What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The poems if Marianne Moore. Yes, all of them.

2. qp83

qp83 Member

I'm reading The Paladin Prophecy. Not liking it too much though, so it's going slowly, one chapter every few days.

3. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I'm reading 'Smoke Gets in Your Eyes,' an American book about cremation, it's okay but not 'prose' so much, more tabloid. Reading 'about' W.H Pugmire who sounds interesting, a prose poet, was looking to find something for £1 or £2 but no luck so far. And am trying to remember, if anybody can help me - the name of the US/Canadian eccentric, who used to sell his books on the street, never published, and kind of crazy. Died very recently. I think there was a thread about him.

5. Lemex

He's a Cthulhu mythos writer. Don't check him out unless you can go all the way with Lovecraft.

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

No, I just looked at the amazon freebee and there seemed to be an energy about the words. I saw the pic on wiki - kind of hated him, of course, but was intrigued.

Lovecraft has passed me by, so far. I did Pink Floyd (do I mean B Sabbath or someone else?) Led Zeppelin and never back-tracked at the time. I liked Bukowski at twenty and Jeffrey Barnard's bio. Bukowski's still everywhere. I wish it was more diverse, other voices. It's just a perception of mine, I'm sure.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Lemex likes this.
  7. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I'm reading Curtains for three by Rex Stout.

Followed likely by another by the same author. I'm in a detective novel kind of mood.

8. Lemex

Finished reading the complete poetry of Marianne Moore. She's a bit inconsistent. A lot of it was good, a lot was sort of not. I can see why she is so influential in modern poetry, but I can also see why her herself is not a popular poet - she is very very dense. Actually, I think she's one of the more dense, complex, and difficult poets out there. Which is also weird considering when you start reading her she may not seem that way. At first she may even seem rather easy - but my god, read more and you'll see what I mean.

I think I like her, but she's far from a favourite poet.

Now reading Patrick Hamilton's Hangover Square. I've heard this is one of England's finest unknown writers, and so many other good things. So far it's all true, this book is fantastic!

matwoolf likes this.
  9. AlbertBarkley

AlbertBarkley Banned

I am reading "In The Line of Fire"

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Just started Emma by Jane Austen. Not really a fan so far, but I feel like I should at least read through her complete works so I have the knowledge.

11. Lemex

Patrick Hamilton's Hangover Square is one of the better novels I've read. Everyone simply must check it out. Rereading Jane Austin's Mansfield Park and Death in Venice by Thomas Mann for an essay.

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sword of the Bright Lady, World of Prime Book One by M.C. Planck. Basically a mild-mannered mechanical engineer from Arizona finds himself lost in a fantasy setting that's currently in the middle of an endless war. In a quest to return home, he pledges allegiance first to a collection of priests, then to a god of War.

Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes, the first book of the Hodges Trilogy.

13. Lemex

Can you tell me what that's like? I've not read anything King has put out since Lisey's Story and I'm wondering if I should give his newer stuff a chance.

14. Link the Writer

I've only started reading King's work. Dr. Sleep was all right, but it was more of a thriller 'stop the psychopathic people from absorbing shinings' rather than anything actually paranormal. He does like to flip to various different perspectives without warning, so it's a bit jarring for those not used to that style.

I'll give this one a read, though I think it's going to be more action-pack/thriller.

15. Lemex

What other King have you read so far? Some King I think is very worth it actually, I can recommend his poetry (no joke), some of his short stories, and one or two of his novels if you want?

I'm currently, now my MA semester is pretty much over for the year, and I just have to write two long essays now, have been listening to the audiobooks of the Harry Potter series while I write.

Link the Writer likes this.
  16. Link the Writer

So far? Doctor Sleep and that's it. I just entered the gates of the Kingdom. :D

Have fun with the essays! Glad to see Potter is keeping you entertained as you write.

Hwaigon and Lemex like this.
  17. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

If you are gonna read King then basically everything that makes a good film:- The Shining; and I believe Shawshank and Stand by Me are in the same compilation, and that's about it. I remember the first half of It being good.

I was travelling two years ago and the only books that weren't best-seller-list trash available were Iain M Banks and I got quite into them. Unfortunately the poor bugger is dying now.

I would recommend the following music to enjoy with any of the above

18. Lemex

Kingdom, hahaha! Very good. :D I like it.

Check out Misery (I'm sure you've heard that). The Shining novel is alright, worth reading, and the Kubrick film can only be understood alongside it I think. Salam's Lot is weird because it starts out awful, but by the end is pretty decent - honestly hair-raising. Different Seasons, the best one is Shawshank - Apt Pupil is very silly - Stand By Me is better than The Body, so just watch that - and Breathing Method is an odd little surprise, good though, I like it. Bag of Bones is another one I like, it's a very fun story. The short stories are often worth looking at, stuff like The Mist, Man in Black Suit, Riding the Bullet, and The Fifth Quarter are all excellent short stories/novellas. Lisey's Story, the first half is one of the best pieces of writing King has ever put out - damn shame, then, that the second half is among the worst.

The rest I've either not read, or are just sort of middle of the road - neither 'good' or 'bad', and I suppose that's something!

I recommend you staying away from The Tommyknockers though, that one is a baaaaaddddddd novel.

And yeah, returning to Potter again is something I've been meaning to do for some time. I've been wondering if my near irrational hatred of it is well founded - so far I can certainly say it is.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Link the Writer likes this.
  19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Finished Jo Walton's Among Others (great book).

Currently reading:

Joyce, Portrait of the Artist...
    Trevanian, Shibumi
    David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
    James S.A. Corey, Cibola Burn
    Dan Abnett, Ravenor

20. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Goliath by Scott Westerfield.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  21. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

@Link the Writer: Yeah, I'm a King fan and I can't even recommend The TommyKnockers. It was just so friggin' bad... I do suggest Duma Key, though. It's actually scary. And also ditto @Lemex on "Breathing Method."

Stephen King's short stories are good, so I recommend any collections you can get your hands on. One version of a collection was just a black book, sans any markings at all. That alone was a bit creepy, but I also bought it in a used book store: near the climax of one scary story, I turned a page to realise the previous owner had been using the book to kill flies. It made me jump.

22. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

King's son, Joe Hill, is pretty good. I liked his short story collection 20th Century Ghosts as well as Heart-Shaped Box.

23. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

The Plague by Albert Camus. Just finished The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford, and working through Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight Swain, (was that a laptop someone just threw at me?)

24. Lemex

The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud. Writing on sexuality, and so Freud is a must. *sigh*

25. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

Yeah, but generations later, you get all the cool existential interpretations. *not sigh*