Upgrade Feedback

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It appears to be fixed. However, the spambot traps appear to be broken.

2. the1

the1 Active Member

XenForo uses different anti-spam measures, I'm sure Daniel will get them up as soon as possible :)

3. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

Hi Daniel, just noticed in the Breaking Bad thread that my spoiler is not hidden anymore (I assume this is the case for all spoilers posted before the change).

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Wtf, I thought I already posted this! Oh well, here it goes again, sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the 'Like'-function equivalent to the previous 'Reputation'- function? It looks like my rep points have turned into likes or something. I'm just wondering can these two be used interchangably 'cause -- to my mind anyway -- there's a difference between liking someone's post and giving them reputation for a particularly well-written post :p The Like thingy reminds me of Facebook 'like'-function.

5. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

KaTrian - I think Daniel said before the upgrade that Reps would vanish, because the new system only has likes.

6. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Reputation was converted into likes. It's far from equivalent, imo, but it's similar. There was no available way to retain the reputation system, though once I get everything else sorted out I will look further into restoring it.

I'll try to restore user groups (contributing member, etc.) and bbc code now.

Also decided to go ahead with the albums.

7. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

I'm seeing [MENTION] tags everywhere.

8. the1

the1 Active Member

Seemed to be left over from vBulletin unfortunately but tagging works again @Anthony Martin

9. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I just want to say that I liked the anonymity of the old reputation system better than the new 'Like' system.

Under the old system, someone could receive reputation anonymously from people who did not want to be involved with the discussion.

For example, someone would give me some rep and say, 'Hey, I thought your post was great!' But they don't want to be publicly part of the discussion.

I just liked the private admiration better than the current, 'Yeah, I'm on this persons side.'

Just my two cents.

AnonyMouse, Pheonix and chicagoliz like this.
  10. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

For political threads, I agree that the like system should be anonymous (I don't even mind if we got rid of it). Maybe a separate politics subforum would make it easier to do this.

For the other parts of the forum, I'm perfectly OK with it not being anonymous.

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  11. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I also agree with JJ -- it is nice to be able to "like" or give props to a post without becoming involved (although I don't care if it's anon to the poster of the post I like - actually I prefer it not be anon for that person).

Otherwise, I'm old and I don't like change. I'm on vacay right now, too, so I'm not perusing as much as I do at home. I'll get used to it all. But I miss my green bars and rep power.

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  12. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I'll third that. Reputation seemed...cleaner, somehow. With "likes", it seems all too similar to other websites. I'll get used to this style, but if we could have the old system back, then I would be very thankful.

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

"Likes" are fine. If someone wants to compliment another privately, there is always a PM.

14. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I don't like that you can see who liked what so much either... Is there a way to do it anonymously?

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  15. GingerCoffee

Got a weird "Data Base Error" mid post composition. Fortunately it did not eat my post. But I had to split the post in two to hit "reply"

16. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

I don't know about others but the serif font for the posts is a bit awkward to read. I'd prefer a sans-serif font. I see in the user preferences that it's possible to choose a style - though only one style is currently available. Would it be possible to create a new variant of the WF 4.0 style with a sans-serif font for us to use if we prefer?

AnonyMouse likes this.
  17. the1

the1 Active Member

The Like feature now on forums is a step towards the Facebook like system. Liking things these days is the norm and thanks to Facebook everyone is just use to it.

The Reputation system is part of older forum softwares and seems it has been outgrown by all this liking.

I'm not saying the new way of doing things is better, I see the positives in both systems.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

me, too, liz!

19. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I disagree with those who prefer the anonymous rep system. If I give someone rep, I want them to know it came from me. I don't even particularly care if everyone else knows I gave that person rep. I used to be pretty meticulous about signing my rep comments. So I much prefer the new Like system.

BritInFrance likes this.
  20. thirdwind

I just noticed that guests can view threads in the Writing Workshop. I know that before the upgrade, you had to be logged in to view those threads. I'm not sure if this change was intentional or not, so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I prefer the old rep system. The new Like system is too facebooky and knee-jerkish. With the old system, you had to spread it around judiciously, so it required some actual thought. It meant more that way.

Anonymity is a good feature for a rep system. The flaw with the old system was that anonymity was the invisible default. You had to KNOW to add your name if you wanted the recipient to know who gave you a thumbs up.

Pheonix likes this.
  22. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I agree with this totally. Likes don't seem to be the same as Rep... I feel like there is a difference between liking something, and liking it so much that you want to add to the users reputation.

(Also... I really miss my 12 points of rep power... and my Fresh out of the oven contributor badge... :( )

23. GingerCoffee

Were they blocked before? I'm all for blocking either way. After finding out how much stuff is plagiarized off the Net, the more exclusive that part of the forum the better.

Pheonix likes this.
  24. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi folks ...I use a MacMini, OSX 5.8, at the moment, and it's not happy with the forum upgrade. When I type anything into these comment boxes, there is a significant delay before the text appears in the box. Feels very sticky. Any advice? My computer is clean, just been defragmented, etc. It's only 5 years old! Surely not obsolete yet!

25. thirdwind

Yeah, before the upgrade, guests couldn't view any of the threads in the Writing Workshop and in the poetry/short story contest subforum. Only registered members could.