1. CrystalWriter

CrystalWriter Member

When to write & When to plan?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CrystalWriter, Oct 19, 2011.

Sorry if the question is obvious, but going through a traumatic time at the moment (one i really don't want to explain on a public forum). Ususally i write as a de-stresser but anything from that doesn't make any sense, though can come out with ideas to work with later on.

I however do feel very strongly regarding the subject matter in question. So I have two questions:

1) Would you just start writing even if its still very raw or just make notes & plan for later on, when things are calmer?
    2) Is there ever a good length of time to leave things?

2. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Contributing Member

That sort of thing usually depends on the writer - some people can just write out of nowhere and come up with a coherent plot, others need to plan out some things first. It can also depend on what kind of story you're writing. If you want to write something with a complex plot, or a mystery story, it might be easier to take some notes and sort out the important details before you begin writing. Or if you're writing a historical story, or a story on a subject you are somewhat unfamiliar with, and need to do some research on first.

On a side note, I'm sorry that you're going through a rough time. Hope things work out for you.

3. CrystalWriter

CrystalWriter Member

Thanks suddenly BANSHEES,

What I didn't get across (slap wrist) is that I want to write about the traumatic event, its something I feel needs to be dealt with, My heart is screaming to write it now, but my head is saying to wait for a bit.
    Guess I could use nanowrimo as a way to get it down.

Sorry there are times when I need to get something down, and don't think it through. I'll work on that for future posts

4. digitig

digitig Contributing Member Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I think that's an ideal place for journalling. Write it all down in your journal (you do keep a journal, don't you?) and then when you are writing something with a character who goes through a similar trauma you have all the hot-from-the-experience stuff in your journal to pick and choose from, edit and use.

5. CrystalWriter

CrystalWriter Member

I do try and journal, but I don't always do it. Guess its time to start again. At least journalling is very calming

6. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

If it was me, I would write it immediately. You don't want the emotion to fade or lesson over time. You can always take out on a whim, but you cannot add in raw emotion later.