Vampires and Wizards - What Next?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ralinde, Jul 24, 2011.

1. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

Thor, Percy Jackson, Clash of the Titans, Yeah, I suppose. I guess I'd like them to be more popular again, I guess.

2. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Doesn't it make sense that the next big thing will probably be apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic sci-fi? I mean, 2012 is only a year away (Not a believer, by the way), and it's only natural that people will be skeptical about HOW it'll happen. Granted, reading will get a LOT more depressing (I mean, who would be happy about the end of the world?), but I'd be a liar to say it doesn't interest me.

3. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

I think that vampires will still go strong for a bit longer, what with Shiver, Beautiful Creatures, and the Twilight "phenonenon", but after that?

My first thoughts were automatically James Patterson's Maximum Ride novels, which are fairly popular, but i don't expect mutants to become all too popular during the growing years.

A good population of the readers of Vampire novels are "fangirls", ravenous young women who prey on fictional characters, so i can't really imagine it to be giants, ogres, or anything of the sort. (though they would be quite entertaining)

I'm certainly hoping for an outburst of sea beasts, because they're some of my favorite folklore, and i had an idea brewing for a story about them that i can't find proper reference on. I'd love it to be sea beasts.

Ghosts and Ghouls... Well, i think it would be great, and people would certainly start reading more Avi after that. There are tons of Paranormal shows all around, growing constantly, portraying supposed sightings and confrontations. What with all the horror movies, i can see the genre growing more and more, to the point of them being "the next big thing". I've seen many a fanfiction based on ghosts (two, actually, but hey, whatever) where a main character dies, and haunts the love interest. I have never witnessed the end to said stories, whether it be due to lack of interest, or misplacement of the thread, but they are great ideas.

Pushing Daisies, Ghost Whisperer, Paranoramal Activities... Ghosts are probably going to be the next big genre in my opinion, or at least bigger than they already are.

I myself am a fan a fan of the Jessica Day George novel, Dragon Slippers, and Eragon was also quite popular, and the movie was fantastic. Dragons could be rather prosperous, but i don't think so much so as Ghosts.

Ninjas? I love the prospect of ninjas. They're elusive, clever, and downright sneeky. But sadly, people seem to be over-working them, and they've become more of a gimic than an actual character basis. I still adore the idea of them, and i think they can definitely be made into movies and books, but i can't see them being part of a big forthcoming.

So, initially, i think that its probaby going to be Ghosts and Ghouls and Grim Reapers, but i definitely wish there was more Sea Creature Folklore out there from this day and age.

P.S. anyone have any suggestions on sea-life/mermaid-lore books that i could read up on?

4. CosmicHallux

CosmicHallux New Member

It has been done--but it's never been quite as popular as vampires or Harry Potter wizards and witches, has it? I'm really asking, because I've not researched popular fiction that much. Maybe they can't get as mainstream because ancient gods seem more sacrilegious than vampires to most people.

I wonder if the postmodern era will allow for more diverse mythologies from ethnic minorities to become popular, because there are more ethnically diverse authors and readers now (in the west).

JPGriffin--I was thinking that too. Global warming is definitely going to stick into the next generation's psyche, even as 2012 passes--with its apocalyptic overtones. I'm betting that the shadows of polar bears will be roaming the imaginations of children as the real ones die off. The Road is, maybe, an example of fiction that responds to this.

5. aimlessramblings

aimlessramblings New Member

ive got a short story in the works, kind of a "break" from my serial killer story...

but the short story is a Lawn Gnome who is job is to save the the Lawn Gnome Race from the giant Ogre of Death and his Army of Trolls,.....but who am i kidding, none of my short stories stay short for long lol!

6. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

X-men movies. Nuff said.

I only liked X2 and Wolverine but the fact that they keep churning out X-men movies tells me that the mutant concept isn't far off. And I think if they're done right the Maximum Ride series will, pardon the pun, soar.

The vampire genre appeals to a lot of different groups. It's the reason it has endured since Stoker's era, because the vampire mythology is basically like clay. It can be changed and molded to suit the needs of a particular market and still appeal to hundreds more.

7. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

Kay, so i have no idea how to quote, so... NateSean!

You're right, that is enough said. Though i've never actually watched an X-Men movie all the way through (i know, sad, right?), you are correct, mutations are... big. And the Maximum Ride series is a personal favorite of mine, due to the fact they're what got me involved in writing (and it was the first full length novel i read). Personally, i think that the quality has been declining, but he's got the last book in the series to make it fantastic. Also, the movie should be coming out soon, but they've been saying that for that since book three...

Well, yes, of course, i'm just saying that a lot of teenagers are more into Twilight and Beautiful Creatures than they are in Stokers. Not that ALL of us teenagers enjoy that genre. I suppose you're right about the clay, I just don't think that will be happening within the next few years.

Keep in mind that while mutations and vampires are great subjects that can be molded and mass produced, i don't think that they're "the next big thing". i suspect something else to take over, but they'll still be very popular.

8. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

That sounds... absolutely wonderful. And I'm not being sarcastic at all. Got a name yet? (if it gets published, i might pick it up.)

9. aimlessramblings

No Name Yet.... i usually dont name my stuff until i get most or all of the story done, usually the work names itself..

... still working on main character development.... there is 2 Main Character, and about 4 supporting Characters , the Supporting characters all but 1 Die, and the Main Character is still unknown to what his fate will be, he will either return a hero or sacrifice himself for the good of the Lawn Gnomes...

10. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

If so, it will be a sacrifice for a noble cause.

How emotional will this be? Is it oh-my-gosh-i'm-sobbing-my-heart-out-this-is-so-beautiful, or would it be more downed down, with maybe a bit of watering of the eyes? or just, no reaction really from the audience in their regards?

11. aimlessramblings

well w/o giving away too much, 3 die a Noble Death, 1 dies a traitor...

really its a tale of sacrifice, its not a pretty *happy go lucky* story...its filled with tragedy, chaos....

12. CadillacXLR8r

CadillacXLR8r New Member

YES!!! Maximum Ride comes to mind when I see this!!!

13. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

So, what's the rating (if books actually had ratings, that is). PG-13? or is all R-like?

I love that book! it was the first full length novel i read, and i studied it (subconsciously), and it made it so difficult to write chapters longer than three pages! The way i got it was i stole it from underneath my brother's bed and read it behind his back... I'm against stealing, but i'm glad that i did!

14. CadillacXLR8r

CadillacXLR8r New Member

I find any James Patterson book humorous whenever somebody asks what chapter I'm on. If I say "Chapter 109" they'd think it is a super long book, but it is only like 300 something pages in. lol. Hey, did you read his first two before the current Maximum Ride series? When the Wind Blows and The Lake House? I did, and they were very well written, so I got into the current Maximum Ride series.

15. aimlessramblings

well definitely PG, due to situations dealing with death, violence...

16. Holo

Holo New Member

I think angels/fallen angels are becoming quite popular. And faeries will probably make a comeback as will dragons and elves and such. But vampires won't be replaced for quite some time now since True Blood, the Vampire Diaries, etc. are still running and the last two Twilight movies aren't done yet.

17. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Zombies seem to be popular right now. So are superheroes.

Is it just me or every time the economy takes a dive we have a lot more post apocalyptic movies and/or superhero movies?

Sci fi is becoming more popular now that some of the stigma of being a geek is dying down. Honestly I never thought I'd see the day when people would take that as a compliment. I was practically raised on sci fi. My dad is big into it. So I guess I come by it honestly. :p

I never really thought of being called a geek as bad thing. It just was.. To me it was like someone telling me I had brown hair or I was an artist. haha

18. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I think the super hero thing may slowly become more popular as it becomes more mainstream. So far, most books and films have appealed to the hardcore fans and followed the established clichés and stereotypes very closely. Once people dare to do something different, I think it may become much more popular.

For example, the idea that everyone has a (potentially) unique ability comes from the super hero genre, and is now used in vampire stories.

Then again, there may be no place for original super heroes when the market is filled up by the large franchises (Marvel, DC, etc).

19. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Well they just released a trailer for the Battleship movie not long ago. So the bar for franchise possibilities just got set much lower.

20. CadillacXLR8r

CadillacXLR8r New Member

Are we talking about movies or books as the next big thing? Because book-wise, there are still a lot of things out there that aren't really discovered yet... Example: Vampirates. I love that series. But nobody has really heard of it much...

21. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

Oh, yeah, when i was younger i'd brag to my mom about how i was already on chapter eleven (but it was thirty three pages in). I tried reading The Wind Blows, but i was reading it in a vet's office, and i got kinda bored, so no i didn't. I got into maximum ride because my brothers came home and were all excited about this new book, but of course i wasn't allowed to read it.

the temptation was so great that i stole it, read it, and borrowed the next two books from my brother.

Also, i don't know about you, but i read for a really long time, all at once, and while doing so, i don't make a sound. it eventually builds up, so i'll laugh, groan, or scream waaaay too easily while reading, and it freaks out the people sitting next to me. i was once reading a book with my brother sitting next to me, and i screamed at a romantic part, and fell of my chair. does that ever happen to you, reading MR? (like during the wedding scene for total and akila? i threw my book across the room cause i thought max and fang were getting married)

mmkay. I'd kind of expect that, what with the whole war thing. -- is your book going to be self published, or are you going to find some company to do it?

22. CadillacXLR8r

CadillacXLR8r New Member

I didn't get THAT into it, but it is one of the only book series that has managed to fit humor into itself effectively, in my opinion.

But I would love to see Maximum Ride become the next big thing, because I can say I read it before it was famous! :p

23. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Nope. Maximum Ride kinda.... meh. Characters are alittle stale. Never been a big fan of it. I think James Patterson is a mediocre writer, he uses ALOT of ghostwriters. And when he promotes his books, he's like : "OH MY GOD THIS BOOK IS THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER!" I hate it when Writers do that. It's so cocky.

24. aimlessramblings

Unknown... There are a lot of self-publishing websites out there.... I might look into that, i use said sites for my photo books for my photography clients....

25. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

Well, i didn't fall out of my chair because it was hilarious, and it was actually a different book. Not because i'm really freakishly into it. but ah well. and it's already being adapted into a movie, and on fanfiction.net it has the... fifth most stories? so it's already famous, isn't it?

Admittedly, i'm not too fond of how the story is going. i think that he's taking on too much, and that's why his writing is "mediocre". And it may not even be his decision. His publisher/editor may be pushing him to endorse it.

K. Doesn't barnes and nobles have some Pub-It thing going on? --- I've never been very good with photography. It always seems that photographs can't quite capture the changes, but that's when i take them. I know that there are a bunch of fantastic photographers out there than can take magnificent photos. i've just never been good with it.