TV Shows

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Aug 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

I delve into too many medias to thoroughly watch the most popular stuff in every one. Unfortunately American TV series are probably on the far end of my spectrum so I'm fairly out of the picture a lot of the time. My favorite English/American TV series is Breaking Bad(duh!) followed by IT Crowd, Sherlock, Rick and Morty, and South Park. I also really like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Dexter, Mr. Robot, and the remake of Battlestar Galactica.

One series that might not be well known that I love is Halt and Catch Fire. People who think it glorifies anything need to re watch that series, it's so good I think I'm going to have to right my own review to clear up the misunderstandings around it. And another comedy I haven't mentioned, which I absolutely adore is Silicon Valley. As you can see I have a strong affinity for techy/sci-fi shows and comedy. They say laughter is the easiest way into a women's heart but I think that goes for anyone. If you haven't seen any on this list, I would recommend it to just about anyone, definitely some good stuff here.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Netflix picked up a MTV remake tv series of SCREAM. I got through maybe six episodes before I started getting board with it.
    Currently I am watching another Netflix series called SLASHER. It is good so far feels like they are trying to redo American Horror Story.
    Other then that I am not watching much. Just last week I was watching some random TV show and all I could think about was "Why the hell am I watching this crap?"

3. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

I forgot to mention 11.22.63 because it isn't on any networks. I actually don't have cable so my only source for television is Netflix and Hulu. It seems to do the trick for me, at least when they actually provide the latest episodes. :dead: For anyone looking for an American series that isn't on any of either of these platforms or cable television, I would recommend, Bravest Warriors. Especially if you are a fan of Adventure Time.

I also haven't seen Mad Men so please forgive me for that one, I'll make sure to knock it out when I can.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Rambling Chapter

Rambling Chapter Member

Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda.

I don't T.V out much, but this show definitely got me hooked.

cydney likes this.
  5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I knew you'd like that show.

7. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Friday`s the day man, space adventure fun man! Killjoy`s and Dark Matter 2nd seasons premiere Friday back to back. I`ve talked about Dark Matter before, but I just binged the first (very short) season of Killjoy`s and it was good old sci-fi fun, with a Farscape/Firefly feel with enjoyable charters and world building. Very excited to see how the 2nd season shakes out.

8. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

EVERYTHING happened on Game of Thrones today... I'm still in a state of shock.

RahnyJae and edamame like this.
  9. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

I haven't watched it yet. Even the episode name gives me chills. ^^

10. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Winter wasn't the only thing that came.

11. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Like this? http://theoatmeal.com/comics/winter_is_coming. :supercheeky:

12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Just watched S1E1 of something called "Chicago Fire". Yes, it's been out for a few years now, but it just came to Japan. Mrs. A suggested having a drinking game. Every time you see the Sears (aka Willis) Tower, take a drink.

I think I'd end up with alcohol poisoning.

[​IMG]

Kinzvlle and Oscar Leigh like this.
  13. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

So, GoT

John still has no rightful claim to the throne. All this means is that his last name should be Blackfyre, not Snow, and the actual King in The North is Brandon. In other words, if this is revealed, John loses everything, instead of gaining it. The only person who can make him a Targaryen is Daenerys, which would then cause his claim to override hers so probably not going to happen either. Even then, there's no guarantee of her becoming a ruler as inheritance of the Throne will avoid going to a woman as set up by The Great Council. The only way for both to have power within the current system is for Daenerys to recognise John and then marry him, putting both on the throne. Bear in mind that Cersei's official title is Protector, not queen. Who should be ruling at the moment is remarkably muddy, having to go a cousin of Stannis or Robert who did not side with them, or Gendry if recognised by any Baratheon.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  14. Kinzvlle

There's a whole Chicagoverse here man. Fire,Med.and PD with crossovers galore. I'd assume you'll be seeing those brought over to soon enough if fire does well over there.

On a non Chicago note..anyone here wacth Preacher? That last bit of last nights episode....I don't even know. Came out of nowhere.

15. Pindrop

Pindrop Banned

DARE DEVIL SEASON 2

I really enjoyed Jessica Jones until about halfway through when it began to concentrate on the policeman and lost its way. I got bored, I wish they had cut out three or four episodes to tighten the entire season. But, I stuck with it and it got back on track before the end. I had a similar but more extreme reaction to Dare Devil Season 2.

I actually stopped watching Dare Devil season 2 halfway through. I thought the Punisher was interesting but his arc passed too quickly (yes, I am sure he makes a return). I found Electra (the character and actress) intensely irritating, I mean to the point I switched the show off. I know that a character like that is likely to wind up dead, probably at the hands of the Punisher, but I just could not sit through the show to that conclusion.

Can someone give me reason to keep watching?

16. Pindrop

Pindrop Banned

Having just slated Netflix (the last season of Orange is the New Black was crap as well :() I should give them credit, I am really enjoying Stranger Things, and it is a joy to see Winona Ryder actually act!

17. Kinzvlle

We all knew Electra was gonna show up, given how prominent she has been in the Daredevil comics. Her portrayal here while better then the Afleck movie and its Electra spin off isn't perfect. A lot of the Stick and Electra stuff felt like it was there to set up season three. I don't know if you watched far enough to see who Frank runs into in prison. If you haven't wacth up till there. Some good scenes there IMO but you can decide for yourself.

Pindrop likes this.
  18. Pindrop

Pindrop Banned

Ah, D'Onofrio makes a welcome return?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. BWriter

BWriter Member

I watch way to much TV so my list of shows is huge.
    Hand of God, Mr Robot, Sons of Anarchy are all really good shows. Ones I find myself going back to all the time are Firefly, Chuck, Community and things like that. Also The Office US, the Americans did it way better than we did.

20. Oscar Leigh

Jessica Jones is the best Marvel thing other than Guardians of the Galaxy and Age of Ultron IMO.
    One reason to watch Season 2 Daredevil is Scott Glenn finally gets more than one episode of appearance. He's really awesome as Stick.

21. cydney

cydney Banned

I'm always curious about how society develops. This show https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knick is about a hospital called the Knickerbocker in 1890s New York. It's true that necessity is the mother of invention (quote anon origin). There are so many bigots & degenerates, so much prejudice, abuse & cruelty it amazes me. I want to think that society wasn't really that bad back then but it was probably worse.

At any rate, not only are the hospital methods barbaric but so is society. Both are badly in need of improvement. And thank goodness, we HAVE improved, a little. Not much but a little.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  22. Oscar Leigh

I've been thinking, and speculated with my brother so, that perhaps society seems to improve because of a sort of natural selection of niceness. As social creatures, and ones with strong and complex value systems, it is very much advantageous to the species for individuals to be good at working with the society around them. And that is why "the good guys'" seem, to win more often than not, because simply don't work well if we go against that more than the other side, as well as I'd say because there are more decent people than not. But of course, as we go along new problems arise from those same old factors, we can only get so much better, we'll never be perfect.

cydney likes this.
  23. cydney

cydney Banned

More often than not the guy with the best resources wins. Has nothing to do with good or bad. I wish it did.

Just something I've been thinking about lately.

I'm afraid if I believe anything else it would be nothing more than fantasy.

24. Oscar Leigh

Yes, but who gets the best resources? Often, though not always, it's the people who are a more attractive side. The ones who treat you better, who have values that are more attractive. People go to them, people are motivated in that society because they feel respected and rewarded. And that means kinder sides do often benefit. Even if some people in the society are faking it for that benefit, it's still a better society that that does that.

cydney likes this.
  25. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I need some recommendations for some new shows, haha!

Oscar Leigh likes this.