Wayfarer's Tavern

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

To be honest, yeah, I know why. The outfits thing was silly, and made no difference to the gameplay at all. It was just, really, faffing about.

I don't play games much anymore I must admit, I barely had the time for them really, but when I do, it's either Skyrim, GTA 5, or Assassins Creed - if only because Assassins Creed reminds me I am a lazy, lazy man. BioShock I still very much respect, and Silent Hill 2, but those are more in the fond memory bank than anything else.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

There's a new Dead Island game coming out that'll be set in California.

EDIT: I also play Skyrim and GTA: V. I like the former over the latter, tbh.

3. Sword

Sword Member

All of you guys should try a new game: Town of Salem!

http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

It's a browser based computer game but it's very intriguing and can make you die laughing if you're playing with friends over Skype or Teamspeak or what-not. I'd call it a murder mystery game if I had to categorize it.

If you want to play you can add me! My in-game name is Corbin.

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm posting this from my knees because my cat is laying in my chair and I don't want to move her. The goofy things we do for our animals.

5. Link the Writer

When my cat is on my lap as I type, I hate to move because she's comfortable, even purring at times. I feel like an asshole when I do have to get up.

Lilly James Haro and thirdwind like this.
  6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Somehow @T.Trian and I survived two weeks apart. TWO WEEKS. Got bad withdrawals, and had to wrap his flannel shirt around a pillow and hug it at night pretending he was there. No shit either. The maid at Holiday Inn must've thought I was bonkers. :crazy:

Soooo glad it's over!

7. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I'm still waiting for that phase in our relationship when we can be all nonchalant about being apart, but after 7 years, I'm starting to lose hope of ever getting to that point: instead, it seems to get harder and harder to be apart. Those 2 weeks fucking SUCKED.
    My coping mechanism mostly involved staying away from our bedroom and only sleeping on the couch... well, passing out, more like, 'cause when I'm alone, I don't really go to sleep: I just stay up doing stuff until my body says "okay, that's enough, nap time," and I quite literally fall asleep where I sit for a couple of hours. I probably slept less than 24 hours altogether during those 2 weeks which kinda sucked, but less than going to sleep in our bed alone.

And yeah, so glad it's over. Never again if I can help it. :p

8. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I've decided to name my stomach Dudley. My belly is going to be Ralph. You might ask why two different names, but they are two different entities!

9. Lemex

I found this little jem and thought I'd share it. Some excellent examples of wit, and some surprising literary enemies to be found!

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/books/35-author-on-author-put-downs#

This also got me thinking. Honestly, I don't really care much for Poe or Wilde.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Canopyvine likes this.
  10. Link the Writer

Authors loved insulting each other since the early days. :D

Speaking of authors, why is it that some authors are capable of good descriptions in some sections of their book, but the others are chock with purple prose? One book I'm reading managed to describe zombies chowing down on one of the main character's friends with great effectiveness, yet chapters later the last sentence of a chapter literally reads: 'They freeze like animals in the wild confronted with the headlight of an oncoming train.'

Why would they do that? :meh: Couldn't 'They freeze in cold silence' or simply 'They freeze' suffice?

And this isn't the first time I've seen it happen. In The Inspector Pekkala mysteries by Sam Eastland, the overall description and action sequences are very well done to my eyes, but there are a lot of purple prose that just kills it. Here's a demonstration. From my memory, this is how Eastland described gunpowder falling from a hole in the barrel after someone shot it: 'it poured into a pile at the base, like sand in an hourglass.' Just...why? I would've written it as 'it poured into a small pile at the base.'

11. Lemex

Ever read Henry James? I actually don't fully like him, but his descriptive powers are phenomenal!

12. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Speaking of this, it's almost November, which I believe is the time for the announcement of the Bad Sex in Fiction nominees. Always good for a laugh and a shake of the head.

13. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Good evening and happy halloween (to those that celebrate)! I'm here because I have work to do, but I feel like I should postpone it just a little longer. Haven't been here in ages, hope everyone is doing well. :)

14. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Been watching Avatar: The Last Airbender. Its art style reminds me of Wind Waker. And it has a similar tendency to get darker than its age rating would suggest.

15. Adenosine Triphosphate

Though the constant stream of attacks that should be lethal but somehow cause only mild injury gets old.

16. Link the Writer

Just keep watching. People can get severely hurt if they're not careful in a bending fight.

17. Adenosine Triphosphate

@Link the Writer I actually saw Sozin's Comet when I was younger, so I know how the whole thing ends (and I personally think they should have gone the darker route). It's interesting, because there are times when the show feels like a TV-14 program, but then people get slammed really hard and get right back up.

18. Adenosine Triphosphate

@Link the Writer Though I suppose there's some value in having works of fiction that are idealistic but still grim enough to take seriously. Encourages principles and all.

19. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Given that it's for kids... But I have the same gripe with most of the kung fu films that came out of China last decade. Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers, Hero, etc. Swords and arrows everywhere, but little more ever than people being knocked out. I'm not asking for Hollywood style gallons of blood and "pink rain", but, you know... come on, now. :)

20. Wreybies

I'm watching Monsters Inside Me. Funguses are evil, yo. :dead:

21. KaTrian

Is that a TV show about weird things that can take residence inside the human body? Like meters long tapeworms?

(Do Americans say funguses or fungi? :confused:)

22. Wreybies

We say fungi. :) I just thought funguses sounded like I was scared and couldn't say the word correctly. :p :-D

23. KaTrian

Ah, now I gets it: them funguses!

Which reminded me: an American professor at Uni told me Americans pronounce visage as [vɪz.ɪdʒ] -- instead of the French way, and if you don't, you'll sound like a pretentious prick (she put it more nicely). That true?

24. Wreybies

I must be a pretentious prick, then. :whistle: I say it so that it rhymes with garage, which in America has the stress at the end, not the beginning, unless you're from some parts of New England.

25. KaTrian

Garage is a bit of a weirdo to me. I wonder if there's a trend towards the non-Frenchy, stress-at-the-beginning variation? I first noticed the different (to me different, that is) pronunciation in Supernatural, the TV show, and after I started paying attention, it keeps popping up.

I said vi-sage in a pronunciation test, which docked half a point from my final grade. :(