy was not homophobic, he was confused with his own sexuality, and that could have led to what he did. He had been to the club enough times before the shooting that some of the staff knew who he was. His wife also knew what he was planning on doing... and did nothing about it.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Then she should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Harshly. With no mercy. Their blood is on her hands, and she must suffer. A lifetime sentence in a highly secured prison facility will suffice.

Sorry, news like this make my blood boil to where I think of the most draconic thing possible. I need some good news to counterbalance this...

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

@Link the Writer

If you want good news, look at how the majority of societies around the globe reacted to the shooting. Countries putting the pride flag above their national flag shows which side humanity stands with.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think you would be amazed at how some of the worst "homophobia" (god, I hate that word) is internal. We are a community that is on the receiving end of a never-ending flood of garbage messages about who and what we are. Some people in the community don't have the tools to seperate this subjective garbage from objective truth. They internalize the poison and it grows in them. When the mere idea that there might be some small part of you that could possibly swing the other way panics your id into a tailspin like this, that's still the result of "homophobia".

8. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

@Wreybies I'm sorry to hear you lost a friend. My condolences and well wishes to his loved ones and everyone in grief. *hugs*

I was in a sad mood today. There were giant American and Pride flags flying together outside a building at half mast and I had to stop walking, stand there and take a moment.

@Lewdog Homophobia can be internalized. That is why some closeted gay people refuse to accept their sexuality and are very vocal about condemning and hating those who have come to terms with who they are. It wouldn't surprise me though, if in this case, the shooter might have been imbalanced.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I used to work in public safety (9-1-1), and I saw someone pointing out that the first responder cops and medics on the scene would have been hearing dozens of cell phones ringing with calls from people trying to find out if their loved ones were okay, and being unable to answer. Even more victims to add to the list, even if they never got a scratch.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Authority

Authority New Member

What is wrong with this world... My condolences, friend. This will not be forgotten

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Thought this might be timely for those who wish for more gun control ("prevent members of the FBI’s terrorism watch list from purchasing firearms, while simultaneously expanding background checks") after Orlando and other mass shootings.

An Easy Guide to Contacting Your Senators Who Just Blocked Gun Proposals

Oscar Leigh likes this.