U.s. / U.k.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by jps117, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

No, I'm annoyed that Americans refer to Britain and the UK as England, when in fact it is not. But I'm not gonna argue about this any more.

2. Daniel I Russell

Daniel I Russell Active Member

You're a very proud Welsh girl, Lucy.

3. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Indeed. :)

4. Daniel I Russell

Charlotte Church would be proud.

(Sorry! ;) )

Anyway, back to the thread...

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Char-Chur! Fab singer...and Tom Jones, and Bonnie Tyler. ;)

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I don't, mythology and traditions made me see they're clearly different long ago. Wales has its own language, its own seven wonders (The Seven Wonders of Wales) and its form is like a giant man rising from the water, and pointing something with one hand (anyone else sees this too?). C.S. Lewis was actually born in Ireland, but lived in England. The Celtics who lived in Ireland had an interesting monarchy system, where there was one "High King". Scotland... Well, do I really need to say this? Loch Ness monster, bagpipes, the Highlands and the Highlanders... Ah, I would like to visit all the U.K.! (And Norway too!)

7. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

MARCELO RULES!!!

As far as what they're like today, the British countries are similar in terms of weather and stuff.

If you ever come to Wales, come to PT! :D

8. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I haven't really been taught much about Wales, Ireland, or Scotland, and most of our history books use England and Britain interchangeably. I'm sure that if we were taught more about the UK, we'd be less ignorant. I've even learned stuff from this thread that I didn't before.

So if we say someone is British, is that English, or does it also cover Ireland, Wales, and Scotland?

9. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

It covers Welsh and Scottish too, and it CAN cover Irish, but since Ireland isn't actually a part of Great Britain, it doesn't always.

10. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Personally, this never happens to me :D I write fantasy, so it always takes place on another planet, with a different land.

11. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I'm into urban fantasy, so I usually choose somewhere in the US and somewhere in the UK...I don't know why, but alternating between those two settings is when I write best.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you referring to writers of work that's actually published, or just to writers you see on forums?

13. jps117

jps117 New Member

Lake Highlands Area, Dallas, Texas, United States
    Both. Anything really.

14. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

Though I have never been to Wales (nor any part of the UK for that matter), I do hold a special fondness for it because Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Sequence is set there for a few of the books. Aberdyfi, specifically, is where most of it takes place. Anyway, that just to console you. :D

But I think the charm of the UK for us Americans is the mystique of a foreign country combined with the convenience of a shared language. It sets off fireworks for some creatively, I guess.

I myself would never set a story in any place other than the United States, just because I know too little about the small details of life to make it believable without tons of research. When I write about something in the US, I don't have to think about what stoplights look like or if the term "town hall" isn't used or whatever.

And what do British people call the sidewalk anyway?...That was mentioned somewhere here. I know loo, lift and boot, but not any synonym for sidewalk.

15. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Well that explains it...you suffer from cross-cultural indentity confusion. LOL!

16. Daniel I Russell

The pavement

17. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Most of my stories take place in fictional cities that could be anywhere but would probably be American cities if I had to choose.

18. Smithy

Smithy New Member

If the nationalists get their way they won't be able to go on doing so for much longer, 'cause there won't be a Britain left. But never mind.

I write fantasy in conworlds, but of the project I'm writing and the one I have planned my medieval was set in a culture very heavily influenced by Victorian Britain (deference, paternalism, prudish attitudes to sex, stiff upper lips and playing the game the way it was meant to be played) while my planned science fiction story is very American in feel, largely because all the best sci-fi conventions originated in America.

19. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

As a few people have said, I write in my own worlds, but their roughly based on Medieval England, as most typical fantasy seems to be.

20. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

Thank you!