1. jynxi000

jynxi000 New Member

Trying to get into freelance writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jynxi000, Sep 24, 2008.

So I have a friend who edits a local magazine and he says they are looking for some new freelance writers. I'm pretty good at opinion pieces and general reviews so I really want to submit something, but I can't come up with a subject. He suggested doing some music reviews, but they were over all very vague about what they were looking for. Does anyone do freelance writing that could give me some tips, topic suggestions, or any kind of overall advice? It would be greatly appreciated!

2. spacekadet

spacekadet New Member

Congrats! I'm a freelance writer and would love to have an offer like this fall in my lap. Do take advantage!

My advice is to read a few copies of the magazine and get a feel for its style. If it's a local paper and they want to review music, perhaps you could review a local gig or profile a local musician.

Hope this helps..
    Monica

3. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter Contributing Member

You might even review other areas of entertainment. I have a friend who reviews everything from musical plays to books to movies.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

is this a paying gig?
    is it a print mag, or e-zine?

monica's advice to check out content of a few issues is on target... as are her suggestions for articles...

it seems odd and unprofessional that the editor would be so vague about what is wanted... it would be professional of you to ask him to be more specific, before wasting time writing what might not be wanted...

does the magazine have a website?... if so, give us a link and i can be a bit more specific with advice...

love and hugs, maia

5. jynxi000

jynxi000 New Member

thanks for your feedback guys, it really helps. I did pick up a few copies of the Mag. It is printed, but it also has a website: http://www.worcestermagazine.com/
    I think the reason everything was so vague was because they were JUST bought out and put under new management, so the section they want to add entertainment reviews to isn't really quite there yet. Which is why I'm so nervous and unsure about what would fit in. Anyway I've decided to just write something on an artist I like right now, and see what kind of feedback they give me.