1. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Treating Paranoid Disorder and Claustrophobia

Discussion in 'Research' started by Gammer, Dec 28, 2011.

In my fantasy WIP, one of my major characters, Rin is a ninja/spy for the Empire who is a pretty paranoid and is very claustrophobic. In the opening chapter, she nearly has a panic attack because she keeps imagining arrows and other forms of attacks coming her way. Plus she's in a forest so she believes that the trees are closing in on her if she stays still too long.

But my question is, what are some techniques to deal with these disorders? To avoid the panic attack I have her reciting a three phrase mantra and some breathing techniques taught to her by her "therapist" Master Yamada.

Are those techniques enough for her to be capable in the field? Or are there more ways to overcome these disorders?

2. Deleth

Deleth New Member

As someone who has known soldiers and has a couzin who is ex Green Beret (sp) (which your own ninjaesc thing sounds similar to in discipline) I can tell you that no one with those issues in 'real life' would be anywhere near the field of battle. Much less on special missions.

Just my opinion though, tis your story. :)

3. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Also... I don't think there is a cure for these disorders. It's just something you either get over or you don't I think. I'm sure there are things people try but I don't think there is anything official so for your story you could pretty much try anything that sounds reasonable to the average person (medication, maybe confronting their fears in a controlled environment, maybe hypnosis)

4. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can be very effective at treating this sort of thing. Especially the claustrophobia bit. Basically, you identify which thoughts are triggering the emotions, and you replace them with better thoughts. For example she could keep repeating to herself 'trees don't move' and that would make her feel a bit calmer.