What religion is everyone here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Freshmaker, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

No . . . okay, I'll say it.

I'm a non-practicing Buddhist. It's usually easier for people to understand me if they think of me as a atheist.

I personally consider myself an atheistic agnostic Buddhist with evangelistic tendencies. I like Lpspider's way of putting it. It's not a religion, it's a relationship.

Religion is one of my favorite topics, usually, but in deference to this forum, I normally wouldn't discuss it.

2. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

In a way, I do and don't have a religion.

I don't believe in "religion", but I am a strong believer in Jesus Christ and God and that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Although, I think religion is just something that you get into to worship God and Jesus. I don't get involved in such things. I don't go to church, but I do believe and pray.

3. lioness1612

lioness1612 New Member

First of all, my beliefs do not fit inside of the box that most religions provide. Not to say that I am not religious in my spirtital beliefs. The word religious means having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity, which I do. I just have not conformed to one specific religion or set of ideas, mainly because there is not one that encompasses my exact beliefs.
    Some of my beliefs do reflect one religion or another, and some come from personal experience, and through meditation.

4. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

You want to know what also causes war, people who don't believe in religion but play on it to motivate people to war. I think Religion is a motivator -- like a puppet string by those in power.

So if religion is just a puppet string, you can't say that it's causing war -- it's more like the puppet master with the ultimate agenda is the one that causes it.

There's plenty of wars that didn't take place for the sake of religion.

There was the American Revolutionary War, sure the constitution was drawn up around core Christian beliefs, but the war WAS NOT fought for god. It was fought for the sake of Freedom, Liberty, and Justice.

To say that Religion is the cause of war is silly. Just as equally as religion causes extriemists, alternative lines of thought outside of religion create just as many extriemists.

5. Felony

Felony New Member

not silly laimtoe but it's very likely it happens and you can't deny that.

6. Frost

Frost Active Member

People saying religion causes wars: Wrong. People and their distorted concepts, interpretations and greed cause wars. Not religion. The three big religions - islam, catholocism, and juadism are all peaceful religions. They're all peacful religions. The extremists that interpret the teachings and books in the wrong manner are what cause the wars.

As for me, I believe in God, but not the Catholic church for the same reason I mentioned before - people have corrupted it. I find it easier to believe in a God without constraints such as a church holding you down and not allowing for any questioning.

7. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

True Frost.

On the topic of this thread, if anybody consdiers going deep down into the argument, and ends up insulting someones religion and being discrimate, you risk a warning, this can be a dangerous field, so keep that in mind.

I myself am Catholic.

8. Felony

Felony New Member

those are not peaceful religion for your info. But I understand the point your comin from. U are absolutely right on the way it is viewed. People do distort religion tremendously such as hitler and osama. I thank you for that. :-D

I do not discriminate anyu religion and more power to any1 who can believe.

9. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

In all fairness though, Hitler was a crackpot!
    So is Osama.

10. Frost

Frost Active Member

So are most extremists. One could argue that so is Bush. He's the one raging off into the middle east because God told him so.

But yeah, Im easy when it comes to religion. I dont mind what they are, it doesnt bother me.

11. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I am a Unitarian Universalist.

Got angry being a Catholic, got bored being an atheist.. got confused being agnostic... became content with universalism.

Ah, it seems I change my faith as often as I change my underwear.

1 person likes this.
  12. Chamenas

Chamenas New Member

I am Baptist, which I believe besides unitarian universalists is the most open kind of church, which can be seen by the fact that some baptists are VERY conservative and some are VERY liberal, its actually kind of interesting to watch, but more interesting to think about because ultimately there is one truth we are striving for.

13. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Do realize that Catholicism isn't the only form of Christianity. (I'm a protestant).

Sure it's easier to believe in God without restraints! Of course! Why? Because with such a belief system, you make the rules, not a god.

14. Frost

Frost Active Member

Uh, no. Without the constraints of a church telling the rules and what the Bible says, you can find out for yourself. That's how I've always thought of it.

(Yes I do realise Catholicism isn't the only form of Christianity, it's just that it's the one I was part of)

15. Chamenas

Chamenas New Member

there are sects of Christianity that believe in a personal journey with God, where a church is a group of like-minded individuals who want to share in each other's personal journey's. They may disagree and try to persuade you to what they think to be right, but thats because there is one universal truth, they just dont believe that it should be forced upon you.

16. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Okay, I see. The way you wrote it made it sound otherwise. However, in this case I wholeheartedly agree. The church shouldn't tell you what to do, the Bible should.

17. Frost

Frost Active Member

:)
    Thats my motto, and I'm enjoying life for it.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't believe in any god/s or religion... imo, they're all merely social constructs...

i write extensively on the subject, so if you have any questions, just browse the 'other works' section of 'writings' on my site and you'll find all the relevant works titles under 'in whose name?'

oddly enough, some very religious folks have described the way i live as a 'totally spiritual' life... go figure!

love and hugs, maia

19. Frost

Frost Active Member

Believing in a God, and leading a spiritual life are different things. Remember that.

20. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Well I personally do not believe in god, or heaven and hell. If there are such places and there is a god, well I'm sorry but I believe in reincarnation, or parallel worlds. Maybe it's just the theory behind it all that captivates my creative mind aswell.

21. Neuromancer

Neuromancer New Member

Agnostic

22. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

:::said too much:::