What would you do if you were immortal?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by IHaveNoName, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Gareth MH

Gareth MH Member

Well essentially they still would begin with the same psychology that humans have, but with out the vulnerabilities and many of the drives that humans have. They no longer have the drive to eat, and procreate. But they'd still have the same drive to gain acceptance and esteem from their peers. Although that may become less of a factor over time as it does with normal people. However you might hypothesise that with the removal of the drives to eat/procreate peer approval becomes more pronounced in their personalities. So their culture may revolve around finding ways to contribute value to a greater good.

Then the question becomes what is the greater good to a group of beings that are essentially immortal? Maybe they don't have the ability do things like taste food or feel the pleasure of love making and the greater good might consist of ways to recover the things they've lost in their current forms? (like other types of magic etc) Possibly things like taking drugs, or using magic to find new forms of pleasure or higher states of being. Like a magical form of psychedelics or something.

Then there may be other members who's frustration at simple pleasures drive them to frustration which causes them to act out horribly, like indiscriminately killing and eating things because they're desperate to try and taste something or feel some kind of pleasure.

But I'd say that the island would basically be made up of what passes for experimental/scientific/magic research facilities, and libraries full of the knowledge that they'd gathered over the thousands of years. That and things of aesthetic beauty because they can still appreciate things of that nature in their current forms. Sculptures, gardens, paintings, buildings etc.

Thats my 2 cents.

IHaveNoName and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Of course, there's no one answer to this question.

Gareth MH likes this.
  3. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Most of them care nothing for mortals, but there could be a few who are lonely or need to feel approval, and thus work "behind the scenes" to improve life for the mortals - the vigilante someone suggested upthread would be a good example.

I retconned that "lack of pleasure" thing because it wasn't working. I need to edit my post. :p

Hadn't thought about the aesthetics thing - good idea. Yeah... they'd have beautiful gardens and such where they could stroll around in human form and discuss the finer points of philosophy like the ancient Greeks. I like that.

Of course not. Not all the dragons are going to be the same; that's why I wanted a range of opinions. This one will choose to serve the Imperial line, that one will gradually become a dragon in mind and body, and that other one over there will decide to delve into the mysteries of the universe. This thread's given me lots of ideas - you guys make a great sounding board.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I would become a superhero. Or get rich, see the world, do crazy fun stuff, then give the rest of the money away to people who need it. Do that for infinity.

And also try my utmost not to fall in love.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Yeah, but love always shows up when you least expect it.

6. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I know. I'd be such a cliche, darn it? Then we'd been getting into the discussion of better loved (and lost) than not at all.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

Sounds rather... Spanish. :supercheeky:

8. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

I'd figure out why I can live forever.

9. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

I'd probably get stuck in a hole somewhere, spend thousands of years in a ditch as civilizations rise, fall, explode, implode, and eventually make the planet unlivable for anything...

Except for me in my hole that is.

I really hope i don't life forever.

10. Oscar Leigh

Well, that's a dire prediction. Why do you think you'd get stuck in a hole without help or escape? So inconvenient. :p

11. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

The way i see it, if you're going to live forever then everything is going to happen to you eventually.

Bear attacks happen to 1 in a million? well if you're around for a million years then at least once its going to be you. This applies for every single situation, like falling into a ditch, only i see the ditch being like 10000 meters down. It's probably where all those books about people digging deep into the earth to unleash some evil thing... how'd they get there? My money is on them having fallen into a hole.

Oscar Leigh likes this.